What's new

NFL research revealed regarding kick-off rule changes

The NFL made kick-off rule changes for the 2016 season to reduce the number of returns with the intension of reducing player injury. Ball placement changed to the 25 yard line on a touchback from placement in previous years at the 20 yard line. Exactly how this was supposed to decrease the number of returns mystified many. It appears that savvy NFL coaches have instructed their kickers to employ mortar kicks short of the goal line. The number of returns has actually increased in the first three games of the year. An NFL source previously had stated that data would be collected for the NFL to review after the fourth game of the season. "Charlie Brown" Goodell always sure of his own personal convictions appears to have ignored the evidence collected so far and proclaimed the rule will remain in effect for the remainder of the season.

"Charlie Brown" Goodell has released the exhaustive research that he had commissioned to support his ruling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=055wFyO6gag

The NFL made kick-off rule changes for the 2016 season to reduce the number of returns with the intension of reducing player injury. Ball placement changed to the 25 yard line on a touchback from placement in previous years at the 20 yard line. Exactly how this was supposed to decrease the number of returns mystified many. It appears that savvy NFL coaches have instructed their kickers to employ mortar kicks short of the goal line. The number of returns has actually increased in the first three games of the year. An NFL source previously had stated that data would be collected for the NFL to review after the fourth game of the season. "Charlie Brown" Goodell always sure of his own personal convictions appears to have ignored the evidence collected so far and proclaimed the rule will remain in effect for the remainder of the season.

"Charlie Brown" Goodell has released the exhaustive research that he had commissioned to support his ruling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=055wFyO6gag
I watched a little bit of the Penn v Dartmouth game tonight. I learned that the Ivy League is the only conference to kick off at the 40 yard line. I wonder if this option would work.

Don't tell Joey Julius (the Penn State kicker)

$IMG_1931.GIF

I don't doubt that kick-offs are the most dangerous plays in football. When 265 lb. men who run a 4.5 second/40 yard dash are given a running start to collide with each other, nothing good is going to happen. Knees weren't meant to take that kind of punishment. Personally I am not crazy about punt returns either. Same men running at a stationary target trying to catch a ball.

It has been part of the game but sometime the game needs to change.

Team scores, the other team takes the ball at their 20 yard line. Save some knees to play another day. If it saves 5 players a year an IR designation or a few players a career it's worth it.

It certainly has been part of the strategy of the game. Outcomes of games have changed with the strategy of the onside kick. It has been a way the trailing team can attempt to be competitive or gain advantage.

Many times the onside kick is a play of desperation. Without the option of the onside kick maybe coaches would become more desperate to open up their offenses earlier in games they trail.

Top Bottom