What's new

What fragrances are you inclined to wear? Part One

What base fragrance do you most wear?

• Floral

• Oriental

• Woody

• Fresh

Results are only viewable after voting.
In an effort to understand what types of fragrances the Badger & Blade members most often wear, I want to start a series of polls. I know there is much debate on the categorization of scent profiles but for the sake of argument we will use a Fragrance Chart that is based off of Michael Edwards Fragrance Wheel developed in 1983. There are four basic scent profiles, which can then be divided into other profiles that fit into the bigger category. This poll will focus on the main parts and then subsequent polls will focus on the finer aspects. Please keep in mind the Perfumes, Colognes, EDTs, and aftershaves when you conduct this poll.

The four main scent profiles are: Floral, Oriental, Woody and Fresh. These can further be divided into finer aspects. Here is the breakdown and definitions:

Floral -

• Floral (Floral + Fresh Notes). Main notes include fresh-cut flowers.
  • Soft Floral (Floral Notes). Main notes include aldehydes and powdery notes.
  • Floral Oriental (Floral + Oriental Notes). Main notes include orange blossom and sweet spices.

Oriental -

• Soft Oriental (Oriental + Floral Notes). Main notes include incense and amber.
  • Oriental (Oriental Notes). Main notes include oriental resins such as frankincense, and vanilla.
  • Woody Oriental (Oriental + Woody Notes). Main notes include sandalwood and patchouli.

Woody -

• Woods Main notes include aromatic woods and vetiver.
  • Mossy Woods (Woody + Oriental Notes). Main notes include oakmoss and amber.
  • Dry Woods (Woody Notes). Main notes include dry woods and leather.
  • Aromatic Fougère (Fresh Notes). Main notes include lavender and aromatic herbs. This universal fragrance family includes elements from different families: the freshness from the Citrus family, floral notes of lavender, the spicy-sweetness of a Floral Oriental, the ambery depth of an Oriental and the Mossy Woods warmth of sandalwood and oakmoss.

Fresh -

• Citrus (Woody + Fresh Notes). Main notes include bergamot and other citrus oils.
  • Fruity (Fresh + Floral Notes). Main notes include berries and other non-citrus fruits.
  • Green (Fresh + Floral Notes). Main notes include galbanum and green notes.
  • Water (Fresh + Floral Notes). Main notes include marine and aquatic notes, generally from the chemical calone.

So...what scent do you prefer?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Fougeres. Fresh Fougeres, woody Fougeres, oriental Fougeres.

Gimme oakmoss, treemoss, lavender, coumarin and what-have-you.

Brut, Paco Rabanne, Drakkar, Tabac, Clubman and Azzaro pour homme ...

Work up with a cat on my chest the other night. "Strong animalic note," I thought to myself. "In combination with tuna breath and bentonite clay, a genuine feline accord."

AA

Last edited:
A lot of great responses and a lot of votes. I'm glad to see both. I myself run between the Oriental and the Woody with more of a hankering toward the Oriental. I will say, however, especially during the warmer months that I often wear a bit in the Fresh department.

I am going to let this run for a few more days and then I will do part 2 of this series of polls and break each section down. I want to see what it is in each section the folks of B&B like best.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Oriental with at least some vanilla in the dry down makes me happy. I like woody as well.

My wife likes citrus and I do have a few I enjoy, but not quite as much. I do find myself reaching for my City on Fire sample a lot lately, although that doesn't seem to fit neatly in my group. Interesting stuff.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme, Rive Gauche, Grey Vetiver, Diptyque Oud Palao, Green Irish Tweed, Tom Ford London, Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme Original Sticker Bottle. I'm sure I am forgetting some but these come to mind right now.

Mostly Aromatic Fougères, Chypres, and Leathers (which some categorize as Chypres) for me.
My favorite notes are lavender, violet, carnation, rose, bergamot, oakmoss, galbanum, patchouli, sandalwood, leather, tobacco, and incense.

Not really into Frags, but I have been enjoying some cheap aftershaves since I started hanging around this place. I'm not good with notes or categorizing scents, but my favorites are Avon Spicy (Old Spice Clone), Avon Deep Woods, Aqua Velva Ice Blue, and Skin Bracer. I don't care for Brut, or Aqua Velva Musk.

All right...I have 50 votes. Not surprising more than half of you prefer wood scents over the others. Going forward I will break down each fragrance section. Later today or tomorrow I will get part two up...a breakdown of the floral scents. Thanks to all who participated.

Top Bottom