What's new

how do you cook tortillas

I have seen everything from microwave to dragging a tortilla across a red hot burner. Mostly I heat mine up in a cast iron skillet with a few drops of oil, what is your method

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If I'm making the tortilla from the raw masa dough, then it's on a hot, dry griddle. If I'm using tortillas that have already been made, and I'm making tacos or burritos, I heat them more on the same, hot, dry griddle. If I'm making enchiladas with those tortillas that have been made, then I fry them for a few moments in just enough oil to cover them (like BSAGuy does, above). For chips, I cut up tortillas that have been made and deep fry them at 350F for a couple minutes or so.

No matter what, the initial cooking (i.e., turning dough into tortilla) is dry.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I like to heat my cast iron pan to super hot, throw one in, hit it with a spritz of non-stick olive oil spray, flip and repeat. I like a little toastiness to it. It helps keep your innards from falling out.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I usually make them using masa + water = Tortilla. Hot cast iron (with a bit of oil) and voilà

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My wife has a cast iron tortilla warmer that was her grandmothers. I have been with her for 23 years, and it was old then. It is perfectly seasoned, and the only time it isn't on the rear burner is during thanksgiving dinner prep.

on edit: flour tortillas go on dry, corn get a touch of oil.

Last edited:
dry on cast iron, or set over a gas flame for several seconds per side until a few black specks start showing.

Top Bottom