What's new

DIY Beard Oil?

I've been making my own beard oil recently and am wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for a carrier oil I can use without risking it going rancid.

thank you all in advance!

My son sports a fine beard...thick and dark. He asked me to make him some beard oil. We experimented with various oils and he settled on plain almond oil. His second choice was grape seed oil. He prefers unscented...but a few drops of your favourite EO would be a nice addition.

Jojoba is a preferred carrier because it mimics the qualities of the skins natural oils. Grape seed oil, as mentioned above is also a good contender. Both will keep for years if stored properly. I have a batch of each, prepared by a friend as a gift over a year ago, and they are as fresh and crisp as they were the day they were gifted to me. They have been kept in sealed brown-glass vials in my den closet, away from sun and heat. Hope this information was useful to you and best of luck on your makers journey!

Thank you for your input! I've played around with it for a while in the past and usually have used a bit of coconut oil but I was getting sick of having to heat up the oil to use it. I'll definitely have to look into jojoba and grapeseed. If I'm correct though, jojoba may be out of my price range (graduate student so I have no money).

Thank you for your input! I've played around with it for a while in the past and usually have used a bit of coconut oil but I was getting sick of having to heat up the oil to use it. I'll definitely have to look into jojoba and grapeseed. If I'm correct though, jojoba may be out of my price range (graduate student so I have no money).

I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's in your area or not, but they have a four ounce bottle for about $7.00 if I remember correctly. Probably one of the best buy's out there. There are other places like the Vitamin Shoppe and Whole Foods that have bottles for closer to $10.00. If you are using it for beard oil...it should last you quite a while!

I actually came here to see if someone had a good source for Essential oils, but I can confirm that Jojoba oil is what you want to use. I FINALLY got some just a few days ago, and its amazing. I do it a couple times (I may carry some one me now) but could do 3 -4 times a day. Its amazing and has taken the itch down a lot. I currently am using a cedar essential oil so I smell like a delightful lumberjack...lol I am looking to get a variety of other essential oils for their benefits and to make more complex aromas. :)

I have checked a number of places and sometimes the prices vary quite a bit. Do any of you have a good source of essential oils that are still pure, but wont cost an arm and a leg for? I have looked at Wellington, Bramble Berry, Young Living, mountain rose herbs (since I get my root beer ingredients from here), and some others that I cant recall ATM. Any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks

I just made some tonight. I used 3/4 oz fractionated coconut oil, 1/4 oz avocado oil, about 6 drops of cedarwood, 4 drops ylang ylang and rosemary, 5 drops white fir, 2 drops wild orange, 2 drops tea tree oil, and a drop of frankincense. It gives a nice woodsy scent and feels great. My wife buys Doterra essential oils, but they are expensive. I picked up quite a few Natures Truth oils at our local Meijer store for $5-6 for 15ml. Much more reasonable to me.

Here's where I got my ideas from for the blends.

http://beardoilrecipes.com/10-best-homemade-beard-oil-recipes
http://www.bloominginbedlam.com/?p=1756

One thing to consider on this is how likely an oil is to clog your pours. Check out this site: https://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html

Personally, I'm looking at sunflower oil as a carrier because it rates a zero , is very shelf stable, and is relatively cheap. I have been looking at it for pre-shave and beard.

Originally I was looking at Hempseed oil because it's anti-inflammatory for irritated skin, but it turns out that it has to be refrigerated... oh well.

Last edited:
For my own skin/hair oil. You can use this as a beard oil. I use this as a pre shave and an after shave. The essential oils I use for this are Laverdar, tea tree, ceadarwood oil and myrrh oil all mixed with castor oil, avacado oil and grapeseed oil works great for me. I might tamper off though here soon and just use something more basic. Like mix in just a few oils.

I have great luck with almond oil and jojoba oil. Almond oil is pretty cost effective--I get a two pound bottle at my Indian market for around ten bucks.

Vitamin E oil is mostly soybean oil with some Vitamin E added, so read the label on that.

Avocado works well, also. I used that when I was a bearded fellow. A bit of musk, a bit of clove. Ahhhhhh...

Nearly enough to make me suffer the growing out itches again!

I don't know if grapeseed oil would be a good choice, because I read somewhere once, that it goes bad fairly quickly.

Doing some googling I found an interesting chart: http://www.eatbydate.com/other/condiments/how-long-does-oil-last/

Not sure if the shelf life for eating the oil, is the same as wearing it ;)

$11-29-2016 10-32-10 AM.png$11-29-2016 10-32-26 AM.png

I've been creating my own hair/beard/skin oil.
Seems to work perfect for my goatee, hair and skin for me and my son.
Mainly to solve dry skin issues. It doesn't makes my hair grow back on my bald spot :)
I use a blend of jojoba oil, almond oil, argan oil and pomegranate oil (good for ph balance).
I also add some essential oils to it for scent, but since scents are personal, you should try and find a combination that suits you.

Coconut is known for being very shelf stable. It's also solid at room temp, which may or may not be a feature you look for.

Even though I have bulk quantities of coconut oil on hand from soap making, I use almond and jojoba for my beard oil and balm. I like the skin feel I get from those oils--no oily feeling residue.

Check out or GOOGLE "Beard Oil Concoction" . There are 7 or so of my recipes with reviews. Johoba 1st ,Sweet Almond is 2nd best carrier oil for face fuzz.

Last edited:
Dont mean to jack the tread but i need help and cant find the answer anywhere i made some beard oil with fractionated coconut oil and bioton and a few drops of cedarwood oil and there is a thin jelly like substance on the top of it! What did i do wrong? Is this normal? Has anyone else had this problem?

Jojoba is a preferred carrier because it mimics the qualities of the skins natural oils. Grape seed oil, as mentioned above is also a good contender. Both will keep for years if stored properly. I have a batch of each, prepared by a friend as a gift over a year ago, and they are as fresh and crisp as they were the day they were gifted to me. They have been kept in sealed brown-glass vials in my den closet, away from sun and heat. Hope this information was useful to you and best of luck on your makers journey!
+1

Top Bottom