What's new

Leather Bags

Hello my haberdashery brothers of the blade. I have yet to post in this forum yet, but cannot think of a better one in which to find the knowledge/experience I'm seeking. That being said, I've had 2 daughters in the past 4 years and am approaching 30 years old. I've found that I am a more calm and appreciative version of my younger self, and in that discovery, have taken a real liking to sturdy leather bags. I like the rugged/rigid types as opposed to the soft/luxurious versions. They appeal to me because I ride a motorcycle and am planning on trips. I have proper motorcycle luggage, but would also like something that can take a little punishment, whether it be from airline travel or inclement weather on the old put-put.

Which brings me to the reason I'm posting. I'd like to get some feedback before I invest in a serious bag or two. I SERIOUSLY like everything about the Saddleback leather brand, their stuff looks like it fits my every fancy, right down to the 100 year warranty, the slogan of "they'll fight over it when you're dead", and the extra sturdy construction in which they use no zippers or snaps because they become weak points in the stitching. Does anyone have any bags from them? Has anyone gotten to examine one? Or what bags do you suggest I also look into before I drop the WHOPPING price tag that they command. The company makes quality, no argument there, but upwards of $1k for a leather bag just kills me, so I'm really hoping there are comparable alternatives out there that I have just not come across. Help me guys! Pictures appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Without going into the quality question (and I have no doubt that Saddleback is top shelf).

Seeing as you already have motorcycle luggage, do you need something in addition for your trips?
Have you ever had to carry a heavy leather bag through an airport or around town?

In your boots, I would be tempted to buy 2 pieces... 1) an extra piece of motorcycle-specific luggage for your bike trips and, 2) a Rimowa rolling suitcase (choose a size) in alumimium for your other travels.

It is a sad fact of life that "luxury" luggage seems to be the most targeted by people who wish to steal or damage the property of others. Cutting down the risk of that happening has always made sense to me and until I am flying in a private plane, I am more than happy to have my luggage look similar to everyone else's.

I agree, Owen. And I wish it were only $10,000.

My son works for a money management firm. They have a client who spent $3,000,000 on his daughter's wedding a few years ago. Mind boggling.

I never understood paying 5 to 10k for a wedding. That can go toward the purchase of a house.

I have a large Saddleback briefcase, a smaller satchel, a large billfold, and finally a notepad cover. Quality is outstanding, but everything they make is heavy.

My son works for a money management firm. They have a client who spent $3,000,000 on his daughter's wedding a few years ago.

$3307f1f9151889b4860a4046b27b9629.jpg

That's GREAT, Tony. Perhaps the only good thing about spending that kind of money on a wedding is giving Che heartburn!

:lol: :lol:

It was not clear if you are most interested in a duffel, backpack, messenger style, etc. I cannot help answer your question since I have only been interested in a smallish leather satchel, but I might implore that you think hard about your future self and travel needs before buying big leather bags. If your future self does a lot of long distance travel and especially international travel the extra weight might become an issue to haul around through terminal connections such as arriving at gate A1 and departing via gate E65. Also some airlines charge by the kilogram over a certain amount so a heavier bag will have future costs attached to it whether checked or hand carried. They also tend to have less internal structure or organization which can mostly be solved by using packing cubes, but once you start using that approach to packing then a lighter weigh nylon duffel might be a better functional choice.

Red Oxx, Tom Bihn, Filson, and NOMAR Alaska bags, are worth investigating if you have not already as potential alternatives. They offer a number of styles that will last a long time.

I did not follow their progress but the Pack Animal kickstarter which makes motorcycle travel bags also looked interesting.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I like Saddleback for the "rugged" and in the past bought several very nice (and some "okay") pieces ... but ... over the past year or two they have
a) decided that scarred leather is just "characterful" rather than "defective", and
b) upped their prices quite a bit.

They are sort of off my radar nowadays.

I never understood paying 5 to 10k for a wedding.

... said no bride ever.

I found a newer company called Kendal and Hyde. They seem to make quality products. I've purchased their satchel medium in the mocha/brown. I also ordered a couple add-ons (leather conditioner, accessory straps, backpack straps (for the bike), and side pocket,

Not sure what you are looking for or what you are planning to carry in it. I just recent saw a relatively new company that makes bags with waxed canvas and leather. Although the largest bag is pretty small, it is big enough to carry a 12.9 inch Mac Pro and a few items. It does have a strange name though. Nutsacbag.com. The larger bag is: https://nutsacbags.com/product/satchel-pro

I may get it in the near future.

Not sure what you are looking for or what you are planning to carry in it. I just recent saw a relatively new company that makes bags with waxed canvas and leather. Although the largest bag is pretty small, it is big enough to carry a 12.9 inch Mac Pro and a few items. It does have a strange name though. Nutsacbag.com. The larger bag is: https://nutsacbags.com/product/satchel-pro

I may get it in the near future.
The use is just going to be everyday/professional. I have a somewhat less, but still active, lifestyle now that I have 2 daughters. But I have always preferred overbuilt and sturdy/rugged items because I tend to be rough and need them to hold up to the lifestyle. I also enjoy a good heavy leather that will break in and last me until I don't need them anymore. So this was a "buy once cry once" purchase. I spent the green-backs now so that I'll never need to buy another, and for that type of quality, it takes moo-lah. And for the professional side, I am currently a medical scientist that is having thoughts of attending medical school. So I need a "professional" type office bag that says I earned this spot, but I could also kick the last guy's @$$, lol. It will be the usual stuff, reference materials, case studies, computer, maybe the occasional sensitive item of glass slides with patient information and cellular samples. So it needs to be a rigid bag as well for some-what protection. And I didn't want a straight up briefcase, that's just not me.

I like Saddleback for the "rugged" and in the past bought several very nice (and some "okay") pieces ... but ... over the past year or two they have
a) decided that scarred leather is just "characterful" rather than "defective", and
b) upped their prices quite a bit.

They are sort of off my radar nowadays.

+1
I have their medium classic briefcase but it has been in a closet for ages now. It is way too heavy to use for me.
Nice bag, but it was hard justifying at their old prices, now it is impossible.

If you are looking for a bag that is best suited for motorcycle travel, I humbly suggest something from Ortlieb. Some years back I put most of what I owned in storage and lived on my motorcycle, riding across the North American Continent for months. I used two Ortliebs (different sizes), the bike's (BMW) OEM Saddlebags and a Rev-Pack tank bag. Carried all I needed and then some. Everything was dry and they packed very well. Not stylish but totally functional. Oh, and leather is horrible once it gets wet. Not a great choice for riding in the rain...or Pacific Northwest...or South Florida in the summer.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
+1
I have their medium classic briefcase but it has been in a closet for ages now. It is way too heavy to use for me.
Nice bag, but it was hard justifying at their old prices, now it is impossible.

There's an additional factor for me, in that I have to buy in US$ with Can$ ... and the conversion rate has become quite unfavourable of late. Not that this affects US buyers, but us international folks have to consider how exchange rates are going. The Canadian dollar was worth $0.95 to $1.00 for the longest time (basically mid 2009 to 2013 or so) but has fallen significantly since then. We're basically at 75 cents to the dollar ... so justifying a major purchase from the US becomes harder to do right now.

Scout around...there is a boatload of Ortlieb dealers in Canada. Look mostly at bicycle supply places or whitewater/river outfitters.

There's an additional factor for me, in that I have to buy in US$ with Can$ ... and the conversion rate has become quite unfavourable of late. Not that this affects US buyers, but us international folks have to consider how exchange rates are going. The Canadian dollar was worth $0.95 to $1.00 for the longest time (basically mid 2009 to 2013 or so) but has fallen significantly since then. We're basically at 75 cents to the dollar ... so justifying a major purchase from the US becomes harder to do right now.
I am in the UK so I know what you mean. Not to mention the shipping and customs charges.

Top Bottom