What's new

Small clean up on old straight

Picked this up last week and it came in today. I did some light sanding and now the razor is sitting in neatsfoot oil to revive the scales. Went from 100 to 2500 grit sandpaper. I didn't hit it with polish yet. It is a half hollow and looking forward to honing it soon.

proxy.php

Very nice. Now I know what just a good sanding will do. Had no idea it would clean it up that well. Makes me double think about some of the ugly one I've seen for sale. How long did this take you to do?

Very nice. Now I know what just a good sanding will do. Had no idea it would clean it up that well. Makes me double think about some of the ugly one I've seen for sale. How long did this take you to do?

Thanks guys!

This probably took me an hour ish. Wasn't really timing it. I am not looking for perfect mirror finish like others and aim for acceptable user grade where I can get it looking almost new. :)

You also need to be careful though. If there is pitting, then the work is a lot longer if you want to get rid of them. Fortunately this one was pretty good with a good amount of patina. There was only minor pitting.

proxy.php

minor clean up since i didnt unpin it. i cleaned it up the best i could and then soaked in neatsfoot oil for 48 hours. used 600 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 git sand paper and then hit it with maas. the pics on the right are the aftermath. i think it came out rather nicer than anticipated. cant wait to hone the thing

How do you guys even find these razors? The only thing i find are nasty old Giesen and Forsthoff razors.
But man! That restoration work looks professional! Especially how you managed to clean up the tang without taking of the scales

Last edited:
How do you guys even find these razors? The only thing i find are nasty old Giesen and Forsthoff razors.
But man! That restoration work looks professional! Especially how you managed to clean up the tang without taking of the scales

eBay :) This cost me ~$30-35. You just need to be relentless in looking at eBay all the time and finding opportunities.

Don't worry - I had my fair share of items that I got and it was garbage. You win some, you lose some. As long as you win more than you lose, you are doing okay. :)

Looks great, I have two straights I'd like to clean-up. Did you dry or wet sand them...

It looks like you aren't going to get an answer so I'll reply. I would wet sand if I was going to sand but I'd try metal polish first. It's hard to get scratches out, even tiny ones.

Unless you want it to look brand new I find that spending some time with metal polish is usually enough.

Thanks [MENTION=61082]seattleshaver[/MENTION] , I cleaned up two razors since then, I wet sanded them and they came out really well. There were some scratches in them afterwards. It got me motivated on a way to get the scratches out, so I used a dremel and some green and grey polishing compound. That worked really well, I highly recommend trying a dremel with buffing wheel and polish compound.

Thanks @seattleshaver , I cleaned up two razors since then, I wet sanded them and they came out really well. There were some scratches in them afterwards. It got me motivated on a way to get the scratches out, so I used a dremel and some green and grey polishing compound. That worked really well, I highly recommend trying a dremel with buffing wheel and polish compound.

My apologies for not getting back! I went with a full range of wet sand paper from 100 all the way to 1500 or 2000 (honestly don't remember).

I finished up with Maas. I don't have a Dremel and it probably would have made the whole process easier. I have been told to get one except I live in an apartment and don't want metal bits flying everywhere. Plus the fiance will think I am nuts using a dremel for razors. She already has reservations will all the packages coming in all the time. LOL

My apologies for not getting back! I went with a full range of wet sand paper from 100 all the way to 1500 or 2000 (honestly don't remember).

I finished up with Maas. I don't have a Dremel and it probably would have made the whole process easier. I have been told to get one except I live in an apartment and don't want metal bits flying everywhere. Plus the fiance will think I am nuts using a dremel for razors. She already has reservations will all the packages coming in all the time. LOL

Where did you get the 100 grit sandpaper? I'm a little anal and I'm looking for that mirror finish without any imperfections. The 220 grit isn't cutting it for some imperfections I have on this Norton, I spent about an hour with the 220. The 100 grit would probably get those imperfections out.

Where did you get the 100 grit sandpaper? I'm a little anal and I'm looking for that mirror finish without any imperfections. The 220 grit isn't cutting it for some imperfections I have on this Norton, I spent about an hour with the 220. The 100 grit would probably get those imperfections out.

I believe I got mine at either Autozone or Tru Value. I do reiterate that if you really want the imperfections out and safe some time, get yourself a Dremel. If you plan to do a lot of restores and want that perfect finish, it'll make your life so much easier.

I realized I can live with imperfections for the most part so I am good. :)

Top Bottom