What's new

Charcoal

Hey guys,

My wife and I love to grill outdoors on our two Weber kettle grills, but I just realized that, up until now, I've never given any thought to what I use as fuel. Ok, maybe a little thought in that I insist on Kingsford briquettes rather than generic brands. The thing is though, with the amount of grilling that we do, and it's a lot, I want to take it a step further and start using natural wood charcoal (the stuff Alton Brown advocates, not to be confused with hardwoods for smoking). Does anyone use Can those of you who use it suggest a good place to find it (B&M or online)?

Thanks!

Edit: Some preliminary Googling just revealed this: "When it is smothered, the natural charcoal can be reused at a later time." That's really cool.

I can't suggest a good place as I make my own... If you have an old oil drum making a kiln is very simple, I have used a 10 foot diameter and a 15 foot diameter in the past, as well as an old modified diesel storage tank which is abot 4 feet across. If you do a heck of a lot of grilling and can get your hands on plenty of wood this is really the best and most cost effective way. Takes practice but can yield good results.

http://www.allotmentforestry.com/fact/Charcoal.htm

this link shows how to make a basic drum kiln

I can't suggest a good place as I make my own... If you have an old oil drum making a kiln is very simple, I have used a 10 foot diameter and a 15 foot diameter in the past, as well as an old modified diesel storage tank which is abot 4 feet across. If you do a heck of a lot of grilling and can get your hands on plenty of wood this is really the best and most cost effective way. Takes practice but can yield good results.

http://www.allotmentforestry.com/fact/Charcoal.htm

this link shows how to make a basic drum kiln

Very cool article! Unfortunately I live in an apartment and don't have access to the wood, otherwise it would be a fun project.

I can't recommend a place either. I don't use lump charcoal very often. That said, when you do find some you could try mixing in some lump charcoal with briquettes. Briquettes provide more consistent heat, but they don't burn as hot. Lump charcoal burns hotter, but loses heat much faster. Anyway, you'll need to play around with it a bit.

Cowboy Charcoal, a natural lump charcoal is available at Lowe's.

as to the briquette:

Around 1915, Henry Ford was using large amount of wood to manufacture automobiles. Ford operated a sawmill in the forests around Iron Mountain, Michigan to make the wooden parts, so there were piles of wood scraps. Ford learned of a process, which had been developed and patented by Orin F. Stafford, which involved chipping wood into small pieces, converting them into charcoal, grinding the charcoal into powder, adding a binder and compressing the mix into the now-familiar, pillow-shaped briquettes. By 1921, a charcoal-making plant was in full operation.

I can't recommend a place either. I don't use lump charcoal very often. That said, when you do find some you could try mixing in some lump charcoal with briquettes. Briquettes provide more consistent heat, but they don't burn as hot. Lump charcoal burns hotter, but loses heat much faster. Anyway, you'll need to play around with it a bit.

Cowboy Charcoal, a natural lump charcoal is available at Lowe's.

Good to know, thanks guys!

I also just found an online source that is selling (6) 6.6 lb. bags for $50 with free shipping. That's $1.26 a pound all said and done, which seems like a good price.

Edit: Forgot the link for those interested. http://www.charcoalstore.com/products/Wicked-Good/CH-1234.html

Charcoal is now considered to be under the shipping regulations as a hazardous material. Most likely, anyone who would send it though the mail would charge you a premium. I'm sure making your own from a decent wood would be cheaper.

Luckily for us here, there's lots of Keawe wood. Perfect charcoal that has awesome smoking qualities.

Good to know, thanks guys!

I also just found an online source that is selling (6) 6.6 lb. bags for $50 with free shipping. That's $1.26 a pound all said and done, which seems like a good price.

Edit: Forgot the link for those interested. http://www.charcoalstore.com/products/Wicked-Good/CH-1234.html

nice price if buying online. But so many people carry it for less than $7 a bag if not cheaper...Trader Joes like ouch said, Harrys, kroger, home depot, etc

I used to buy the Big Green Egg brand stuff at a specialty fireplace store. Now I get it at my local supermarket. I don't notice the difference between the name brand stuff and the supermarket stuff.

Please note: don't bother with lump charcoal if you're going to spray it down with lighter fluid to light it. The "flavor" of the fluid will go through to the food. Get a chimney and light it with newspaper.

I used to buy the Big Green Egg brand stuff at a specialty fireplace store. Now I get it at my local supermarket. I don't notice the difference between the name brand stuff and the supermarket stuff.

Please note: don't bother with lump charcoal if you're going to spray it down with lighter fluid to light it. The "flavor" of the fluid will go through to the food. Get a chimney and light it with newspaper.

Before I go blowing $50 on 40 lbs. of the stuff online, now that I know I can get it locally at a home improvement store, I'll give it shot on a smaller scale.

Yes, I've been using a chimney starter since the beginning and have not/will not look back.

There are several brands available here in Austin at most of the grocery stores. I'm sure the big discount chains like SAMS and Costco probably have it also.

Cory,
Check here for a review of the stuff you posted in your link. Wicked Good has an excellent rep on the pro BBQ circuit and amongst Eggers like me as well. I may have to get some of that. You can find lump charcoal at Barbecues Galore, as well as outdoor & garden stores. As mentioned, Trader Joe's carries Cowboy lump (I saw it there today in fact).
BTW, I use a hose torch & a bottle of MAPP gas to light lump charcoal. I got tired of incinerating electric starters.

I haven't ventured into making my own yet, but after reading that article I may have to find a place to do so.

For me, the cheapest place to buy chunk hardwood is trader joe's, although kroger does come close on occasion. For some odd reason, one of the local grocers by me sells certified organic chunk charcoal in a 5 pound bag for $16! :eek:

While it may be ridiculous, I have to admit that I've tried it, and it seemed to be the exact same as regular chunk hardwood. That being said, as far as I'm concerned, ANY chunk hardwood is better than briquettes, unless you're smoking for a long period of time. Chunk hardwood, a chimney starter, and Alton's veggie oil trick make some of the best fires I've ever had the pleasure of roasting a chunk of beast on.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Yesterday, I picked up a 7 lb bag at Home Depot and had plans of trying it out with some beer brats, but wouldn't you know it, as soon as I brought out the little Weber Smokey Joe et al., it started to rain! Ok, put everything back in the garage and go inside to pout. Start heating the cast iron grill/skillet. Rain stops. D'Oh!

Oh well, maybe today...:biggrin:

Hey, if you find something around here (Richmond) let me know. I am about to buy a smoker and convert it to a dual purposer. You do know a Trader Joes is coming to Glen Allen in a few months, don't you?

I haven't ventured into making my own yet, but after reading that article I may have to find a place to do so.

For me, the cheapest place to buy chunk hardwood is trader joe's, although kroger does come close on occasion. For some odd reason, one of the local grocers by me sells certified organic chunk charcoal in a 5 pound bag for $16! :eek:

While it may be ridiculous, I have to admit that I've tried it, and it seemed to be the exact same as regular chunk hardwood. That being said, as far as I'm concerned, ANY chunk hardwood is better than briquettes, unless you're smoking for a long period of time. Chunk hardwood, a chimney starter, and Alton's veggie oil trick make some of the best fires I've ever had the pleasure of roasting a chunk of beast on.

I just saw stacks of it at Lowe's in West Chester, OH (North of Cincinnati). If one stocks it, those in your area probably do as well.

Cory,
BTW, I use a hose torch & a bottle of MAPP gas to light lump charcoal. I got tired of incinerating electric starters.

Geez.....I would hope that MAPP gas would get it going. Personally, I converted from Charcoal to Propane years ago when Weber came out with the Genesis line. I'm on my second Genesis now and see no reason to ever go back to charcoal.

The next time that I make Creme Brulee, I may just MAPP gas. That should make a hell of a crunchy top

Top Bottom