What's new

The more cash I spend on expensive aftershaves, the more I love Floid.

Seriously, I've been chasing the "ultimate" aftershave for years. Czech and Speake; Acqua di Parma, Guerlain, Tom Ford, multiple artisans, etc. While I enjoy some of them, the aftershave that I reach for the most is cheap, reliable, dependable, Floid Vigoroso. Makes my face feel wonderful after a shave and has such a pleasant, long lasting barbershop scent.

You know...the seasoned veterans know what I'm talking about. They told me years ago.....but I had to discover it on my own. Brands like Floid, Aqua Velva, Pinaud.....they've been around for generations for a reason. I encourage everyone to enjoy their own journey.....but don't discount the "cheap" brands. You may come full circle, like I did.

I'll have to try some Floid. I never considered it cheap, is there a good place to find it at?
They sell samples at Maggards. I always recommend buying samples before buying a full bottle. I kind of like vigoroso. But to me the scent is the very definition "old man smell" aftershave.

They sell samples at Maggards. I always recommend buying samples before buying a full bottle. I kind of like vigoroso. But to me the scent is the very definition "old man smell" aftershave.

I'm more interested now. I tend to like things that smell old manish.

I have many aftershaves. Many. For me, the aftershave splash (not balm, witch hazel or alum) is the best part of the shave. My favorites? PAA (any of them), Wm Neumann (any of them), Tabac or Floid Vigoroso.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm rather fond of vintage Avon scents. And the older I get the more I appreciate smelling old!

Vigoroso is wonderful indeed!! :thumbup1: Sounds like our tastes are generally similar. The AS I reach for most often are: Vigoroso, Clubman, OS, Fine American Blend, and Spieck! For me these are all in the 'barbershop' mold. Each works better for me than more expensive products.

Good point, Steelman. Certainly some AS use exotic or higher end ingredients, but for me, the classics that you mentioned achieve probably 95% of the performance of the high end stuff at a much lower price.

I agree, tried some high dollar AS over the years but always come back to the classics you mentioned. I gave up on the Floid's because they just never worked on my skin, great in the bottle but no so great on me.

Great post! As a newcomer to the DE world, I'm feeling lucky that I picked Floid Vigaroso as my first AS, I love the stuff and it really does have a great face feel. I do aim to try all the Floids, and already have a 400ml bottle of Blue which I love equally, and use as my everyday AS right now, the vigaroso, being more of my 'weekend' choice.

Steelman; I think you may have just saved me several hundred dollars. After just a few splashes, I bought a small bottle of Vigoroso. I like it enough to have bought a big bottle on its way for my birthday. I admit that I added a couple of Mysols to try. But I may stop there. The Vigoroso is an addictive scent to me and has the perfect sting and menthol.

I haven't tried a whole lot of aftershaves but after today, I found the one that is perfect for my skin. It isn't as inexpensive as the convenience store aftershaves but for me, it's worth the extra bit.

Also just because something is popular and has been around for a while, that doesn't mean that better options don't exist. I used Aqua Velva for an extremely long time because previously, I never cared enough about shaving to explore the alternatives and I didn't really know that anything else existed. Aqua Velva isn't bad but I think it's a bit harsh and dries out my skin while leaving it feeling tight.

I prefer something that actually moisturizes and I found it. I guess that I'm just lucky that I didn't have to try a million different aftershaves before finding the right one for me.

Don't be afraid of old school bulk either.......

proxy.php

Can someone tell me what the longevity of the Floid scent is on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the gone in a flash scent of Lucky Tiger and 10 being the 2 hours projection and 5 hours plus skin scent of Aqua Velva Musk?

Top Bottom