What's new

happy birthday from Ralf

$20160930_071147.jpg
This is my birthday present from my wife, a 6/8 roundpoint with Shorkopf in stainless steel and bone scales. Shaved with it tonight out of the box with just a good stropping and I have to say a little dissapointed:blush:.

I have several vintage razors that I have honed myself and a new Revisor which was a starter kit from the manufacturer. I thought the Ralf Aust would give me a target to aim for but sadly it didn't hit the mark, the Shorkopf is not equal and I am going to have to spend some time on the hones to get the edge I was hoping for, at the moment I have a patchy shave from several passes and razor burn :sneaky2:. potential I'm sure but for 200 euros I expected a little more!

Oh man...such a gorgeous razor and such a let down! Have you tried emailing him/them to see if they would address the issue?

View attachment 692310
This is my birthday present from my wife, a 6/8 roundpoint with Shorkopf in stainless steel and bone scales. Shaved with it tonight out of the box with just a good stropping and I have to say a little dissapointed:blush:.

I have several vintage razors that I have honed myself and a new Revisor which was a starter kit from the manufacturer. I thought the Ralf Aust would give me a target to aim for but sadly it didn't hit the mark, the Shorkopf is not equal and I am going to have to spend some time on the hones to get the edge I was hoping for, at the moment I have a patchy shave from several passes and razor burn :sneaky2:. potential I'm sure but for 200 euros I expected a little more!

nice gift form the wife! be sure to properly thank her!
the blade probably will only need some light honing.
fwiw, the aust i received recently from SRD was excellent out of the box.
just my reco, send to honemeister to be sure it has a proper starting edge.
well worth the little extra time and cost.
enjoy, and Happy Birthday!

So I decided to give the razor a proper edge and I'll shave again later today. As there was no wear at all on the spine and after a careful look at the edge with my microscope I decided to put one layer of tape on and give it a few strokes on the 4k then onto the 8k and finish under running water on my 15k, it has taken a fantastic edge.. after stropping it pings the hair on contact with the HHT! Let's hope the shave is as good as I hope. I am just going to live with uneven Shorkopf, perhaps it makes it unique?$20161001_110722.jpg

Top Bottom