What's new

Using Talc

How and for what do you guys use talc powder? I was considering pulling the trigger on some Clubman Talc a while back as a solution to swamp crotch, but after reading about potential health risks (especially those posed to SWMBO) I decided that a more regular and extensive grooming regimen was probably a smarter (and ultimately more effective) alternative. Yet I'm still interested in trying talc, mostly just to experience such a classic product. So I'm wondering what uses experts around here have for it. Seems like it might be a useful product to keep handy.

Last edited:
As for the nether regions, I keep mine shaved to prevent "swamp crotch." As for talc, I have discontinued using it after reading about the health effects.

I finish my shaves off with talc almost daily. I prefer vintage talcs, my all time favorite being Yardley Invisible Talc, it is generally found in an awesome looking tin with a brass top and is easily found on the auction sites. Vintage Old Spice Aftershave Talc is a great performer as well and can also be easily found.

Borotalco is my favorite off the shelf talc for performance however the scent is flowery powder. Clubman's performance does not rival Borotalco IMO but it has that great Clubman scent.

Good Luck!

I agree with Jeff , Borotalco is the best.Clubman is nice as well and you can still find Ponds and Yardley talcs at most Indian shops. I'm like Wild Bill , I don't inhale. If you want a safer talc make sure it's made with cornstarch and not traditional talcum ( pulverized rocks ) that can damage the lungs and cause cervical cancer with women that apply it below the belt.

I use clubman talc after shaving and occasionally as a body or nether region application.
If you want a unique experience try the gold bond medicated. I use it most when hiking or camping to keep my skin dry (feet and under pants). But be prepared for a bit of menthol cooling.

I keep a container of Baby Powder (corn starch) for when I decide to powder that area. I had a container of Clubman and used it up but decided not to do that anymore just because of the health warnings.

There was just another verdict of 70mil against J&J for not disclosing the risks of talc in baby powder causing cancer.

There was just another verdict of 70mil against J&J for not disclosing the risks of talc in baby powder causing cancer.

Saw that the other day.

Decided to pass on talc for now for these reasons. I still might grab a bottle closer to summer for torso application. Probably Clubman to go with some Clubman Classic Vanilla AS, which I've been eager to try. Seems like a good way to stay fresh on those stickier days.

I use talc every day
I don't use it after shaving because I use alcohol based aftershave
I'm waiting for a hip replacement and have to make do with standing next to the sink and having a "birdy bath" because I physically can't get in or out of the bath and don't have a separate shower cubicle, so talc takes personal hygiene to the next level
I use it under my arms and "down there" - I fill an old (clean) sports sock with talc as an improvised powder puff
I also use it on a piece of toilet paper for extra personal hygiene after a call of nature - use your imagination !!

I haven't looked too closely at the ingredients, but my brand of talc is baby powder from Mercadona supermarket

I am not a doctor or a chemist. However, I do know that there are tens of millions of people who do and have used talcum powder all over their bodies for decades with no adverse effects.

I would use it at will.

I remember my mom using grocery store, baking aisle cornstarch on my brother when he was born. That's what we used for our daughter and there's a squeeze bottle of it in the bathroom still for anytime someone has the need for a powder bath. Cheap!

dave

I use my worst badger brush solely to apply talc to my head post aftershave and drying and just prior to getting dressed. This helps prevent shiny head syndrome (SHS) which has plagued head shavers since the dawn of time. Also, The Grooming Lounge has a very good powder for the "nether" regions.

I use my worst badger brush solely to apply talc to my head post aftershave and drying and just prior to getting dressed. This helps prevent shiny head syndrome (SHS) which has plagued head shavers since the dawn of time. Also, The Grooming Lounge has a very good powder for the "nether" regions.
That's a great idea, although I don't need one for my head, rather for down below.

Top Bottom