What's new

Best Peelers?

I'm always looking for the best peelers. Here are my two favorites, a WMF stainless steel peeler, which skins veggies and fruits very thinly, making it very useful for veggies with a thin skin. I can peel a tomato with the WMF. Perfect for carrots and potatoes. There is even a small blade for removing eyes. For thicker-skinned veggies and fruit I use the Kyocera peeler with ceramic blade.

What peelers do you like?

proxy.php

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I use an Oxo peeler that is oriented in the same direction as the original poster. Always have the classic Delta Boy device as a backup. Peelers do actually go dull over time. I use a diamond sharpening stick I bought for my pruning shears . . . it has a flat side good for peelers, pruners, scissors, and a curved side which is good for bread and other serrated knives. Lee Valley $12.50 Canuck Bucks.

$Sharpening Stick.jpg

I am now buying only Y-shaped peelers anymore. They seem to make peeling more effortless. I have an Oxo peeler, don't care for it at all. I think the WMF is sharp enough for shaving! :w00t:

I have a y-shaped peeler with a ceramic blade.
It was part of a set with Santoku knife,
In a Seen on TV type deal.
About $12 for the set.

Just keep the blades squeaky clean and wet in use,
and they will slice clean and quick through almost anything.

The Santoku uses most certainly a Kyocera blade. The only other maker of ceramic blades I am aware of is Böker. And they too make peelers. Haven't tried one yet.

The Santoku uses most certainly a Kyocera blade. The only other maker of ceramic blades I am aware of is Böker. And they too make peelers. Haven't tried one yet.
It is a Kyocera blade ...
The brand name is Yoshi.
https://www.amazon.com/YoshiBlade-I...F8&qid=1476886242&sr=8-1&keywords=yoshi+knife

I'm really impressed by these tools.
The Santoku knife came with a sheath,
so it makes a good implement to keep in my lunch bag at work.

I had never tried ceramic blades before this,
but they perform beyond my wildest dreams.
My only maintenance is to keep them squeaky clean,
and lubricated with either oil or water when in use.

It cuts clean through everything except bone and metal.

Luckily, knock on wood,
I've gone about 5 years with this knife
and not had any chips.
But I'm not holding my breath on that.

The cost is so minimal
that I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one
if I break this.

Ceramic blades are really great. They don't get dull and don't need sharpening unless you abuse them, in which case they can also chip and break. I bought a Böker pocket knife with 3.5" ceramic blade back in the early '90s and it still hasn't needed sharpening, which can be done with a diamond hone. The hone won't last long, though! Ceramic blades can get stained, I think, but I haven't had that problem.

I've got 2 peelers, one of them with a ceramic blade which sucks. The blade's too thick and I use it very very rarely (only when I can't find the one with the steel blade). After only a couple of years the ceramic blade looks like crap.
The other one with the steel blade is at least more than 20 years old and still looks fine. Every now and then I sharpen it (no big deal) and it still cuts fine.
Steel blades FTW!

Bringing up an old thread to see if there has been any "breakthrough" in this field. I have peelers from Rada (USA) and Rex or Star (Swiss). There are a few interesting videos on YouTube about the peeler salesman that became a millionaire selling the Swiss ones.

Top Bottom