What's new

VIKING BATTLE Russia vs. Bulgaria

Russian Viking " Snowy Peaks " cream vs. Bulgarian Viking "Active " cream.Both contain menthol ,the more cooling face feel goes to Bulgaria. Both smell great.The RV has a very potent scent , and it's a good bright & sunny perfume / light citrus type ,potency equals that of Park Ave. and Yardley Indian creams. BV has a more subdued traditional soapy coumarin,light citrus scent. The lube , glide and longevity of the BV cream is excellent , however the RV cream is truly a triumph of shave cream formulation ! I added lots of water to the RV cream ,it swallowed every drop,it's more concentrated than the Brazilian creams. A small dollop lasted through a long face shave with many passes, then a head shave ,and I still had lather left over !! . Very comforting and soothing , this is really a stellar performer ,and at this writing , dirt cheap from an American vendor at $1.60 per tube.There is a Sensitive version as well..The Bulgarian Viking is excellent , no doubt , but the Russian Viking will go toe-to-toe with the worlds finest creams , regardless of price....

Attachments

• $DSCN0804.jpg
    $DSCN0804.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 141
  • $DSCN0803.jpg
    $DSCN0803.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 138
  • $DSCN0806.jpg
    $DSCN0806.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 139
  • $DSCN0812.jpg
    $DSCN0812.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 134
  • $DSCN0819.jpg
    $DSCN0819.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 134
I agree with you that the Russian one outperforms the already stellar Bulgarian cream. Have you tried Top Ten? I was a bit sceptical at first but actually it's really good.

Top Ten Menthol and Sensitive are two very good creams. It seems to me that the Sensitive version is more cooling, strangely enough.

Top Ten Menthol and Sensitive are two very good creams. It seems to me that the Sensitive version is more cooling, strangely enough.
Well confound it! It now I'm going to have to get hold of the Menthol version to try it out. You, you, enabler you! :). The sensitive is a great cream I agree.

I agree with you that the Russian one outperforms the already stellar Bulgarian cream. Have you tried Top Ten? I was a bit sceptical at first but actually it's really good.

Yes , Top Ten is great cream ,but in all honesty ,every Bulgarian cream I have tried has been fantastic , same for Russian creams.Coming soon: Belarus cream shootout !

I have found many creams labeled "sensitive" to have stronger menthol , always wondered how they figure that !

Yes , Top Ten is great cream ,but in all honesty ,every Bulgarian cream I have tried has been fantastic , same for Russian creams.Coming soon: Belarus cream shootout !
I'll await that shoot out with great interest. The only Bulgarian cream I've ever found unpleasant was Evterpa - ineffective and to my nose quite rank smelling. Otherwise my experiences of Bulgarian, Russian, Hungarian (love the Hungarian Figaro), and Polish creams has been like yours - great creams with a really good price:performance ration. I'm doing a series of pass-arounds and PIFs of Eastern European & Russian creams to help get the European/UK group going. I'm going to be very interested to see peoples' reactions to the selections I send out.

I'll await that shoot out with great interest. The only Bulgarian cream I've ever found unpleasant was Evterpa - ineffective and to my nose quite rank smelling. Otherwise my experiences of Bulgarian, Russian, Hungarian (love the Hungarian Figaro), and Polish creams has been like yours - great creams with a really good price:performance ration. I'm doing a series of pass-arounds and PIFs of Eastern European & Russian creams to help get the European/UK group going. I'm going to be very interested to see peoples' reactions to the selections I send out.

Evterpa is one I never tried,along with varieties of Argo,Elina,Addicto,Aro,Aspis,Dunabian Waves and maybe Spatia....I have tried different varieties ,but not every variety, of Herbs of Bulgaria,Clubs , Spades, Agressia,Kapo,Viking,Top 10 ,Kupa , Pika ,Ikar (Tornado) ,Adventure ,Compass ,AmigoFresh, Super-Max ,Mystic and Pascale......Every last Bulgarian cream I tried was very good to excellent , no duds in the bunch.

Oh my goodness, Evterpa smells lousy. It lathers well, but I can't take that scent. I agree with you all the way. Another Bulgarian failure to me was Karo Fresh. Irritation, dryness, and also not too nice-scented. No menthol feeling either. Again, that cream also has good lather.

What American vendor are you buying from? A Google search on Russian Viking shave cream didn't give me any vendors.

I think the Bulgarian and Russian Viking creams were reformulated. I received a tube of the Bulgarian Viking Sensitive and it smells different than the original version. It seems to lather better and easier, and it's slightly more mentholated. I never tried the Russian reformulation.

Well confound it! It now I'm going to have to get hold of the Menthol version to try it out. You, you, enabler you! :). The sensitive is a great cream I agree.

The Menthol version has a great scent which is completely different from the Sensitive. The Sensitive one is more sporty, and the Menthol is more cologne-type. It seems to resemble Drakkar Noir.

ACEEBF18-18DA-418E-B9E1-CC8AE8EA3BF5.jpeg
Ron, have you ever tried these two original versions of Viking Sensitive? The one on the left is Bulgarian and the other is Russian. Both are terrific. I think the Russian one smells nicer, though.

Rick

@Big Rick , the left Viking is old package of Bulgarian version, and probably it was expired already.
Anyway, this is the new package, and it is one of my favorite creams now :001_cool:

proxy.php

I only used the Bulgarian Viking and it is indeed excellent stuff. I liked it better than Brion, Palmolive and Arko creams. I consider it on par with Nivea.

The blue menthol aftershave (Viking Sensitive ASL) is also brilliant. I will get me some more of that summer goodness, now that this thread reminded me.

proxy.php

Top Bottom