What's new

Tomatoes

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
People don't like tomatoes because what's offered in the super market or fast food joints are bland and tasteless. Those places serve card board versions of the real deal. A home grown juicy ripe tomato is one of the best flavors on Earth. The Empire would have never struck back if it had good tomatoes growing on the vine. Even if you don't like the homegrown tomatoes, I'll bet you like fresh salsa and marinara? That's a good enough excuse for me to grow some. If you don't have a back yard grow some in containers.

Go grow yourself a tomato and be happy. Or, seek out your local farmers market.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That's a nice one Owen. I picked up an organic heirloom at my local supermarket last week. It was pretty good not great. Much better then anything on the adjacent isle. They are hit and miss.

My favourite cherry tomato variety is the Sweet Million.

$Sweet-Million-Tomato-Seeds.jpg

In regular size, it's the Lemon Boy, the only tomato I would bother growing in my back yard.
$lemon-boy.jpg

The tricky part is determining when they are ripe, because they just change from a pastel yellow to a brighter yellow. You have to look at them closely.
They have lots of flavour with not so much acidity.

Toast, mayo, tomato sliced to 1/2", salt, and freshly ground pepper. That's it. :drool:

Last edited:
Don't forget to plant some basil when planting your tomatoes at home. Perfect companions in the veggie patch and the kitchen!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The insipid imposter should be boycotted. Sure growing your own takes a small bit of effort and it take time but it's well worth it.

I should have home grown tomatoes ready before Christmas.

$20161020_172531.jpg

and so it begins....

$20161020_172548.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It's a start. My fall tomatoes are setting. The weather is finally cooperating with a high of 80F/27C and low humidity today. For tomatoes to set they like a range of 65 low and no more than 90 during the day. All week it has been 92, 93. With night time temps at around 77,78....not good really. So, we'll see. It's all fun.

$IMG_2480[1].jpg$IMG_2483[1].jpg $IMG_2479[1].jpg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The problem is that real good tomatoes don't travel well. Once the locally grown stuff is out, usually around October 1st here, there's nothing decent until next year. Growing up we'd get "hothouse" tomatoes from the next town over, that were pretty decent if I recall, but nothing I've tried in the cold months recently is worth slicing. There's still some green ones on my couple plants but they won't ripen now.

Yes, give me a proper tomato (to-mah-to) or none at all. I can't abide the tasteless pap sold in most supermarkets. Mine did surprisingly well this year, and although I had to pick a lot when they were green because I failed to plan my holiday around the tomato ripening season, they still made great chutney.

Pick all your green ones before frost and bring them inside. They will red-up and be quite edible. They won't have near the flavour of an August vine ripen warm from the summer sun juice dripping from your chin fruit but they slay the supermarket offerings.

Still slowly coming along here, the ripe, yellow, orange and various reds, we beat the squirrels, still a lot of greens on the vines, no threats of frost yet.

dave

Top Bottom