What's new

What's wrong with Zamak?

Seriously, other than it not being as sexy as brass or stainless, is there anything wrong with Zamak?

A Zamak razor can last a lifetime. However, if the plating is chipped/damaged, moisture will cause it to corrode/rot. While zamak is fine, a better material provides more peace of mind.

My lay understanding is that Zamak comes in a variety of grades, each with its own properties (including corrosion resistance), and that different parts of the world and different industries favor one type over another. If true, that would suggest that we can't speak of Zamak as a single type of material, but a family of materials with varying proportions of zinc, aluminum, magnesium and copper. It would also suggest that some types of Zamak make a higher quality razor than other types.

There are a lot of Gillette Techs from the early 60s still looking good with their Zamak heads.

There are a lot of Gillette Techs from the early 60s still looking good with their Zamak heads.
True. But only so long as the protective coating (Nickel in the case of the techs, chrome in a lot of other cases) remains intact. Once that coating fails, whether scratched, dinged, or just worn over time, the base material will break down. If it continues to be used it will degrade fairly quickly. If it sits on a shelf and stays dry it will last longer but eventually even the moisture in the air will cause it to break down.

If you want a razor to last, stick with brass or stainless.

Other her than the fact that Zamak rots from exposure to water, it's a pretty good material. I don't like it used in razors because it makes an item that should last several lifetimes become a 3-5 year tool.

True. But only so long as the protective coating (Nickel in the case of the techs, chrome in a lot of other cases) remains intact. Once that coating fails, whether scratched, dinged, or just worn over time, the base material will break down. If it continues to be used it will degrade fairly quickly. If it sits on a shelf and stays dry it will last longer but eventually even the moisture in the air will cause it to break down.

I like to think of it like chocolate.

Or specifically an m&m.

Granted not all zamak is created equal but for modern razors I would just as soon avoid it. Once you breach that candy coating, like the inside of an m&m, the zamak melts.

I prefer to have a little more piece of mind.

I have plenty of zamak razors. New and antique.
The fact that if any of my zamak razors start to wear out I'll never be able to restore them bothers me. You can't replate them easily. I don't think anyone will do it really. A brass, aluminum, bronze, copper, or stainless razor can be polished and plated and won't be as fragile.

Nothing lasts forever. Zamak razors are just a poor material choice for the intended use. It's like using sandstone or a salt block. I wouldn't put them in water and say they're fine just because they're chrome plated either.

It's not a question of if they'll melt or fail. It's when?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Zamak razor. If taken care of they can last for years. They must be used with care so that the plating doesn't get damaged, but they are good tools. Brass or stainless are more durable long-term in many/most cases, but there is no reason to fear Zamak.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Zamak razor. If taken care of they can last for years. They must be used with care so that the plating doesn't get damaged, but they are good tools. Brass or stainless are more durable long-term in many/most cases, but there is no reason to fear Zamak.
+1.
I think my Razorock 37 slant head is Zamak. I treat it right, I think it'll out last me.... Of course, I don't buy green bananas either, so...

The problem area most of the time is the threads, wear and stretching compromises the chrome coating and lets water in. After that it's only a matter of time, usually a short amount of time, before the threads fail or the stud snaps off. And Zamak doesn't bend, it breaks, so if you drop it, the threaded stud will most likely snap off. Look at some of the 100 year old Gillettes and you'll see bent teeth, bent corners, and frowning head parts, so it's obvious that brass can take a beating and not snap off leaving you without a razor.

+1. It is all a matter of what you are looking for. Nothing wrong with zamak, so long as you recognize it's limitations IMO.

My lay understanding is that Zamak comes in a variety of grades, each with its own properties (including corrosion resistance), and that different parts of the world and different industries favor one type over another. If true, that would suggest that we can't speak of Zamak as a single type of material, but a family of materials with varying proportions of zinc, aluminum, magnesium and copper. It would also suggest that some types of Zamak make a higher quality razor than other types.

Excellent points. When we call all cast razors " Zamak", we're being a bit fast and loose with terminology. What we really mean is "zinc alloy", of which there are several varieties. Zamak was originally a proprietary blend alloy, and there are now several different sub-types. The general category of zinc alloy also includes of plenty of other lesser quality alloys being used for razors, and there is really no way to know what you're getting with various modern production razors. Having said that, the durability of zinc alloy parts is mostly ab0ut the quality of plating. Generally, if the plating holds up over time, so too will the underlying razor part. However, no cast zinc alloy has the long term durability of brass or stainless, regardless of the plating quality.

And as for the 60s Techs, only the caps, not the entire head, were cast zinc alloy. The plates continued to be made from stamped brass through the end of the Tech's production run. And the plating on the caps was high quality, which accounts at least in part for their longevity.

Generally, if the plating holds up over time, so too will the underlying razor part. However, no cast zinc alloy has the long term durability of brass or stainless, regardless of the plating quality.

And as for the 60s Techs, only the caps, not the entire head, were cast zinc alloy. The plates continued to be made from stamped brass through the end of the Tech's production run. And the plating on the caps was high quality, which accounts at least in part for their longevity.

Thanks for the correction regarding the Tech heads. The wealth of knowledge around here continues to amaze me. I certainly agree with you and others that brass and stainless are more durable metals than zinc alloy and more suitable for a wet shaving environment.

I think most of a Zamak razor will hold up pretty well if it's not banged around enough to chip or wear the plating. But the part I wonder about is the attachment point for the handle on a three-piece design. All that screwing and unscrewing seems (to my non-expert mind) bound to wear it out. I suppose the occasional drop of 3-in-one oil might be a good idea.

Nothing except that it will disintegrate once the plating is breached.
I think people are getting too hung up about the longevity of zamac. As an experiment about 5 years ago I filed the plating away from part of the head of an EJ razor, this included the threaded post. Well it hasn't disintegrated yet. Don't get me wrong I know it can happen. I have a unused Merkur Slant, still in it's case, which has been slowly dissolving before my eyes and that has never been subjected to water. The EJ has been used (not every week) for those 5 years and is still fine. When, and if, it fails replacement heads are cheap so no problem. Use and don't panic :001_smile.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I read awhile back that it isn't so much the zinc alloy that causes the problem. Remember, this is an issue for all cast zinc alloy products, like toy cars and such. The point that was made was that it is the purity of the alloy mixture that is at fault. More specifically, the amount of lead in the mixture, that eventually leaks out and causes the alloy to break down...

Therefore, it is my understanding that if the Zamac has virtually no lead in the mixture, it shouldn't break down so easily. It will still be brittle though..

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's fine. If you purchase a cheaper razor and it gives you years of service you got your money's worth. Be happy.

While I'd rather use one expensive razor and then leave it to my son, that's my choice - doesn't mean it has to be your choice. There are many reasons for using a cheaper razor (not sure exactly what you want yet, don't have a pile of money set aside for a razor at the moment, don't like to spend more than necessary, etc.).

It's just a choice, not life or death stuff. Now the blade selection . . . that's life or death stuff.:w00t:

Perhaps I'm wrong but I read awhile back that it isn't so much the zinc alloy that causes the problem. Remember, this is an issue for all cast zinc alloy products, like toy cars and such. The point that was made was that it is the purity of the alloy mixture that is at fault. More specifically, the amount of lead in the mixture, that eventually leaks out and causes the alloy to break down...

Therefore, it is my understanding that if the Zamac has virtually no lead in the mixture, it shouldn't break down so easily. It will still be brittle though..
My understanding is that present legislation requires a max of between 0.1% and 0.03% lead in zinc alloys. If this is the case I don't think the lead content is an issue.

Here's an article on corrosion-resistance properties of Zinc/Aluminum alloys.

And here is the wiki entry for the various grades of Zamak with a bunch of technical information about composition and properties that I don't understand.

I'm not vouching for anything written there. Just passing it along.

I like things that last. For that reason I'm just not interested in zamak razors. Sure some can last decades but many don't even with proper care. If you accept the materials inherent limitations in regards to durability there's nothing wrong with it at all.

There is nothing wrong with Zamak. I have been using a Maggards V1 head to shave my head for a little over three years. The fit and finish when purchased was far from perfect but I figured with the weird angles I use dropping it was a possibility I do not want to risk with my Weber. After hundreds of shaves it still looks the same as the day I bought it, not bad for a $2.95 scratch and dent head.

Top Bottom