What's new

Proraso – Do I really need anything different?

Hello, everyone:

I understand the rationale associated with wet-shaving – options. And, we all love having options, right? It’s one of the liberating benefits we get to experience being a part of this culture. “GO TEAM!”

I’m a new recruit who began fairly recently in this fraternity of fellow-shavers. Started my experience using a tube of Proraso (Green) due to its ease to produce lather and help protect my face… and, it has done a very good job of that.

Somewhere along the way, I really started to enjoy the cooling sensation from the cream. (I think it was when the shaving-brush arrived.) Now, it’s become something that I look forward to from my ritual of shaving. “It’s cool… literally.”

Although the smell is okay, I really don’t pay that much attention to it. The scent dissipates fairly quickly. Even the Proraso (Green) aftershave doesn’t linger for over 10 minutes on my skin.

Sure, I’d like to try different soaps and creams one day. Brands like: Tabac, Haslinger (Sheep Milk), Saponificio Varesino (Manna), Barrister & Mann (Bay Rum), Mitchell’s Wool Fat, and Truefitt & Hill (Trafalgar and/or Grafton). But, they aren’t going anywhere.

So, is there really any reason to try anything else for a while?

I love Proraso products myself, but I haven't been able to resist trying so many others. It's personal preference really, and you really miss out on finding other products that might really blow you away! Of course, once that happens, you could build up quite a stock of products. There is really no end to it!

I can understand all of those statements.

Maybe I'll just go through the entire Proraso line before moving on to the others I plan to try... one day.

So, is there really any reason to try anything else for a while?

Not really. There is a phrase used here, all the time, "My Go-To". Proraso is probably your Go-To. C. O. Bigelow, which is Proraso :)laugh:) has been my Go-To since I fell into this rabbit hole. I have tried Many products, and compare them All to my little cob......

Enjoy!

:thumbup:

To put this into another perspective:

I learned to drive, and passed my driving test, on a 1970's Volkswagen Beetle.

I thought it was a great car then and might have asked myself if I ever wanted to buy a different car.

Now, more than 40 years later, I am glad I did.
It would have been such a shame depriving myself of all the other (car) experiences I had since.

Which is not to say that nowadays I would not enjoy driving a Beetle once in a while.

B.

Good analogy, Brutus. I'll get around to "expanding my horizons" one day.

Since the Proraso requires no real skill to make lather, and I'm still such a noob at this... it's been rather fun to just learn how to wet-shave with consistency and no irritation. It's been quite an experience that I've enjoyed.

Still think I'll focus first on collecting the different Proraso creams and such. You know, give each of those a fair shot.

After that, I'll try and go through the soaps and creams mentioned in an earlier post above. Many of those have good reputations among many of the folks around here. But, as Dools mentioned earlier - I'll have my "Go-To" to compare them to, by then.

If you don't have them already, you can always add Proraso Red, White & Blue Creams to your rotation
And Proraso Red, White & Green Soaps too

Proraso has been used exclusively by Italian barbers for decades, literally! So it's a great option to stick with! As already covered above, there is a world of various soaps and creams to try, but that's totally up to you.
There are, I guess, 2 approaches and reasons for wet shaving rather than the current/modern 'disposable razor + foamed lather':
1) I wet shave to shave money, and great and efficient shaving results.
2) I wet shave for great efficient shaving results, but to INDULGE the senses - smell, feel, etc.

Haha I took up wet shave to option 1. But it's well and truely morphed into option 2!!

When you feel you are ready to try other soaps, try some the classics (Tabac, etc). Then try some of the wonderful artisan products.

All the best in this wonderful journey!

There is absolutely no need if you are happy with it.

However when I started I thought TOBS was amazing and bought three tubs before trying a different brand. Now when I look under the sink to pick my lather for the day I would rather they were B&M or Tabac or something else I haven't tried yet.

Still, your opinion is the one that matters and I'm sure you will save a lot of money this way :thumbup1:

I have three of the Proraso creams myself. I like them. But I also have many others. Why? Simply because I like the different scents. I am also relatively new having only started with creams this past January. As I find which ones I like the most, those will get replaced as they are finished and the ones I don't like as much won't get replaced. And I'll find others to try. For me, part of the morning experience is trying a different scent every day. All of the creams I have perform pretty similarly. At least according to my inexperienced database. Basically I only have three brands. TOBS (Sandalwood, Eton College, Lemon & Lime, Aloe Vera, Mr. Taylors, Jermyn Street), Proraso (Red, green and blue) and Musgo Real (Classic and Oak Moss). I am curious about some others, such as Castle Forbes and Stirling. Just the simple act of changing it up each day gives me pleasure. But hey, that's just me. Everyone's different.

Your shave, your rules. Do whatever pleases YOU. The day may come when you want to try other products, but if you currently have no desire to move away from the Proraso green, then don't.

Proraso Green is very good. I have Green, Red, & Blue. I slightly prefer the Red because I really like the scent. Like many members here I enjoy trying out different things and having options everyday. For me, it was simply a fun part of the exploration process of this hobby.

My top 3 current production are Haslinger Marigold (I lhaven't tried another scent, but this soap has the most cushion of anything and I love cushion), Mike's Natural Peppermint & Rosemary (very slight cooling and a nice natural scent), and Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood & Myrrh.

My top 3 are all soaps, but I've only tried Proraso creams and TOBS rose. Use what you like and keep shaving!

Thanks for the support, everyone:

One day I’ll try something else. I know I will. It’s inevitable. Have just heard such good things about the ones mentioned in my original post. (And, the holidays are not far off… so, those can be gifts from family that already say I’m the hardest to purchase for out of everyone else.) Would be a cheaper way to try them out, at least.

A few things tend to stand out with the Proraso products: four different selections to choose from, a couple have something called “Pre / Post Shave” options I have yet to investigate, there’s aftershaves catered to each, the yogurt-like consistency happens in seconds, and of course… it’s inexpensive compared to many other soaps / creams. The last two seem to be quite significant benefits.

For the moment, I assume that my focus will be on sticking with the Proraso-line. Obviously, there are plenty of items to try with each flavor / color. And, I can save my pennies from continuing to use them to put toward other items as “special” treats for myself. Who knows? I might just end up finding something that changes my whole perspective on wet-shaving because of it. Anything is possible.

Proraso has been used exclusively by Italian barbers for decades, literally!

Are you trying to say:
(1) Italian barbers used nothing but Proraso,
or
(2) only Italian barbers used Proraso?

Be it as it may, neither statement is correct, as last time I had a shave in Italy the barber used "Figaro" shaving soap from a tub, and Proraso has been sold to the public for longer than this 63-year old cares to remember.

Or did your mean "extensively"?

B.

For as good as any soap or cream can be, it's more fun to try other brands. However I could most definitely understand why someone would stick to one brand. I don't but I understand why one would.

Proraso has performed just as well as anything else I've tried and for the price cannot be beaten. If you want to expand your shave soap/cream experience by all means do so, however, there is no need to only desire to.

Top Bottom