What's new

Blood everywhere. Help.

I cannot give anymore shaving advise above what's already be so expertly given.
Therefore, I focus on skin con condition. The blood spots don't appear to be nicks, but rather small pimples or rough skin areas that are slightly producing and are actually being "tipped" by the razor. That's what I get from the pictures because the blood spots are round in each case and not linear as in a slice or nick. Not being an MD I can only advise that you carefully feel the skin under the neck and chin for any bumps and be especially careful and slow as she goes in that area. As members stated, make sure those areas are "super" slick with NO pressure at all from the razor.

Good luck, don't give up, and I hope I've helped.

Mikey

Are you stretching your skin at all during the shave? By tilting your head or pulling up or down on your skin, it is possible to make the area being shaved somewhat flatter and that is a big help (one of the reasons that the cheeks are so easy to shave).

Yes I am. I stretch it by moving my head around but not by using my fingers.

Van Der Hagen is the brand name that I grabbed, it comes in an orange squeeze tube with black top. I hope this is some help. Everyone deserves to enjoy their shave.

No Walmarts in Indonesia. As I said, there is nothing here other than basic Gillette stuff and some Japanese stuff in the Japanese mall near my place which isn't good at all.

Three years of torture? My advice would be to grow a beard.

I didn't read all posts, I admit. Six passes seems a bit excessive. You should be able to get decent shaves in only two passes.

Yes, I would grow a beard if the wife let me :) Although I know it would quite selfish, as a Frenchman, I even kiss my male friends on cheeks (you know, "la bise") and I hate it when one of them has a beard. So I can't really blame her.

I cannot give anymore shaving advise above what's already be so expertly given.
Therefore, I focus on skin con condition. The blood spots don't appear to be nicks, but rather small pimples or rough skin areas that are slightly producing and are actually being "tipped" by the razor. That's what I get from the pictures because the blood spots are round in each case and not linear as in a slice or nick. Not being an MD I can only advise that you carefully feel the skin under the neck and chin for any bumps and be especially careful and slow as she goes in that area. As members stated, make sure those areas are "super" slick with NO pressure at all from the razor.

Good luck, don't give up, and I hope I've helped.

Mikey

Actually, this could be a good point. Now that you say this I remember I used to have those small bumps on my rosy cheeks when I was a kid. I don't have them anymore but maybe still a little bit under my chin and it's masked by the hair?

Or maybe all the pulling on the hair in the first passes makes the skin at the base of the hair all swollen which gets caught on the last pass?

Hello and welcome to B&B, Simon. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Plenty of good tips above. I am sure with this input, you can figure this out and get glorious shaves. Good luck.

There is a difference between the force necessary to cut hair and pushing into the skin. You need some force to cut the hair but you can still only skim the skin. If you are shaving down you can pull down forcefully but don't push the razor into the skin. The razor should never get stuck in beard hair. Make sense? Down versus in

...Actually, this could be a good point. Now that you say this I remember I used to have those small bumps on my rosy cheeks when I was a kid. I don't have them anymore but maybe still a little bit under my chin and it's masked by the hair?

Or maybe all the pulling on the hair in the first passes makes the skin at the base of the hair all swollen which gets caught on the last pass?
Read this: Insights into shaving and its impact on skin

Stop after the second pass, just for a couple of weeks, even if the results are not satisfactory.

Good luck.

Welcome friend.
All the above is excellent advice. I would just like to add a couple of small mentions. For the first I forgot who said it...
WS is not beard removal, WS is beard reduction
As such the mention of keeping the pressure down is key. Of course 1st the blade angle has to be right. Once that has been nailed down, let the blade glide over the skin, no pressure. Press down until it just meets resistance. That's all you need.
I can empathize with you being in Indonesia - Not much WS gear to be had there. I face the same challenges. The DE89 is a good razor for you to get your technique down. Alternatively the Merkur 34C is also suitable. Do not go with an adjustable for now as it introduces too many variables. Just my two cents. Best of luck.
P.S. I did notice you mentioned that your lather starts to thin down after a couple of passes. No harm adding more product if this happens :)

There is a difference between the force necessary to cut hair and pushing into the skin. You need some force to cut the hair but you can still only skim the skin. If you are shaving down you can pull down forcefully but don't push the razor into the skin. The razor should never get stuck in beard hair. Make sense? Down versus in

Thanks for mentioning this. So many people use the term no pressure which can be confusing as some force will obviously be required to cut through the whiskers.

Using the weight of the razor works well, if that razor has enough weight to pull through your growth comfortably assuming the blade is sharp enough.

For example I can let a 39c just "fall" through my beard wtg but a very light razor I may have to help through with short strokes or it just kind of gets stuck and tugs the hair off.

For OP do you have access to brushless creams? Something that will give you the same consistent slickness every time while you work on your technique than find a blade/razor combo that works best for you. One variable at a time then once you find your technique and razor you can start trying different soaps, creams and aftershaves that enhance the experience.

Lots of good advice in this thread not sure what else to say. Good luck.

Welcome, Simon:

Although you’ve been shaving with your DE razor for 3 years and dealing with the pain fairly consistently, might I add a suggested post for reading.

Dfoulk’s – Causes of Razorburn and How to Shave

It helped me to develop my technique, (although, I still struggle with too much pressure at times). My strokes are very small… even smaller than an inch… while shaving my neck-area. I also have hair growing all different directions on my neck, as well. And, under my chin – it’s still a challenge for me to get enough hair trimmed down enough. But, I’m getting better.

I constantly try to focus on the blade angle. (I’ve only been at this a relatively short amount of time.) WTG is more comfortable and natural feeling due to the build of your arms and hands on your body. XTG and ATG gives you a bit less control because you are working against gravity… and, your body… so, trying to maintain consistency during those strokes is much more deliberate. And, that is where technique might be lacking due to obvious reasons. (Simon = Generous Blood Donor to the Drain in the Shower)

Being in the shower doesn’t allow you to “hear” the sound-feedback from your razor that you are actually cutting hair. I understand that is where the hot water is, but let’s get the consistency of your technique down solid before we go for efficiency of motion and duties of the day. Just pour up a piping hot bowl of water-goodness and set it next to the bathroom sink. Focus all of your attention on your technique. And, commit to getting this thing figured out. You can do it, Simon. We all have faith in you.

Finally, just take your time to try and find what works best for you. Don’t be so concerned with getting the closest shave you can right off of the bat. Work on finding the “just right” technique that will work for you and your face to alleviate the literal “Blood-Bath” you’ve been receiving in the shower. It will happen. It’s just a matter of time, patience, and practice. Then, you’ll have the “Midas Touch” for your face… and, you will be a comfortable shaver like you always knew you could.

Best of luck to you, Simon ~

The key for me to eliminate nicks and cuts was first learning to not use any pressure, then it was refining technique and angle.

My first de shave drew lots of blood. Learned my lesson, paid attention to not using any pressure and bloodless shaves since.

Refining technique is slowly eliminating any burn.

You neck pictures looks like there's lots of bumps or maybe pimples. That is going to be a challenge for you as the blade has a tendency to level the areas it goes across. Pressure and technique are going to be important here.

Id also suggest you do not do 3,4,5,6 passes. I only do 1-2 (still beginning). I go with the grain and across the grain right now. Probably not as ultra close as some would like, but I'm shaved well enough for the day. I'd rather have a little less close shave than irritated or bleeding skin.Once I'm good enough I'll try against the grain, but there's no way in hell I'm ever going to do more than 3 passes. Just too much for my skin to handle.....

Last edited:
Hi Simon and welcome to Badger & Blade.
you have a lot of great advise before this post, Looking at your pictures you have a lot of bumps on the neck area.
If I was you I would start anew. forget all the passes your doing, start by using the sink not the shower and listen to the razor talking, giving you the feedback as its going.
And only do a 2 pass but go with the grain on both passes, and keep the skin tight by pulling down with your fingers, To keep it as flat as possible. And get used to this first then when your shaves get better then put the 3rd pass in, As most of us only do a 2 or 3 pass with touch up.
Then once your skin has got used to this and not getting angry and red, then on the second pass go across the grain.
I don't know if a mild open comb would be better, to put the hairs in place before the cut.
But I do hope this helps a little.

I would also add that I don't pay much attention to changes in grain direction. I shave top to bottom and then ear to chin.

Any small local areas where the grain changes I just leave alone and live with it. Or if it bugs me too much, I'll do a re-lather and small local touch up. For sure i won't do another full pass for touch ups.

I also have to use shorter strokes than what you see on typical you tube "how to's" where it's a big "swipe" and the guy has a large swath done.

The cheeks I can do in a stroke. Rounding the chin and jaw line is just a short little sweep. The neck I can do longer strokes, but the adam's apple requires a few short strokes. The straight part of neck is typically two strokes from top to bottom, due to the natural creases and slight angle change I have in the skin halfway down.

The reason for the short strokes (at least on my particular features) is in order for me to maintain the correct blade angle. If I were to try and drag across a couple changes in face angle I would end up with a rough shave and possible cuts do to the blade to skin angle changing.

A more advanced DE shaver may be able to make the angle change "on the fly" as they cross these areas, but I am not. A man's got to know his limitations....:001_cool:

I guess my real point is blade angle. Made a huge difference in my nicks and cuts. All comes back to technique for me. That, and as I mentioned in my previous post, pressure (IE:total lack thereof). My fatboy has enough weight on it's own to give me a satisfactory cut.

Last edited:
1. Don't use ANY pressure-- I think you must be pressing some to get that level of irritation

3. Make two full WTG passes before attempting any kind of XTG. You should be pretty smooth at this point. Hair needs to be really short before attempting XTG or ATG. That's what's causing the pulling-- the hair has not been reduced enough yet.
4. Stop doing ATG at least until you have the rest figured out
5. Don't shave in the shower-- at least until you have the swing of things--- you need to be able to see what you're doing-- where the lather is, blade angle, etc..
6. Don't go over any areas without lather-- it's common sense, but I think we all have the tendency to do this to some degree.. this causes irritation.

Welcome, Simon:
Being in the shower doesn’t allow you to “hear” the sound-feedback from your razor that you are actually cutting hair. I understand that is where the hot water is, but let’s get the consistency of your technique down solid before we go for efficiency of motion and duties of the day. Just pour up a piping hot bowl of water-goodness and set it next to the bathroom sink. Focus all of your attention on your technique. And, commit to getting this thing figured out. You can do it, Simon. We all have faith in you.

Finally, just take your time to try and find what works best for you. Don’t be so concerned with getting the closest shave you can right off of the bat. Work on finding the “just right” technique that will work for you and your face to alleviate the literal “Blood-Bath” you’ve been receiving in the shower. It will happen. It’s just a matter of time, patience, and practice. Then, you’ll have the “Midas Touch” for your face… and, you will be a comfortable shaver like you always knew you could.

You should be able to get an acceptable shave with two WTG passes. I sometimes do my WTG at 15-30 cross angles instead of straight N-S. Focus on getting that down first before you try any additional passes. More passes tends to mean more irritation and more risk of cutting yourself.

50% of my technique is auditory feedback. When I first came to DE shaving, I had trouble consistently removing hair. I had been using SEs and SRs, and both of those are louder. Once I learned to stop worrying about blade angle and just listen to the razor, things became much better. Shaving in the shower with a fog proof mirror is fine. I would suggest turning the water off while making your passes, and turning off the bathroom fan if you normally have the fan on. Try to really listen to the razor. You should be able to hear when the angle is correct.

My beard grows all over the place. I don't worry about mapping it. My standard shave is 3 passes and a touch up where necessary. I end up with shaves that work for me. Also, no pressure. Pressure will cut you.

For a start drop the pre-shave routine all you're doing is inflaming already inflamed skin. You do not need all that gunk stop using it.

6 passes? That's the major part of your problem right there. 6 passes - it's a miracle you've got any skin left at all.

I'd cold shave before I shower and rinse my using cold water and nothing else. Use an alum stick as your only aftershave for a while.

Shave using sharp blades Astra, Feather, or Kai and use no more than three downwards passes. You don't need a perfect shave - accept getting "socially acceptable" for a few weeks and give your face time to recover from what sounds to me like years of subjecting to treatment it really shouldn't receive.

Your lather appears to be good and I would echo the call to be careful of "hot" water.

In your shoes, I would simply cut out passes 4,5 and 6. Unless your technique is very good, it is impossible to drag the razor over your face that many times without causing problems. Concentrate on WTG, WTG and then XTG for a while. That should allow your skin some time to heal and also give you a chance to develop your technique without beating up on your face. Whilst you may find some stray whiskers on your face after you have shaved... no-one else (apart from maybe your wife) will notice at all. First rule of shaving for me is "comfort".

Are you stretching your skin at all during the shave? By tilting your head or pulling up or down on your skin, it is possible to make the area being shaved somewhat flatter and that is a big help (one of the reasons that the cheeks are so easy to shave).

This says it better than I could. Excellent advice. Oh, and be sure to try cold water shaving.

Good luck.

Holy Smokes!!! Kudos on your endourance... I would have tossed everything by now!!

First of all welcome to B&B!!

Looks like you need to rethink your options... the tips above are a good starting point. Especially the part of skipping passes 4,5 and 6. I know my skin couldn't handle that ordeal...

Here is what I had to do to get more comfortable shaves, maybe something will work for you...

I have very sensitive skin in the neck area and the stubble grows in about every direction you can think of... that was the most important lesson learned!! Figure out what areas are truely WTG when going from top to bottom... I have some areas that are basically already XTG when going North-South and others would be ATG!!!

That you really need to figure out!! Then adjust your first and second pass accordingly...

First Pass with me is WTG to XTG and my second pass is XTG to ATG... then I only do spot pick up on some of the rougher spots. When doing the pick ups I do a PaulH Double Chin... oddly enough the stubble retracts some and it feels smooth. If I stretch the skin at that point I would still feel some stubble ATG but... I would be going to deep into the skin... and it hurts and bleeds!!!

I always rinse with cold water between passes btw... that helps!!!

Light pressure and oddly enough a sharp blade is what I need... got some seriously tough stubble and with anything else I was overcompensating with pressure and more passes. Something like a Voshkod, Polsilver, Nacet, 7 O'Clock Yellow or any other blade that has a sharper rating should do better because you can more or less "tickle" along and it cuts well. That should pair just nicely with the EJ89... or give a more aggressive razor a go and see if you can keep the passes and pressure to a minimum...

You're trying to hard I think!! Stop chasing the BBS shave for now. Get comfortable with a one or two pass shave to look socially acceptable. Figure out how you get a decent result on your first two passes. Then once it clicks, you're on the best way to enjoy the shave. Your killing yourself here... take it easy!! Its not a BBS competition:001_smile

I hope that helps a bit... good luck for the next shave!!!

Last edited:
New to DE shaving with super sensitive skin here, and my advice for soaps/creams is absolutely no fragrance or menthol. I was using T&H ultimate comfort cream which has no fragrance but does have lavender oil and after a month even that stuff it started to irritate my skin. I'm now using TOBS organic with great results.

Have you tried a feather blade yet ?

Top Bottom