What's new

Blade Wars: Gillette 7 O’clock Super Stainless vs. Perma-Sharp Super

This blade war pits two of my very favorite blades against one another. This may get a little confusing. The Gillette 7 O’clock Super Stainless (or Russian Green) comes in a green wrapper and is made in Russia. There is another Gillette 7 O’clock blade that comes in a green wrapper. It is the 7 O’Clock Permasharp Stainless that is made in India. I am not using the Indian blades in this review. To make things even more confusing, the second blade in the contest, the Perma-Sharp Super, has a similar name to the Indian blade. Like the Russian Greens, Perma-Sharp Supers are made in the PPI factory in St. Petersburg, Russia. On Amazon, the Russian Greens currently sell for $16.95 per hundred, and Perma-Sharp Supers go for $19.95. In my experience, both of these blades are well worth buying a hundred pack.

My razors for this blade war will be two Razorock Proteges, which have fairly mild heads and somewhat short stainless steel handles. The heads are similar to the Muhle R89 or Edwin Jagger DE89. I rate them about a 4/10 in aggressiveness. I’ll color the tip of one razor with a blue Sharpie, but will not know which blade is in which razor. I’ll shave half of my face with each razor, and switch sides with subsequent shaves. I intend for the competition to last for six half-face shaves, but will let it go longer if there isn’t a clear winner and I’m not getting irritated. Based on my experience with these outstanding blades, I would not be surprised if this blade war required more than six shaves to determine a winner.

Thanks to @Gnomeo0228 for suggesting this match-up!

As we go, I’ll share what I experience and invite you to participate. I’d love to hear your thoughts. Your comments are often the best part of this thread!

I'm pulling up a chair. Perma-Sharp is coming off a recent victory against Bluebird. This should be more competitive.

The 7OC Russian green in a Merkur Progress is one of the best combinations I've ever discovered. Looking forward to this one!
A while back, I started compiling a list of my favorite razor/blade combinations. The Russian Green/ Progress combo was one of them.

This blade war pits two of my very favorite blades against one another. This may get a little confusing. The Gillette 7 O’clock Super Stainless (or Russian Green) comes in a green wrapper and is made in Russia. There is another Gillette 7 O’clock blade that comes in a green wrapper. It is the 7 O’Clock Permasharp Stainless that is made in India. I am not using the Indian blades in this review. To make things even more confusing, the second blade in the contest, the Perma-Sharp Super, has a similar name to the Indian blade. Like the Russian Greens, Perma-Sharp Supers are made in the PPI factory in St. Petersburg, Russia. On Amazon, the Russian Greens currently sell for $16.95 per hundred, and Perma-Sharp Supers go for $19.95. In my experience, both of these blades are well worth buying a hundred pack.

My razors for this blade war will be two Razorock Proteges, which have fairly mild heads and somewhat short stainless steel handles. The heads are similar to the Muhle R89 or Edwin Jagger DE89. I rate them about a 4/10 in aggressiveness. I’ll color the tip of one razor with a blue Sharpie, but will not know which blade is in which razor. I’ll shave half of my face with each razor, and switch sides with subsequent shaves. I intend for the competition to last for six half-face shaves, but will let it go longer if there isn’t a clear winner and I’m not getting irritated. Based on my experience with these outstanding blades, I would not be surprised if this blade war required more than six shaves to determine a winner.

Thanks to @Gnomeo0228 for suggesting this match-up!

As we go, I’ll share what I experience and invite you to participate. I’d love to hear your thoughts. Your comments are often the best part of this thread!
In so looking forward to this [emoji1]

These are 2 really great blades

So
View attachment 695744
vs
$perma-sharp-razor-blades_1.jpg

This should be good. Do you slightly favour one over the other?

I don't have a favorite in this one. They are both in that top-tier group of the best 5 or 6 blades I've ever tried. If my memory serves me, (and sometimes it doesn't,) the greens may be a little smoother at first and the Perma-Sharps may last a little longer. In any case, I think I'm in store for some great shaves.

This one interests me. I have returned to DE shaving after a 30+ year absence. I used to use Gillette Platinum Plus and I'm very curious about the performance of modern Gillette blades.

Shave 1
Face lathered with Clubman-scented Arko (I grated Arko into a container, poked holes in it with a fork, doused it with Clubman, and let it dry.)
Silver razor = right side of face, blue razor = left side of face

Two good passes from both razors this morning. Nothing significant to report. Both were smooth, sharp-feeling, and effective. If there was any difference, the silver may have glided a little more easily on the first pass, but the difference was negligible.

Verdict: Tie

Followed with Clubman and a dab of Nivea balm. Good way to start the day.

Good to know they are a tie. The Super stainless are my favorite out of about 6 or 7 blades that I have trialed. I currently have a 100 sitting around. If they ever go out of production, I know what to use as a backup now!

Shave 1
Face lathered with Clubman-scented Arko (I grated Arko into a container, poked holes in it with a fork, doused it with Clubman, and let it dry.)

That sounds interesting. Does Arko take scent well? I'm tempted to try this with Florida water.

That sounds interesting. Does Arko take scent well? I'm tempted to try this with Florida water.
Yes. It works great. I repeated the process twice - covering the top of the soap with about 1/8-1/4 inch of cologne. I let it dry completely both times (2 or 3 days.) After the second drying, I sealed up the container. I like Florida Water more than I do Clubman, so I wish I had thought of that. I've done something similar with essential oils diluted with witch hazel, and it also worked nicely.

Funny thing is, I actually like how Arko smells if you leave it alone. I just like to tinker.

I've done something similar with essential oils diluted with witch hazel, and it also worked nicely.

Funny thing is, I actually like how Arko smells if you leave it alone. I just like to tinker.

I do like Arko on its own. I tried putting some slightly diluted lemon EO on Arko and letting it soak in, but it didn't seem to do much except irritate my face for the next 7 shaves. I've also superlathered Arko + Proraso green, and the Arko scent takes over. I never thought to just put a/s or EdC on it. I have some nicely aged Arko in a tub that might be perfect for this. I am also now wondering if I should go with the Veg+Arko. That could be fun.

...Face lathered with Clubman-scented Arko (I grated Arko into a container, poked holes in it with a fork, doused it with Clubman, and let it dry.)

I did the same thing with my MB unscented, except I didn't poke holes in it. After grating & pressing I poured some Fine Platinum on top & let it soak in. It actually worked better than expected. I figure when I finally use it up I'll get a puck of the Fine soap.

No surprise on the verdict so far. We've got a couple of top tier heavyweights chopping away at each other with this one. It should be a good blade war.

Top Bottom