What's new

Rocnel SE50

Shave #5
proxy.php

At this point in the proceedings the AC Pro blade is simply superb in this excellent razor.

Shave #6 today:
proxy.php

I'm really noticing the very clever geometry now.
This razor has a lot of effective angles and steep angle shaving works well (big blade gap?) but it doesn't bite at all (small blade exposure) and it's very smooth whatever angle you hold it at (great and very clever guard design).
What a razor!

Thanks for posting your experience MJ! Yikes, yet another temptation! My only concern is it might be too heavy for me. I had to put a titanium handle on my Mongoose B3, with the Bomber handle it was a bit too heavy for my hands. Looks like a winner!

Thanks for posting your experience MJ! Yikes, yet another temptation! My only concern is it might be too heavy for me. I had to put a titanium handle on my Mongoose B3, with the Bomber handle it was a bit too heavy for my hands. Looks like a winner!

For sure David this is a heavy heavy razor.
I worry that if I drop it then it might break the sink!

I've been struggling to find another razor which shaves in the same weird way as the SE50 but here it is, the Wardonia:
proxy.php

Same combination of mild feel and aggressive result.
No bite but a marble-like BBS.

I got one. Just got it and used it for the first time today! Definitely very heavy but changing the blade is plenty simple enough. No problem and no tools necessary, at least for me. Place the blade into position, slide the cover on, tighten the allen head screw hand tight and screw the handle down hand tight. Nice shiny finish on the razor which the razor looks very well machined. I was a little heavy handed with my first use and every bump on my face got shaved down. Didn't feel anything and No nicks or cuts but lots of weapers from taking the tops off of those skin imperfections and bumps. Old loose skin from an equally old jowly fat face! Next shave I will be a little more careful. This is not a razor to whip around mindlessly. I wouldn't call it aggressive, but I would call it excessively efficient? This razor seems very well made and the blade used is apparently sharper then any razor blade I have ever used before, bar none!! The blade used was a Feather Pro. I wonder what the 2nd shave will be like? All in all this first use shave is the closest I have ever been able to achieve and that's saying something! I've been at this for a long time. That speaks to me for sure! I have tried so many razors and blades over the years, I couldn't name them all without a spread sheet. Shave results So close I can't believe it. Very quickly I figured out a light touch is required and holding the razor close to the head works for me. I don't think I could use the razor for a daily shave without more experience with it? It's simply way too sharp and close compared to what I am used to. I like mild razors like the old Gillette blue tips, Techs and the Feather AS-D2. But, I like the close shave of this Rocnel SE50 even better. WOW! Time will tell. I still can't get over how sharp the Feather Pro blade is or maybe it has something to do with the razor itself? But, I'm going with the blade being so sharp? I think the learning curve will be a very short one for me. No pressure for sure! I wonder why the injector razor blades can't be as sharp? Maybe simply because of the manufacturers of injector blades? I wonder?

It struck me as sort of half a Wardonia ... big blade gap yet smooth as she goes. I've not used a Rocnel (actually have no interest in it) but I can certainly see the likeness to the Wardonia.

It struck me as sort of half a Wardonia ... big blade gap yet smooth as she goes. I've not used a Rocnel (actually have no interest in it) but I can certainly see the likeness to the Wardonia.

Yes that's it Paul! It really does feel like a Wardonia - and that's near to perfect!

After a few days use I am convinced this is not a daily razor for me. Too close & too aggressive. IMHO. I like it because of close shave and all but it turns out not to be my daily razor! A daily driver is something a little milder IMHO.

Well I've just discovered that I CAN'T fit a Feather AC Pro Super blade in my Rocnel SE50 because of the extra blade thickness and extension at the back.

So I'll try it with a Kai Mild...

I use it with the Feather Pros and the shaves are always very good. It's a very nice razor, in my opinion. The only disadvantage is the weight. It's the heaviest razor I have.

So I used the Kai Mild in the SE50 today:
proxy.php

After the Cobra, El Jefe and the Alumigoose v1 this razor just isn't aggressive enough for me and, unlike the Hawk, you can't use a Pro Super to boost its performance.
But it's a beautifully made and smooth thing nonetheless.

I also discovered that those Proraso soaps (which I don't really enjoy with DEs or straights) are perfect for Artist Club safety razors [emoji3]

Top Bottom