What's new

My Canned Goo vs. Soap Experiment

On shaving communities there is a lot of hatred towards modern shaving creams. Hence the negative name canned goo. During my experimentation with DE I tried different combinations, shaving soap + DE, canned goo + DE, shaving soap + cartridge, canned goo + cartridge.

The skin feeling from most irritation to least irritation were:
1.Shaving soap + DE
2. Canned goo + DE
3. Shaving soap + cart
4. Canned goo + cart

Some observations:
1. Whenever I use shaving soap I feel like I can feel the blade against my skin more than if I was using canned goo. It doesn't necessarily cause problems, but I just feel the blade more during the shave. If I used canned goo I don't really feel the blade.

2. Whenever I use canned goo I feel there is a little bit less resistance to cutting the hairs. It seems like the hairs are cut easier using the canned goo.

I don't really understand the hatred. It seems to work better for me! Did anyone experience anything similar or am I a freak of nature?

Tallow soap didn't dry out my face, but Proraso dries out my face just like canned goo...

Where do the advantages of traditional shaving soap come in?

I never liked canned gel because by the time I finished shaving one side of my face, the other side would already be dried out. I find that soaps provide more slickness and they give me much thicker, creamier lathers. Soaps really excel in terms of post-shave feel because they often have moisturizers or skin conditioners like shea butter that leave my skin feeling incredible after a shave.

I don't have any hatred for the canned stuff but I'm glad that someone introduced me to shaving soap. As a plus, I love buying from artisans and small business, especially since they're quality products made in small batches with attention to detail. The scents also add tremendously to my enjoyment.

Canned stuff is still great for traveling or when I'm in a rush. I doubt anyone here vehemently detests canned goo - if I speak negatively of it, it's probably only because I feel like I was a victim of marketing, using a product for all these years when there are better alternatives out there, even if only marginally so.

For most of us is slicker and offer better protection.

But that does not apply to all shaving soaps, as there are plenty of bad ones, and also, does not apply if you are not applying it right. If it's too dry, or if it's too wet, it won't offer the same protection and glide, so you might be better off with canned foam in these cases.

And it's also the human error that can be taken into consideration. Not all DE razors are the same and not all users use the properly. There's a learning curve with them, and, as in the case of the soap, some razors can work better for some people than others.

I am getting better results with DE than with a cartridge, simply because I can go ATG with DE without getting irritation, while I can't do the same thing with Mach 3. The result is a closer shave with DE razor, and also a more comfortable one. If you are having better results with a cartridge razor, by all means, use whatever is working for you.

I would be interested to hear how much experience you have at making lather with a brush and shaving with a DE. There is indeed a learning curve. Not doubting what you post, but many of us started (or re-started) with DE razors because of the poor results and inherent irritation and ingrown hairs which were part of cartridge razor shaving.

After all the yrs using can shaving soap, gives me breakout. For three yrs now, using good brand shaving soap such as B&M with the right razor and razor blade gives me very close shave without flare up and great post shave results.
Everyone are different so what works best and dail in to make ya happy. Oh yes, there is a cost saving using old fashion shaving over the modern shaving.

On shaving communities there is a lot of hatred towards modern shaving creams. Hence the negative name canned goo. During my experimentation with DE I tried different combinations, shaving soap + DE, canned goo + DE, shaving soap + cartridge, canned goo + cartridge.

The skin feeling from most irritation to least irritation were:
1.Shaving soap + DE
2. Canned goo + DE
3. Shaving soap + cart
4. Canned goo + cart

Some observations:
1. Whenever I use shaving soap I feel like I can feel the blade against my skin more than if I was using canned goo. It doesn't necessarily cause problems, but I just feel the blade more during the shave. If I used canned goo I don't really feel the blade.

2. Whenever I use canned goo I feel there is a little bit less resistance to cutting the hairs. It seems like the hairs are cut easier using the canned goo.

I don't really understand the hatred. It seems to work better for me! Did anyone experience anything similar or am I a freak of nature?

Tallow soap didn't dry out my face, but Proraso dries out my face just like canned goo...

good experiment.
you might want to experiment with and without preshave soap or oil.

and i never disparage canned foam or cartridges, still get nice shaves with them!

$foam and cart.jpg

I don't hate them. I personally enjoy them. Proraso Red in a can and I have gone back to cartridge razors. I still have my DE and soap but rarely gets used.

I have been DE shaving for more than 7 years now, and I shave every day. I have gotten to the point where I have chosen soaps I know work well, and I am building great lathers consistently. My shave soap lathers are a lot better than canned foams, and somewhat better than canned gels. They are more moisturizing, they give a much better face feel after the shave (make my face softer), make for a slicker lather, and provide just as much protection. So I have no need to use pre-made products for lather. In addition, I enjoy lathering.

Every now and then I'll get a free sample of canned foam or gel (travel size), so I'll attempt to use it. I always regret it. It's lacking everything. Not slick enough, not enough cushion, and smells terrible. The only thing it is, is convenient. But even if I'm in a hurry, there's always time for a few swirls on a soap puck.

Well, it is whatever works best for you.

That said, after wet shaving for over 4 decades I get better results with a good soap, brush and a DE or straight razor. I will not go back to canned goo and the only time I use a cartridge razor now is when I travel by air. For travel I use a shave stick.

Bob

I enjoy the process of de shaving and it gives me much better shaves. I enjoy building the lather, choosing the brush, choosing the blade and choosing the razor. I have the time to do this. If I was still working I could see where I might be tempted to take shortcuts to save time but then it would just be shaving not the art that I view it as now.

I enjoy the process of de shaving and it gives me much better shaves. I enjoy building the lather, choosing the brush, choosing the blade and choosing the razor. I have the time to do this. If I was still working I could see where I might be tempted to take shortcuts to save time but then it would just be shaving not the art that I view it as now.
this x1000. (Except I still work). It is the process, the enjoyment I get from what is basically a chore. I look forward to it.

My Doro cart razor, is fantastic, however my skin is 100% better with the new soaps.

this x1000. (Except I still work). It is the process, the enjoyment I get from what is basically a chore. I look forward to it.

My Doro cart razor, is fantastic, however my skin is 100% better with the new soaps.
+1. I'm with you guys. I no longer consider shaving a chore. I like the blade choices, the various soap scents and soap options. The canned goo is ok, I really didn't have any complaints about. I mostly DE shave, but also like the adventure of a straight every now and again when I have time (the stropping and prep, the frontier manly arts, etc).

It really only matters what works for you...I'm just surprised at your results because it is pretty much the exact opposite for most guys here. I also found that canned creams are better than canned gels. I love me some Colgate or Barbasol on occasion.

Top Bottom