What's new

Stropping on a belt?

Ok, so I have been stropping on a belt that I bought at the thrift shop. I cleaned it with saddle soap then treated it with Leather Honey before use. I have kept my razor shaving for about three weeks of every other day shaving with no noticeable pulling or irritation.
My question is this - for those of you who have used a plain old belt then upgraded to a proper strop, how much of an improvement did you notice (if any)?

The main thing is your technique. If you strop with a belt and get good results, then a real strop would probably be a little more convenient but not really giving you better results. I used the sleeve of a worn out denim jacket in the past and was kind of disappointed when I got a real linen strop as there wasn't much improvement. Seraphim had a video of someone (I suspect it was him) folding newspaper for a strop and so it really is the stropper and not the strop.

Haven't tried it myself, but if it works, all power to you! It would be nice to have a picture of your belt/strop and to know how wide it is. (Certain belts from the 1970s could be pretty wide.) Did you cut it down to a shorter length and what is the approximate length of your stroke in stropping? Many loom-strops, for instance, are around 1-5/8" wide with around an 8" stropping length.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I used a belt for many years. Your face will probably not detect a difference if your pre-strop edges are super sharp.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I don't do that. A belt is usually not flat enough... straight enough... edges curled up and stuff. Usually not wide enough for my taste, either. Honestly, I prefer newspaper to a belt.

If it is all about the money, there are inexpensive strops, and inexpensive leather for making one. You don't have to spend $60-$200 for a strop just to get one that does a great job.

I saw on a Murray Carter's video where he cut off a piece of his belt, put chromium oxide on it and stropped on it. Granted Murray has some unique ways to sharpen a razor, using newspaper and his belt really caught my attention.

Top Bottom