What's new

Creepy Clowns

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
They say that the only to kill a clown is to beat him to death with a mime. Clowns don't scare me, but mimes should be done away with.

They say that the only to kill a clown is to beat him to death with a mime. Clowns don't scare me, but mimes should be done away with.

I don't think I've ever seen a classic Mime. What are your feelings on living statues?

proxy.php

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
There was a kid just arrested no
t too far from me for dressing up as a clown and brandishing a gun. He was tapping on people's windows with it. It was an air soft gun. He removed the orange tip off it. He's lucky he didn't get shot.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
[MENTION=110569]Catalinbread[/MENTION] I think living statues are seriously creepy. I often wish for a flock of living pigeons to dive bomb them.

t too far from me for dressing up as a clown and brandishing a gun. He was tapping on people's windows with it. It was an air soft gun. He removed the orange tip off it. He's lucky he didn't get shot.

Our city police have released a statement warning of such. They are following kids in school zones and looking in peoples windows.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Clowns creep me out. If he did that to me I'd scream like a little girl, then, if I happened to be carrying, I'd probably try to put one in his forehead. Then go to jail for life just because I'm jumpy, lol!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ah, yes- the Clownopacolypse! Manifesting here in the south, too.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space was a rockin' 80s movie- recommend it.

AA

KeenDogg

Clowns creep me out. If he did that to me I'd scream like a little girl, then, if I happened to be carrying, I'd probably try to put one in his forehead. Then go to jail for life just because I'm jumpy, lol!
I'm a tad jumpy myself.

KeenDogg

Ah, yes- the Clownopacolypse! Manifesting here in the south, too.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space was a rockin' 80s movie- recommend it.

AA
They used ALL the budget money on costumes, for sure! My favorite parts were the clowns laughs and the cotton candy cocoons! I am guilty. I own a copy

Adam

My brother-in-law used to do amateur clowning for parades and children's hospital wards and such. He said that all clown "personas" had to be registered with the city police, as part of their background check. If you came up with a different costume or persona, that one had to be registered too.

Clowns have always been a bit creepy. I think it's the forced smile. Or maybe how many of them fit in small cars. Creepy.

It's because even though they're real humans, they're sort of in the "uncanny valley".

From wikipedia:
In aesthetics, the uncanny valley is the hypothesis that human replicas that appear almost but not exactly like real human beings elicit feelings of eeriness and revulsion among some observers.Valley denotes a dip in the human observer's affinity for the replica, a relation that otherwise increases with the replica's human likeness. Examples can be found in robotics, 3D computer animations, and life-like dolls among others.
[. . . snip . . .]
Hypothesis
[Masahiro Mori's] original hypothesis states that as the appearance of a robot is made more human, some observers' emotional response to the robot will become increasingly positive and empathic, until a point is reached beyond which the response quickly becomes that of strong revulsion. However, as the robot's appearance continues to become less distinguishable from that of a human being, the emotional response becomes positive once again and approaches human-to-human empathy levels.
This area of repulsive response aroused by a robot with appearance and motion between a "barely human" and "fully human" entity is called the uncanny valley. The name captures the idea that an almost human-looking robot will seem overly "strange" to some human beings, will produce a feeling of uncanniness, and will thus fail to evoke the empathic response required for productive human-robot interaction.
proxy.php
With the white makeup and blood-coloured lips, that puts them down there with corpses and zombies.

Also, evil clowns have pointy ends on their lips, like The Joker (intentionally creepy),
$jack-nicholson-joker.jpg
and serial killer John Wayne Gacey's "Pogo" (not intentional):
$hqdefault.jpg
Dear God, what was he thinking with that look?

Friendly clowns have rounded lips. Bozo:
$bozo-the-clown2.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm a tad jumpy myself.
I REALLY am! Ask my son. His idea of a good time is to hide in the dark and step out and say,"hello" or something equally weird. I then jump and put my head through the drywall, cuss on the way down, get yelled at by my wife for swearing, slug my only child wherever my fist lands, all in the space of 1.4 seconds. I tell my son all the time that he has a stupid hobby but he never listens..... Maybe I should buy him a clown suit and make him join the circus, the brat.

SWMBO has been talking about the creepy clowns for a week now. I guess there have been reports in our area too. Frankly, it just makes me want to get a clown costume...

Top Bottom