What's new

Help me pick a new straight please!

Hey guys, so I'm pretty new to straights and have a Seraphim GD mod I'm learning with. I've gotten some WTG shaves in learning my technique and received my first strop in the mail so I'm learning to strop as well.

I want to add another razor to my collection so I have two to rotate with and can switch sending them out for rehoning. So I've narrowed down a few, just asking what you guys would recommend of these. If you think they're all fine just let me know what you'd pick and why. I can post more pics if necessary. I believe they're all full or half hollow at least. Thanks ahead of time.

First up is a Geneva Cutler Genco "Old Dutch" 6/8 says American made early 1900s
proxy.php

Next is a Friedrich Herder & Son 6/8 out of Solingen
proxy.php

Third for consideration is an G&S Welkut 11/16 Solingen
proxy.php

Next is an R.Clark Taylor Eye Witness "The 1000" Sheffield

proxy.php

Now a Wade & Butcher "Extra Hollow Ground" 6/8 Sheffield around 1900

proxy.php

Two more to go, Dorko 1151 7/8 Solingen mid 1900s? This one has some rust pits.

proxy.php

Last but not least a C.V. Heljestrand MK No. 5 6/8 Eskilstuna. Early 1900s maybe, non original horn scales.

proxy.php

The expertise and advice of the members of this forum would be greatly appreciated to help me narrow down my list. :001_smile

I'm a fan of wade and butcher. ( wish I still had mine). I do plan on getting another. They hold a good edge and to me weight and balance is just right. That's just my preference.

A vote for W&B! Guess I could of made this a poll, oh well. Also using this to keep track of and quickly compare them all at once.

Personally all of them are good razors. So it really depends on what design and handle that you prefer. And most importantly, your budget.

I will note that the CVH MK No 5 is Swedish steel and the steel feels harder than the Sheffield/German razors. If you do get into honing your own razors, they tend to be harder to hone as well but keep a keen edge for longer.

Don't worry. If you give it enough time, you'll end up with all of them at some point. :)

They all look like they'd be good shavers once honed. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

1. C.V. Heljestrand MK No. 5 6/8 - Swedish steel is something special. It is just harder than other steel and the edges seem to feel a bit different. It also seems to hold the edge longer. It'd be good for you to experience it.
  2. Wade & Butcher "Extra Hollow Ground" 6/8 Sheffield - I personally really like W&B. They often feel good in my hands.
  3. Geneva Cutler Genco "Old Dutch" 6/8 says American made early 1900s - The scales are nice, and Gencos are a solid razor.
  4. Everything else

The WB is the looker on the set.
I like the MK5 too. The non-original scales are much better than the original plastic ones too.
The Fried Herder if it is the stainless steel version, is very nice, but the look is not on par with the other 2.

Now I didn't list prices, but they go from least to expensive to most. I won't be able to buy one for a while as I've had many expenses this year and just had surgery yesterday, so another big expense.

The Heljestrand is probably at the top of my list as I've heard they're so hard and if it can hold an edge for a long time I can go longer without honing so that's a big plus.

These are all listed on the same site and says they've all had their bevel set and progressed from natural stones to Vermio hones then stropped on Shell Cordovan. I won't know if they're really shave ready until I get it though.
Thanks for the replies guys!

I agree with Nick! +1

I knew you'd be by to vote for the Swedish steel Dan! I was gonna ask if you hone your own CVH, have a guy or do you send them to another B&B member?

I think I remember telling you I wanted to get a Tony Miller strop and a CVH at one point... well my strop is a Tony Miller. So this post just may be the last nudge towards the inevitable.:lol:

I send mine out for honing, check your mail for info I sent. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot! I really wanted in your straight pass around, but didn't meet the requirements at the time and didn't want to feel greedy as I'd already won a PIF from you. My wife has claimed that razor though. :tongue_sm

You can sign up now. :thumbup:

I may just do that... If I drop the cash on that Heljestrand in the financial spot I'm at right now I'll have to lie to my wife and tell her it was a PIF or I'll be sleeping on the couch. Gotta remember I'm on FMLA so I'm not making full pay and I can't work overtime.:blushing:

Oh I wanted to ask, does this MK No. 6 look good to you guys? No obvious flaws that would make it not worth buying? I only ask as it's about half the price of the MK No.5 I posted in the first list.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I may just do that... If I drop the cash on that Heljestrand in the financial spot I'm at right now I'll have to lie to my wife and tell her it was a PIF or I'll be sleeping on the couch. Gotta remember I'm on FMLA so I'm not making full pay and I can't work overtime.:blushing:

Sign up for the pass around! It'll be a good time, and you'll only be out the $6.80 for shipping a priority mail flat rate box.

I have to agree with Nick and Dan in the ordering. IMHO the CVH is going to be a step above the others in regards to edge longevity, with the W&B next. The W&B is also going to be the most noisy of the blades you have listed there, as it's a shoulderless extra hollow.

1. CVH
2. W&B (btw, that W&B is phenomenal looking!)
3. The Genco razors are always very reliable
4. Friedrich Herder
5. The Dorko

Knowing they're ordered from least to most expensive, the Genco is most definitely going to be the most bang for your buck, but if you really want to try the swedish steel out, I would wait and save. It's worth it!

If I was you I'd go for the No.6 for half the price, it'll shave just as good.

As mentioned above the most beautiful razor in your list is the Wade&Butcher that's the one I'd buy it I was you, but then again I already have all the Heljestrand razors I'll ever need. They are fantastic razors.

Come to think about it it would be very kind of you to send me a link to the w&b if you decide against buying it.
Kind regards
Arne

They are ordered by price, but for the (as far as I can tell) great condition they're all in except for the Dorko rust. I think they're all very fairly priced.
So far the order of preference seems to be mirroring my own.

Oh I wanted to ask, does this MK No. 6 look good to you guys? No obvious flaws that would make it not worth buying? I only ask as it's about half the price of the MK No.5 I posted in the first list.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Aside from the discoloration in the scales, the blade looks in decent condition, a little light petina/pitting on the show face and tang and some light spine wear. Once again, it's swedish steel, so once you get it honed, it will keep an edge for longer. I don't have any experience with that vendor, so I don't know how "shave ready" it will actually be. From a shaving standpoint, it should be a great shaver if it's honed properly!

If I was you I'd go for the No.6 for half the price, it'll shave just as good.

As mentioned above the most beautiful razor in your list is the Wade&Butcher that's the one I'd buy it I was you, but then again I already have all the Heljestrand razors I'll ever need. They are fantastic razors.

Come to think about it it would be very kind of you to send me a link to the w&b if you decide against buying it.
Kind regards
Arne

I can do that Arne, I'm being a little secretive about the site as I've never seen it mentioned here before. It doesn't seem to get much traffic and they have a lot of nice stuff. I can post the site link after I've chose though. :thumbup1:

Aside from the discoloration in the scales, the blade looks in decent condition, a little light petina/pitting on the show face and tang and some light spine wear. Once again, it's swedish steel, so once you get it honed, it will keep an edge for longer. I don't have any experience with that vendor, so I don't know how "shave ready" it will actually be. From a shaving standpoint, it should be a great shaver if it's honed properly!

I'm wondering if I'll end up getting it restored or trying my hand it at myself, replacing scales and getting it honed. Be in it for probably as much as the No.5, but there's a lot to be said for doing some of the work for myself and choosing my own scales to my preference that appeals to me.

Also sorry if I seem to be rambling or not making sense. I'm on pain meds for a hernia surgery I had yesterday and they're altering my ability to comprehend what I'm reading and making it hard to put together sentences when typing.

Top Bottom