What's new

"Pot of Beans" as a side for tacos?

A taco recipe i'm going to be making suggests a 'pot of beans' as a side dish. What makes a proper pot of Mexican beans? I know Boston Baked Beans, your basic beans with tomato sauce in can but have no idea on a true to Mexico pot of beans? Or should this be a Tex-Mex adaptation?

Thanks
dave

I like to use my pressure cooker, add water, pinto beans, diced onions, a can of chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, and a few fresh links of Chorizo removed from the casing and broken up. Cook for 30ish minutes in the pressure cooker or do on the stove or crockpot, your choice. I made up this recipe because plain pinto beans are just too boring.

When I make a pot of beans for consumption with Tex Mex, I flavor them with an onion, a ton of garlic, cumin, and chili powder. I also throw in a hunk of pork of some kind.

Boracho Beans

Soak Pintos overnight in a bit of salted water, Slow Cooker or Crock pot. Beans in pot, salted water, and any beer I use Coors, Jalapenos, pepper, ancho chili paste, onions, garlic add some fresh Chorizo and Some Cholula. load in the morning leave. come home at night make tacos or Just grab some fresh corn tortillas and grab a bowl, and a beer and heaven awaits:lol:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Boracho Beans

Soak Pintos overnight in a bit of salted water, Slow Cooker or Crock pot. Beans in pot, salted water, and any beer I use Coors, Jalapenos, pepper, ancho chili paste, onions, garlic add some fresh Chorizo and Some Cholula. load in the morning leave. come home at night make tacos or Just grab some fresh corn tortillas and grab a bowl, and a beer and heaven awaits:lol:

Charro beans are a good alternative. I prefer them because of the salt pork or bacon (wife usually does bacon)

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/frijoles-charros-mexican-pinto-beans-bacon-recipe.html

The wheels are turning... looks like it's only going to be the two of us at dinner so this time at least, will be a very small production. (I cook to avoid leftovers)

Thanks guys, all the input is very much appreciated!
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The wheels are turning... looks like it's only going to be the two of us at dinner so this time at least, will be a very small production. (I cook to avoid leftovers)

Thanks guys, all the input is very much appreciated!
dave
Some things get better as leftovers. Charro and barocho beans both get better after a day.

Some things get better as leftovers. Charro and barocho beans both get better after a day.

In a case like that, as when i cook Osso buco, i'll cook it the day before i plan to eat it so it has time develop. There are some soups and stews i can enjoy again soon after as a leftover but i'm generally pretty let down and it's a missed opportunity to try something new. I'll make a meal twice in week from scratch or transform a leftover into something new or leave the leftovers for my wife and daughter as they're happy with them but i'm generally happiest to just pass.

dave

Since I moved to Texas in 1993 , I see this served with tacos at most homes and cookouts.

proxy.php

Thank you to all for the suggestions, the deed is done! Our daughter stuck around for the weekend after all so an extra mouth to feed. Kept it simple and quick going with a can of pintos. The tacos were vegetarian so used a local chorizo for some meat in the beans along with onions, garlic, chipotles, toasted & ground cumin and a Louisiana (not the Cholula) Habenero hot sauce.

Mostly Mexican and Canadian ingredients, we have a local restaurant called Mexi-Can, been around a few decades now, so i'll borrow that name for these Mexi-Can beans. Served with feta sprinkled on top and some of that Cholula. Quite nice!dave

Top Bottom