What's new

Help me Pick my Next Soap

I'm looking for a new soap to replace my Proraso Red which is just about finished.

So far I've tried and used:

VDH - just OK bought at Target wouldn't buy again
MWF - very nice lather, but no scent and a little boring

Currently in Rotation:
QCS Vostok - nice menthol kick, love the peppermint smell and lathers well
Tabac - great lather, nice scent
Cella - great lather, great cherry marzipany smell
Proraso Red - ok lather, can't even smell the sandalwood it's supposed to smell like

I'm think of getting one of the following

Stirling - Gentleman
Stirling - Sharp Dressed Man
Mama Bears - Aromatic Pipe Tobacco
Mystic Waters - Briar
Captains Choice - Bay Rum

Can anyone comment on any of these or offer other suggestion? I'd like to stick with a small artisan maker.

Of the ones you selected I'd choose Captain's Choice but I'd go for their Lime soap instead of the Bay Rum.

I really like the Captain's Choice Lime soap but here are some even better choices.

Sudsy Soapery
PannaCrema
Cold River Soap Works
Midnight & Two
Tallow & Steel

Of the ones you listed, I would go with Mystic Waters, followed by Captain's choice. But that is MY personal opinion. David gave you some very good options as well.

Of the ones you listed, I would go with Mystic Waters, followed by Captain's choice. But that is MY personal opinion. David gave you some very good options as well.

If you end up picking Mystic Waters please make sure you get something in the new formula instead of the old one that was a bit more difficult to lather.

absolutely, mystic water.

nothing else will do!

(just kidding, all others are great as well!)

$mystic water lime kent feather captains choice penhaligon quercus january 6 2016.jpg

If you want a great performing soap that is easy to lather and feels great afterwards: HASLINGER SHAFMILCH.

If you like to PM your address, I don't mind PIFing you mine. I only used it a few times. I use my knife to cut out samples for me to use. Great, soap but the scent is not for me.

PM sent. Thanks so much! Really appreciate it.

I use Captain's bay Rum and it's great! Trying his North next.
You can add barrister & Mann Latha- Oceana to you list. Also great.
I have not tried the others mentioned in this tread, so I can't comment on them.

Mikey

I'll have to speak for Mama Bear's. Haven't tried her tobacco scent, but have several of her glycerins and they are fantastic latherers and the scents stay with you for a few hours after. So match it up with your post-shave scent to compliment it.

My proraso red soap has a relatively strong scent. It lingers for at least 2-3 hrs. The OP couldnt smell his red's scent. That sounds like a fluke with a bad maybe old product. Suggest you try a new one.

Top Bottom