What's new

Preparing for First DE Shave

After 5 years of using an electric, and getting both a lousy shave and ingrown hairs, I've decided to try a double-edge razor. I've obtained an old Gillette Milord (Post-war model, basically a gold-plated Super Speed). the seller wasn't that knowledgeable, didn't know what a Milord was and had included a booklet from a Super Speed razor, which appears to be a reproduction as I've looked at it with a magnifying glass and can see the blue, red, and yellow dots making up the light blue coloring.

Also in the box was a pack of 20 Gillette Blue Blades with C-4 datecode, indicating 1957 manufacture, which I assume should NOT be used for anything other than scraping burned-on food off of cookpans or something. But I'm curious, is anyone making counterfeit/reproduction Blue Blades, as the package and blades don't look old, there aren't any scratches on the dispenser, and the blades aren't rusted.

I doubt there's much of a market out there for old blades. Some are just in really good condition. I've seen some that look like they've survived a nuclear holocaust and others that look like they were untouched and sealed in a hyperbolic chamber since they were made.

Also, welcome to B&B.

Regardless, I assume the 51 year old blades should NOT be used for shaving. I've bought a pack of USA Personnas (not the greatest blade, I know, but it's what I can get locally for now), a brush, and some Proraso and I think I'm going to give it a go tonight or tomorrow morning before church. I'll let you know how it went.

After 5 years of using an electric, and getting both a lousy shave and ingrown hairs, I've decided to try a double-edge razor. I've obtained an old Gillette Milord (Post-war model, basically a gold-plated Super Speed). the seller wasn't that knowledgeable, didn't know what a Milord was and had included a booklet from a Super Speed razor, which appears to be a reproduction as I've looked at it with a magnifying glass and can see the blue, red, and yellow dots making up the light blue coloring.

Unless the original booklet was four-color, then yeah, that is a reproduction. Most of the Gillette booklets I've seen are two color.

Also in the box was a pack of 20 Gillette Blue Blades with C-4 datecode, indicating 1957 manufacture, which I assume should NOT be used for anything other than scraping burned-on food off of cookpans or something. But I'm curious, is anyone making counterfeit/reproduction Blue Blades, as the package and blades don't look old, there aren't any scratches on the dispenser, and the blades aren't rusted.

You know, I wouldn't use these for your first couple of months, but leave them in a cool dry place and give one a try. You might be surprised -- there's a thread here (currently quite active) full of reviews of the new/old stock blades. The reviews are generally great even for the older blades.

Welcome, and enjoy!

Top Bottom