What's new

Tgn boar

Hi everyone, I want to get a tgn boar knot for my everready 100t handle. I want to keep it close to the original specs. Never used a boar. Which would you go for?

Oh, sorry, I didn't read the Ever-ready 100t part.

I personally find anything smaller than 22 a bit small as far as boar knots go.

You are kinda restricted by the handle...

Just what I wanted to propose, but thought you really want to DYI it. Something like Omega 10066, or, if you don't want to waste time breaking it in, a banded one, like Omega 11574 or 11775.

Just what I wanted to propose, but thought you really want to DYI it. Something like Omega 10066, or, if you don't want to waste time breaking it in, a banded one, like Omega 11574 or 11775.
I don't mind breaking it in. Wanna get a great one, but don't need to blow a fat wad of cash on another shaving item. I have a lot and don't wanna get too crazy too quick. A boar brush will probably wait since the smaller knots aren't all that great, the diy interests me more right now.

Just for reference regarding size of knot, I did my first refurbish of an Ever Ready 100 last week and put in an 18mm knot from TGN. It was finest badger, though, not boar (I already had some good boar brushes). It turned out great, but I think a 19mm knot would have been the perfect size. I'm not sure a 20mm knot would have fit without some scraping of the handle. With the 18mm knot, it would have been too small a diameter had I not been careful to set the knot deeply enough.

Although it's not boar, the small TGN finest, set deeply enough, is quite a stiff knot that works great on a hard soap, and I'm more than pleased with the result. Because I got the handle for free, it's now a very nice $20 brush with some pride of having done it myself. A boar knot would obviously be cheaper. Thumbs up for the quality of the TGN product.

I agree with 19 mm as the perfect size however I haven't had any trouble opening them up to fit a 20.

My preferred knot for that handle would be an ACE or Virginia Sheng 19 mm Finest.

Want with the tgn finest 2 band, fan, 20mm, should be a little different, my finest now is the Stirling 24mm, so size and shape are a bit different. I'll order an omega later to get me a boar.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Filled handle with a handful of japanese 5 yen pieces, I think there's 8 or 9, epoxied in. Going to fill with some yennies to take up the rest of the space and make a shelf, since they weigh nothing. Opted for the 20mm finest fan. Seems awful small in there, but I'll make it work.

proxy.php

After a vinegar soak, dish soap lather and soak, shampoo lather and soak, conditioner, and the a maca root lather and soak. Mostly defunked, bloomed out alright. I thought it would be a bit flatter and less bulb shaped seeing as it's a fan, but I like it so far.

Top Bottom