What's new

What Simpson brush for daily use?

I have to agree with a previous poster...if you truly enjoy the feeling of the Chubby 2 in best and already own one, buy another and swap out every day...it will give each one 48 hours to dry in between uses.

proxy.php

The Chubby 2 is a lather hog and I often feel guilty of wasting a lot of soap. Even in the hot climate of Kolkata it takes 2.5-3 days to dry.
It also takes longer load times and that "wall of badger" is too thick for me. Almost like a rubber hammer.

I like the Duke 2 knot. Its dense enough and plenty thick. The loft is ideal for face lathering but the handle is too small.

For daily use I'd recommend the Commodore X3, especially if you can get a customised one with increased backbone.

The Chubby 2 is a lather hog and I often feel guilty of wasting a lot of soap. Even in the hot climate of Kolkata it takes 2.5-3 days to dry.
It also takes longer load times and that "wall of badger" is too thick for me. Almost like a rubber hammer.

I like the Duke 2 knot. Its dense enough and plenty thick. The loft is ideal for face lathering but the handle is too small.

For daily use I'd recommend the Commodore X3, especially if you can get a customised one with increased backbone.

Be interesting and be the issue that I was trying to solve.
I have targeted duke 3 or chubby one, small fast drying and wasting little soap I think, but maybe chubby 1 also wastes soap and perhaps too small.
Commodore x3 other interesting solution, but perhaps less busy? and too long handle size?

Be interesting and be the issue that I was trying to solve.
I have targeted duke 3 or chubby one, small fast drying and wasting little soap I think, but maybe chubby 1 also wastes soap and perhaps too small.
Commodore x3 other interesting solution, but perhaps less busy? and too long handle size?

The chubby 1 would have similar density to the CH2, so it would hog the lather and be slower drying than a duke or commodore.
My duke 3 is less dense than my chubbies and seems to dry fairly fast.

The chubby 1 would have similar density to the CH2, so it would hog the lather and be slower drying than a duke or commodore.
My duke 3 is less dense than my chubbies and seems to dry fairly fast.

Ok thanks.
Remove chubby 1 from my list.
Now remain duke 3 or commodore x3 (smaller nodes i think it is would give little face massage).
Your Duke 3 pretty good drying in 24h?

Ok thanks.
Remove chubby 1 from my list.
Now remain duke 3 or commodore x3 (smaller nodes i think it is would give little face massage).
Your Duke 3 pretty good drying in 24h?

Yes. I have only used twice, but it seems to be drying quite well in 24 hours

I think you will find that the Duke 3 and Chubby 1 have very similar knots. I don't understand the concern for a brush being a 'lather hog'? After all, soaps are generally pretty inexpensive. I can see there might be an issue with some of the more expensive creams, but soaps?

I think you will find that the Duke 3 and Chubby 1 have very similar knots. I don't understand the concern for a brush being a 'lather hog'? After all, soaps are generally pretty inexpensive. I can see there might be an issue with some of the more expensive creams, but soaps?

The question is more complex.
Chubby 2 - as already mentioned - also requires "more attention and more time to charge."
As stated earlier the problem is not how much the soap cost soaps, but the time wants and when I work every day have no time.
So find a brush "faster to use every day" in best badger.
smaller = faster to drying and in consequence zero waste soap..

Your some opinion? ? Chubby 1 or duke 3 or other?

Thanks

I agree with this. I have a Chubby 1 in Best, a Chubby 2 in Synthetic, and another Chubby 2 (in Best) on its way to my mailbox. I really like my Chubby 1, but I wanted to try the Chubby 2 to see what all the fuss was about - I've heard a lot of folks say it's their absolute favorite brush, so I had to grab one. So far the Chubby 1 is my favorite brush, though I don't have a TON of experience with a lot of brushes.

I'm not too pleased with the Synthetic, mostly because its splay when lathering seems to take a lot more effort than I'd prefer. I want the splay to feel a little more natural, and not so coerced, when I'm lathering. I'll likely end up selling my synthetic Chubby very soon.

I picked up the Chubby 1 specifically because of the amount of soap everyone said the Chubby 2 takes to load properly. Compared to the Synthetic it's not a huge difference, but until my Chubby 2 in Best arrives I can't speak to what it takes to load it.

As for drying, the Chubby 1 takes over 24 hours to dry in my experience, but the Synthetic is usually dry within 6 or 8 hours (though it's not nearly as dense as I thought it would be). I'm sure the Chubby 2 in Best will take well over 24 hours to completely dry, but this is purely speculation.

Last edited:
Classic 2. Preferred this brush to my Chubby 1.

The Simpsons Classics are great brushes that you do not hear a lot about. They are very dense and smaller versions of the Chubbies. Just so you understand, when Dukes are being discussed as faster drying alternatives to the Chubby 1, I cannot detect any difference in the knots of my Duke 3 best and Chubby 1 best. In other words, Dukes are very dense which explains why they are so popular. If you want a less dense Simpsons for faster drying, I don't believe Dukes would be your answer. BTW, unless it's raining I put my brushes on the window sill for air drying. Even my Chubby 2 dries thoroughly in just a short few hours doing this. Also, I think what sets Simpsons brushes apart it the density of them. Admittedly, I only have Chubbies, Dukes and Classics so I do not have first hand experience with the the other models. But the three I mentioned are all very dense. Sorry this post is so long...

To the OP. I used my duke 3 last night, and it is completely dry now 24 hrs later. My chubby 2s need 48-72 hours to fully dry

The Simpsons Classics are great brushes that you do not hear a lot about. They are very dense and smaller versions of the Chubbies. Just so you understand, when Dukes are being discussed as faster drying alternatives to the Chubby 1, I cannot detect any difference in the knots of my Duke 3 best and Chubby 1 best. In other words, Dukes are very dense which explains why they are so popular. If you want a less dense Simpsons for faster drying, I don't believe Dukes would be your answer. BTW, unless it's raining I put my brushes on the window sill for air drying. Even my Chubby 2 dries thoroughly in just a short few hours doing this. Also, I think what sets Simpsons brushes apart it the density of them. Admittedly, I only have Chubbies, Dukes and Classics so I do not have first hand experience with the the other models. But the three I mentioned are all very dense. Sorry this post is so long...

Thank you for you answer!

I write to Mr Watterson by Simpson i said what was written to you, this was his proposal:

“I'd recommend the Duke 3 Best badger without hesitation as your second brush. The brush that does everything and everything very well!”

What do you think?

Top Bottom