What's new

Slickest, best shave creams?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I am normally a soap guy. I recently won some Simpson’s shaving cream in rose, and was really impressed. The amount of lather, the stability, cushion, and slickness, beat out my very best soaps. I have a thick beard and so I have to buff – go back over areas that have already been shaved – and the Simpson’s let me do that much more easily than even the best soaps.

I tried Proraso cream when I first started shaving years ago, and never really used many creams after that. I liked digging my brush into soap. With the Simpson’s revelation, I think it may be time to revisit, because apparently creams work much better for me than even the very best soaps (Nuavia, Sudsy Soapery, etc.). In terms of all variables, the Simpson’s blew my soaps out of the water.

This being said, I know virtually nothing about creams. Which are the best of the best? I have very sensitive skin so quality is extremely important.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Given where you are at, must tries are Castle Forbes and Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort. Other T&H creams are excellent, especially the fragrances, but are a tiny, tiny, bit lower than UC in performance IMO. Aqua di Parma performs well but no longer has the Colonia fragrance. XPEC and SNM are highly regarded, I have not tried them because I prefer milder fragrances and don't care for menthol. ABC is also good but it's more of a croap and it is also likely the most expensive 'cream' in existence.

I have not tried Crabtree and Evelyn creams but they also seem to get top marks, especially for the fragrances.

And yes, Simpsons is good stuff!

Cheers, Steve

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Given where you are at, must tries are Castle Forbes and Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort. Other T&H creams are excellent, especially the fragrances, but are a tiny, tiny, bit lower than UC in performance IMO. Aqua di Parma performs well but no longer has the Colonia fragrance. XPEC and SNM are highly regarded, I have not tried them because I prefer milder fragrances and don't care for menthol. ABC is also good but it's more of a croap and it is also likely the most expensive 'cream' in existence.

I have not tried Crabtree and Evelyn creams but they also seem to get top marks, especially for the fragrances.

Cheers, Steve

Many thanks, Steve. Do you know anything of Baume.be?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
No sir, but many people think highly of it. Most complaints seem to be that it smells like carrots, which while not expected, or considered manly, may be OK if it doesn't persist. Especially if you like carrots.

Cheers, Steve

Baume.be is one of my best performing soaps/creams. Great stuff. I don't find it smells like carrots, more like an earthy oakmoss or something. Personally I really like the scent. Now it is yellow in color, but only before being lathered, white once lathered. Maybe the yellow plus knowing there is beta carotene in it causes folks to think they smell carrots.

The proraso red and blue creams are great (I don't really care for a menthol shave cream).

Nivea creams are great and inexpensive also.

Last edited:

Cheers, Steve
I have the Crabtree & Evelyn's Moroccan Myrrh and it is fantastic. Lathers like crazy, slickness & post shave are also great. The scent is out of this world. Another great cream is St James Of London. I have the Sandalwood & Bergamot.
+1 on the T&H. I have the Trafalgar, nice soft scent, and very smooth.
I also lucked out when I ordered and got the Acqua Di Parma Colonia (maybe the last one?). Have not tried it yet, very expensive. Same for castle Forbes Lime which I have not opened yet.

Mikey

My rotation of creams and soaps is ridiculously large. But for the month of October, I have decided to just stick with Speick cream. Great scent, I think, floral, slightly medicinal. All-natural. Rich lather that leaves a great post-shave feel; I never need a balm after Speick.

When it comes to a cream that seems to protect, have great slickness and great post shave I would have to say trumper coconut. The scent is super mild, with other opinions differing, but I think it is as good as my favorite soap. It also doesn't take much to get enough for two to three passes. I like the scent. All this is my honest opinion.

Some of my favorite creams:
Truefitt & Hill -1805, Trafalgar, West Indian Limes
St. James of London -Black Pepper & Lime

I find several creams to be very impressive. XPEC, Baume.be, Esbjerg and Meissner Tremonia shaving paste are all awesome. My favorite cream, however, is Wm Neumann. It comes in a huge 8oz jug, squirts like hand lotion, lathers up in the scuttle in about 5 seconds, lasts forever, and creates a mound of cushiony, moist, slick lather. I have six jugs.

I find several creams to be very impressive. XPEC, Baume.be, Esbjerg and Meissner Tremonia shaving paste are all awesome. My favorite cream, however, is Wm Neumann. It comes in a huge 8oz jug, squirts like hand lotion, lathers up in the scuttle in about 5 seconds, lasts forever, and creates a mound of cushiony, moist, slick lather. I have six jugs.

What "flavors" of Wm Neumann have you tried and what is your favorite? Any scents not to your liking?

There are many great creams to discover.

That being said....because time is of the essence...grab yourself a tube or 2 of I Coloniali Rhubarb softening shave cream. It's one of the best around, with a wonderful unique scent, and is being discontinued.

Top Bottom