What's new

Starter kit

Hi all

Got my first DE kit:

Edwin Jagger DE86, came with Feather blades
Omega 49 boar brush
Proraso soap
Vichy Idealizer aftershave (no reason, just had a nice discount for this one)
Plus some testers from EJ...

First feelings:
The razor is super easy to use, I almost didn't cut myself during first shaves. It's perfect for a beginner, but I already can't wait to play with something more aggressive...
Brush is boar, but Omega was really easy to start using and got rather soft very quickly. I bought it mainly for the price and recommendations, and I'm not disappointed.
Proraso is definetely nice as a must-have on the shelf, but the smell is a bit too soapy rather than menthol or eucaliptus. Not so exciting.
Vichy aftershave: just an aftershave gel, rather delicate but I feel like it does not moisturize my skin enough: I have to put a lot of it to be satisfied. The smell is quite standard and not strong.

Next steps:
New blades (I guess I'll go for Gilette Yellow)
New soap, something more particular and of a higher quality.
AS splash, to understand what I prefer better - splash or gel.
Maybe a stand for the razor and a brush - pure aesthetics (but for me wet shaving is mostly aesthetical activity).

Cheers!
$14374562_949149711897115_2001069808_o.jpg

Welcome! Nice setup! Get a few shaves on those feathers, then try a few different blades (check out Astra, Rapira, and Voskhod)! Then some razors... then more soaps... of course aftershaves... Then a straight... some SE razors... maybe a fountain pen...

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Welcome to B&B. Nice setup. Stop in the Hall of Fame and tell us a little about yourself.

Welcome. Try some blade samplers. You can find some on the bay, or tryablade.com There's other sources, and people here will be happy to point you in the right direction. A good way to try a couple of a bunch of different blades until you find your ideal.

Welcome to the world of nostalgia and class. Congrats, and glad to have you. Hope to hear more as you get further down the rabbit hole. Make sure to head by the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself. Also, you're a brave brave man trying Feather blades off the bat. Those are renown for being "biters" because of how sharp they are. Good move going with an EJ to begin with. It's a timeless learner that belongs in all collections. If you want a sharper shave, I'm not sure if you'll be able to find anything sharper, blade wise, than Feather, you'll just have to move to a more aggressive razor than an EJ. Or at least buy a more aggressive head that fits on the EJ handle. Check out the Merkur Futur, or if that's not your style, Rockwell 6s. Two very different razors that both offer mild to aggressive levels shaving all in one razor. Rockwell will run you a little more than the Futur, but you get more material without having to worry about moving parts that could break. The Futur is not known for breaking or anything, just saying that some guys (my self included) are big fans of simplicity, which is why we are here in the first place, and the Rockwell gives more of a simple setup feel with the different static heads, rather than the adjustability of the single head Merkur. Enjoy!

Hello and welcome, Morris. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the HAll of Fame and introduce yourself.

Top Bottom