What's new

Proraso – Do I really need anything different?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
No you don't. My son doesn't use anything else.

And you'll be avoiding a huge rabbit hole.

I still have a couple of partially used tubes of cream that I have not opened in years (wonder if it's still good).

I'm very happy with Proraso creams (both green and red) and Proraso soap (green), and I'm also very happy with TOBS, RazoRock, and Cella. It all depends on how you approach wet shaving. If you're okay with using only Proraso, then, by all means, stick with it and enjoy your shaving routine. But if you want to explore and enjoy the "hobby aspect" of wet shaving, then trying different soaps and creams is part of the adventure !

Thanks, everyone:

I'm putting together an order to just get the Proraso "bug" out of my system. Think I'm going for broke and just getting everything. (Red, White, and Blue... along with the Pre & Post Shaves... and, aftershaves, too.) I'm actually kind of anxious to try the Proraso (Blue) to be honest.

I do own the Proraso (Green) tub of soap, but it works just like the tube I've got and takes maybe 10-15 seconds longer to fluff up. The Proraso (Green) aftershave splash keeps the cooling sensation going a lot longer, and the scent fades rather quickly.

The one scent that I've liked was the cheap bottle of Pinnaud-Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum aftershave a girlfriend of mine purchased. Although, Bay Rum is one of those scents folks either like or they don't - I was thinking about pitching in a Barrister & Mann Bay Rum Soap to have around. You know, to try sometime once I've gone through the Proraso products.

Thats the nice thing about this hobby... you can do what YOU like.:thumbup1:

Proraso is an excellent cream. Stick with it until you are ready to explore other options, and those might be the other Proraso scents. I have the red (soap), white (soap) and the blue (cream)... amongst a "few" other soaps :001_rolle. I don't think I've ever gotten a bad shave/lather out of them... (Ok, the white got swiped by the LOTH and I haven't seen it since)

Getting into other products is a "luxury" type problem. Its not really necessary... but I like the options. If your wanting to go the inexpensive route though... check out Italian Barber. You can get a tub of soap there for under $5.... just to push you closer to that gaping rabbit hole we call SAD (Soap Aquisition Disorder):laugh:

The most important things... Enjoy YOUR shaves!! Life is too short for a bad shave!!! The only one that needs to be impressed is YOU (and the LOTH... maybe)

I am a big fan of Proraso products -- good quality at a great price. I think if I was lost on a desert island and a Dopp bag with only Proraso washed up on shore...I would be a happy man.

I honestly think Proraso is as good as anything I've tried. I've been resting with a sore back for the past 3 days, so last night I shaved a 3 day growth with my new Simpsons Classic 1 brush and Proraso Green croap. I got such a wonderful shave with a Merkur HD and an Astra SP blade (4th shave), that I honestly think I don't need so many soaps. I know it's just for variety, but If I were limited to just using Proraso products I would be a happy shaver.

Just an FYI. I saw someone post a shot of Proraso Azur Lime cream and AS on the interwebs this week.

In the pic there was also Cyprus and Vetiver, but it only showed it in Aftershave balm and splash.

Last edited:
After compiling a list of all Proraso soap, cream, etc. / aftershave products, it topped off around $100. (Unfortunately, Italian Barber didn’t have everything – case in point the Proraso (Blue) Aftershave Balm and Proraso (Red) Aftershave Splash.) My assumption of getting all of the different choices in the Proraso-line is a two-part solution: 1.) Able to try each of the pre & post shave, soaps, creams and aftershaves. 2.) I’ll have enough products to keep me busy for a long time to come. “WIN – WIN!”

Although limiting myself, I’m just going to hold off on considering other brands of soaps and creams for a while. (With so many Proraso items, it seems both economical and logical.) If I have so many to try / use after the purchase, then there will be a few more options in my choices for soaps and creams.

I’ll get around to making the purchase very soon. Thankfully, the members here are understanding of my logic and also find Proraso to be an adequate soap / cream to explore further.

proraso is a classic! enjoy!

proxy.php

Are you trying to say:
(1) Italian barbers used nothing but Proraso,
or
(2) only Italian barbers used Proraso?

Be it as it may, neither statement is correct, as last time I had a shave in Italy the barber used "Figaro" shaving soap from a tub, and Proraso has been sold to the public for longer than this 63-year old cares to remember.

Or did your mean "extensively"?

B.

Sorry I meant extensively :) yes, I had a couple of shaves in Florence and both times barbers used Proraso...and virtually every other barber I passed had Proraso - but of course there are also plenty that will use other products. I even found some variety in aftershaves they used. One barber used Proraso aftershave, while another used Floid.

I'll wait for Italian Barber to re-stock the Proraso (Blue) aftershave, and put in an order for (3) tubes of cream and a bottle of the aftershave. (Don't want to be without, you know?)

Will throw in one of the (Green) Pre & Post Cream, as well. That will finish up my Proraso (Green) collection. Have a friend sending me a bottle of the (Green) balm he didn't want any longer. Claims he only used it once and didn't care for the "chill." (His loss.)

I'll wait for Italian Barber to re-stock the Proraso (Blue) aftershave, and put in an order for (3) tubes of cream and a bottle of the aftershave. (Don't want to be without, you know?)

Will throw in one of the (Green) Pre & Post Cream, as well. That will finish up my Proraso (Green) collection. Have a friend sending me a bottle of the (Green) balm he didn't want any longer. Claims he only used it once and didn't care for the "chill." (His loss.)

Proraso is just "fine" but why would you not try something new like an excellent tub a Stirling Soap from Texas rather than mindlessly buying the same mediocre product. One of lifes greatest pleasure is discovering and enjoying new experiences. My advice is to branch out but set up a small rotation of 3-4 soaps or creams and NEVER increase the rotation size! SAD is a real disease that can get away from you in a hurry if you are like most of us ;)

I'm very happy with Proraso creams (both green and red) and Proraso soap (green), and I'm also very happy with TOBS, RazoRock, and Cella. It all depends on how you approach wet shaving. If you're okay with using only Proraso, then, by all means, stick with it and enjoy your shaving routine. But if you want to explore and enjoy the "hobby aspect" of wet shaving, then trying different soaps and creams is part of the adventure !
My thoughts exactly. For me the hobby aspect of this is to find the cream, stick, tub and puck I like best, and then try new things occasionally.

You should try out artisanal soaps and creams to compare them with your Porasso. TOBS and Porasso were my go-to brands until I tried Stirling Soap Company's products. Now Stirling is my go-to brand.

I started by looking for the historically significant shaving product lines. Proraso was one of them. Then I did like you are and started with one flavor, decided if it was great the others would be too. And now I have their product line circa 2014. Oh but, then, Speick showed up on my radar - another historically significant product. ...circa 2015 line. And, then, what's that almond flavored product from Italy?? Well you get the idea.

Enjoy!

My first detour from canned gel was Proraso green and now 5 years later or so, I still enjoy using Proraso. It's not a mediocre product IMO. All the flavors are pretty darned good IMO. You should do what you want to do. If using Proraso for now makes you happy, do it. Maybe in the future you'll want to branch out and try some other products. Do that whenever the urge hits you.

Top Bottom