What's new

Made Rite Bakelite Brush

I came across a brush today but wasn't sure of the value. It was a Made Rite bakelite and what looked like either wood or aged ivory handle. It was marked on the bottom with "Made Rite", "Nylon" and "34". It may have also had "USA" and on it. It was obviously a nylon bristle brush but they were still in good form. Is it worth picking up cheap?

I came across a brush today but wasn't sure of the value. It was a Made Rite bakelite and what looked like either wood or aged ivory handle. It was marked on the bottom with "Made Rite", "Nylon" and "34". It may have also had "USA" and on it. It was obviously a nylon bristle brush but they were still in good form. Is it worth picking up cheap?

Wouldn't that depend tremendously on whether it was wood or ivory?? I doubt it's ivory, as its most likely Bakelite-- just what the thing says! I wouldn't pay more than $10-$15 for something like that, personally.

The reason I was thinking ivory or a very hard wood is because the handle was a pronounced two-tone. The end half was clearly bakelite (brown and slightly translucent) and the upper half closest to the knot was an ivory color. I guess it could have been ivory colored bakelite. The bristles were in very good shape for the obvious age.

Thanks for the input, Scott!

Does it look something like this:

View attachment 23113

If so, its an inexpensive boar or badger (depending on the model) brush with a bakelite (plastic) handle.

If its a badger (it should say badger on the brush if it is) in good condition and you can get it cheap - as in $5 - $10 go for it.

If its a boar (may just say bristle), I'd pay no more than $5 unless its in pristine condition.

There are tons of these brushes on ebay, so you can check values/conditions.

If you're looking for an inexpensive boar brush, there are lots of inexpensive options out there - anywhere from a couple of bucks to $15 for the Omega (probably the best boar brush out there).

Hope this helps.

Does it look something like this:

View attachment 23113

If so, its an inexpensive boar or badger (depending on the model) brush with a bakelite (plastic) handle.

If its a badger (it should say badger on the brush if it is) in good condition and you can get it cheap - as in $5 - $10 go for it.

If its a boar (may just say bristle), I'd pay no more than $5 unless its in pristine condition.

There are tons of these brushes on ebay, so you can check values/conditions.

If you're looking for an inexpensive boar brush, there are lots of inexpensive options out there - anywhere from a couple of bucks to $15 for the Omega (probably the best boar brush out there).

Hope this helps.

I found that very one in my search. But, no, it is definitely a synthetic with "Nylon" where you would normally find Badger on the Made Rite brushes. Also, the ivory and brown are reversed with the ivory at the brush end. It is also in much better condition than that boar. The model number "34" is also on the base of the handle. I was looking at it more as a collectible as I already have a boar that does me fine right now. I'm just wondering if anyone has any additional input.

I found that very one in my search. But, no, it is definitely a synthetic with "Nylon" where you would normally find Badger on the Made Rite brushes. Also, the ivory and brown are reversed with the ivory at the brush end. It is also in much better condition than that boar. The model number "34" is also on the base of the handle. I was looking at it more as a collectible as I already have a boar that does me fine right now. I'm just wondering if anyone has any additional input.

Brushes of that sort are a dime a dozen, and tend not to have real collectible value. When you see vintage brushes going for money, they're usually high-grade badger some some of the finer English companies (and I wouldn't even pay big money for those), or have very high quality handle materials like ivory, crystal, silver, etc.

That said, the relative price of these things can make brush collecting a fine hobby, so long as you're not real interested in resale value.

Top Bottom