What's new

Raiders Choose Glock 19.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Why go to such great lengths to forcibly leave size and weight out of the equation?

"Modern expanding bullet technology" and cherry-picking which loads to consider can only do so much.

If modern hollowpoint technology were left out of the equation, I would take the .45 ACP in FMJ. However, modern technology does rule the day, so it's faster and more bullets for me. :)

It was called the .41 magnum. :001_smile

I wonder if there is a semi in .41 Magnum? Might be worth looking at.

OkieStubble

OkieStubble and his threads he begins here on Badger & Blade are great!

I think we both, have a little troll in us Noel. ;)

I agree with you on bigger bullets. The Glock 19 is only my off duty carry, much the same as your .38. I carry the Glock 23 at work and if I could only choose one, it would be the best of both worlds.

The .40 S&W HST. 185 grains of *** kicker, going 1200 fps.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I didn't see your post while I was in the midst of pontificating.

Yes it is. Funny that Pancho Villa was mentioned earlier by OkieStubble for that's Pancho Villa, the Model 1905 Colt .45. I never really got into naming my guns like some do. That one has a story though.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-semiauto-pistols/9836-pancho-villa-colt-model-1905-a.html

Kewl...did you ever get it lettered?

I wonder if there is a semi in .41 Magnum? Might be worth looking at.

You're not going to get as much power out of a semi as you can a revolver. About the closest thing, I think, would be the 10mm that came out with the same idea as the .41...reduced loads for defensive carry and full-house loads if the situation warranted. Then they just went to the .40 S&W which is basically a reduced load 10mm.

But a full-house 10mm load is only about the same power as a standard .41 mag. The .41 can be hot rodded pretty hot. But how much is too much in a defensive round where muzzle flip and recoil is concerned.

No, I haven't. I'm still intending to "get around tuit."

Love .41 Magnum!

Haven't tested the best the 10mm has to offer over the chronograph yet, but it's going to have to bring it's lunch if it wants to take on the .41 Magnum.

It is, jkingrph. And, I'm really enthused about it.

Just a standard Delta Elite that I "snuck up on" brand new at a good price in a small gun shop in Goldthwaite, Texas back in February of this year. Great cartridge and great package. The Colt 10mm is a well-mannered pony. Ought to be great for handloading fun when I have some time to devote to it.

As original.

With one of the styles of Altamont stocks, customized by them with a pair of Delta Elite medallions I picked up off of Ebay and sent along to them. Altamont's great to work with!

Can't do rubber on guns. It's an offense to the eye. 10mm recoil's not as ferocious as internet gun forums sometimes claim, being about the same as as a good stout .45 ACP handload. This close-up shows detail and the true color and hue of the stocks.

Check it out. The new with the old. The brand new stainless Colt juxtaposed with a (probably) pre-WWII Brill holster. I toted this combination to town beneath a sport coat one morning recently. Best 1911 holster for use that I've ever seen. Wish someone made an exact recreation of it for I'm reluctant to make serious use of the original.

Back to the topic at hand. I really don't care what the Raiders or everybody else chooses to believe in and chooses to carry. 9mm is a perfectly acceptable, if a bit of a ho-hum cartridge within the pecking order of genuinely suitable personal defense cartridges. Terminal ballistics aren't especially enhanced simply because the bullet is fired from a 9mm pistol. The Glock 19 is a reasonable choice as a compact pistol, even if it wasn't handed down at Mount Sinai as so many in internet-land seem to feel. If I am to carry an automatic pistol that size, it's too easy to tote pistols chambered for cartridges with larger bores and heavier bullets. It's not a huge deal just to pack a full-sized 1911 gun. That's what I mostly take along if I carry an automatic. I admire the .45 and its heavy bullets more than I admire "lots-a'-bullets."

There are cartridges out there that are everything the 9mm is cracked up to be, yet isn't. Both the .38 Super and .357 SIG come to mind. I've certainly not sampled each and every 9mm factory load out there, but my paltry chronograph tests indicate that it's tough to find 125 grain 9mm ammunition that is truly capable of cracking 1100 fps until one gets into the +P and +P+ boutique manufacturers' offerings.

9mm guns live here. I might investigate a CZ 75 BD I'm keen on as a potential future "toter." If carried it'll be loaded with one of the 147 grain offerings.

All this is fun to consider and pontificate about. What's humorous is that I most frequently carry any of several plain 'ol .38 Special revolvers, stoked with +P 158 grain lead SWC-HPs or its handloaded equivalent. So, I don't admire the 9mm, yet carry its revolver equivalent.

OkieStubble and his threads he begins here on Badger & Blade are great!

That is one good looking gun. I have had my Delta Gold Cup since the early 90's, when they first came available. I have modified mine quite a bit, extended slide release, safety, and beavertail grip safety. All rather easy installations, and a full length guide rod. I also got rosewood grips from King gun works in California with their medallion, which shows a crown and name King underneath, since that is my last name. I did not like the rubber grips either. I also have a totally matching model in 45 APC. The 10 mm is by far the most accurate, and have done some pretty good shooting at gongs, ect off hand at 60-70 yards with it, but that has been some years back.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I love that old Brill holster.

No, I haven't. I'm still intending to "get around tuit."

Love .41 Magnum!

Haven't tested the best the 10mm has to offer over the chronograph yet, but it's going to have to bring it's lunch if it wants to take on the .41 Magnum.

Yup, the 10mm better bring lunch, dinner, AND breakfast for the next day. I've got some .41 mag. 230 gr. SWC moving at a bit over 1,200 fps. that should arrive today. Not as hot as Buffalo Bore but less than half the price and I think that load should topple a wild hog just fine.

I don't think you're going to find any hotter factory loads than Buffalo Bore's. Take a look at the energy level differences between the .40, 10mm, and the .41 mag.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=25

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=24

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=18

Whew! That Buffalo Bore .41 Magnum stuff is stout!

Best handload I've tested was using an old box of Speer 220 grain half-jacket semi-wadcutters (now discontinued) and H110 to run 1365 fps over the chronograph. Should give a bit over 900 ft./lbs. muzzle energy. Took a deer with it a few years back. Texas deer don't offer much against the .41 Magnum.

I've got some of that Buffalo Bore 10mm in the 180 grain JHP and the 220 grain cast guises, idling on top of an ammo locker, waiting to be shot in testing. Then some handloads will be prepared that attempt to duplicate it. Seems that Buffalo Bore ballistics has proven difficult to exactly duplicate for me, at least in other calibers. Perhaps a deer will fall to the 10mm soon.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh yeah, the Buffalo Bore stuff is stout. I have their .38 special +P FBI load in my .357, and carry their standard pressure .38 FBI load in my Colt Cobra. The Cobra bucks quite a bit more with it than the regular factory RN bullets. I've "heard" that BB uses powders that are not available to hand loaders is how they get such hot loads that are within SAAMI specs.

My old reloads in .41 using a hard cast 220 gr. SWC ahead of 20.0 grains of H-110 shows on the Hodgdon's site as having 1,500 something fps., but that's out of a 10.5 inch barrel. I should have been getting about 1,200-1,300 or so from my 6.5 inch Blackhawk, which should be close to what I have on order that shows to have 777 or so ft. lbs. of muzzle energy.

That being said...the 10mm is no slouch for when you need some extra punch, and the .40 S&W is just fine by me for defensive work.

Pero...I'll take my .45 acp over my Glock .40 for carry, although I seem to carry the .38 with the FBI load the most. :001_smile

OkieStubble

I have been enjoying these posts and have learned alot. You really old timers, sure do know your stuff... :)

Wanting the biggest "bang for the buck"??

$IMG_3076.JPG

Smith & Wesson 629...mic drop!!!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have been enjoying these posts and have learned alot. You really old timers, sure do know your stuff... :)

Sigh...these young whipper snappers these days.

My boar bustin' bullets arrived today...I'll sight in the old Blackhawk (load one, skip one, load the rest like my old Colt SAA) and show you what us old timers can do. But at the distance it will be probably used at the sights wouldn't matter...just point and click. I hope I don't hear a click.

$IMG_0002.jpg

Wanting the biggest "bang for the buck"??

View attachment 697862

Smith & Wesson 629...mic drop!!!

I've wanted a 6 1/2 inch barreled one in blue since...forever.

But, back to Rob's original thread.

[FONT=&amp]Marine Corps Special Operations Command has decided to shelve its custom .45 pistols and outfit its elite Raiders with Glock 19s.[/FONT]

That's just more proof, though not any fault of the troops, that the military is still FUBAR. :biggrin1:

Sigh...these young whipper snappers these days.

My boar bustin' bullets arrived today...I'll sight in the old Blackhawk (load one, skip one, load the rest like my old Colt SAA) and show you what us old timers can do. But at the distance it will be probably used at the sights wouldn't matter...just point and click. I hope I don't hear a click.

View attachment 697874

I've wanted a 6 1/2 inch barreled one in blue since...forever.

But, back to Rob's original thread.

That's just more proof, though not any fault of the troops, that the military is still FUBAR. :biggrin1:

I have one of those 6 1/2 blued models. My dealer had two at the time and I was having a hard time deciding, so bought both. The other is a 629 classic, unfluted cylinder and a 7 1/2 porter barrel with full length under barrel lug. The port and weight does wonders in controlling muzzle flip.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
A 6 1/2 inch M29...P&R? If it's a 6 1/2 inch of course it's P&R.

I'll give ya a dollar for it. :biggrin1:

I caught some grief when I had my L frame ported..."You'll blind your night vision...you'll give away your position." Got the same thing when I got my Glock that had night sights on it..."If they are behind you they can see you."

Yeah...(does a squinty eyed look) and says "Whatever." :lol:

Last edited:
OOOooo... I'd love to have a 6 1/2-inch blue Model 29! First .44 Magnum I ever shot was one of those. Later, I became enamored of the long-barreled Smith & Wesson revolvers so got an 8 3/8-inch Model 29 in blue finish.

Here's the .41 Magnum around here, a Smith & Wesson Model 57

Here's a friend of mine from West Yorkshire, England lighting off one of the H110/220 grain handloads in the Model 57 .41 Magnum. A happy accident snapping the photo happened to catch it.

We're slaying Rob's poor thread with off-topic tangents.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Here's a friend of mine from West Yorkshire, England lighting off one of the H110/220 grain handloads in the Model 57 .41 Magnum. A happy accident snapping the photo happened to catch it.

That is a nice Pic. Lucky photo...too bad the cylinder blast was missed, but that is a great shot!

We're slaying Rob's poor thread with off-topic tangents.

Yeah...unless Rob doesn't mind.

Rob...do you mind a little derail?

We'll get back on track...I promise. I'll post the results of sighting in my boar bustin' loads in my Wild Hogs thread.

Maybe a Magnum thread is in order.

What do you think, Rob? You little whipper snapper. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom