What's new

Badger brush that i bought recently has mildew/mold growing on it. What should I do?

I bought a Kent BK4 Silvertip badger brush about a month ago. It is the first badger brush I've owned. The brush comes with a red leather travel case. I noticed that the brush still had that wet animal fur smell after a month of using it and I wasn't sure why. I checked the case and it has mold growing in it. It looks like white candy floss with little black dots embedded in it. I've already put the case in the trash and I'm wondering if there is any way for me to save the brush. Should I throw away the brush as well? Right now I am more concerned about getting sick from the mold than anything else. Is this a common issue with badger brushes? I had an omega boar before and never had any issues with mold.

I'd just wash it with dish soap and warm water.

Would be my suggestion.

It sounds as if you have been putting the brush back in the case when it was still damp. That is a no-no. If you are using the brush daily, it will need to stay out somewhere in order to air dry.

Using a Badger or a boar brush daily is not the best thing to do IMO. I allow my Badger & boar brushes to dry for at least 3 days before reuse & no problem with mold noted. I have a couple synthetics to use in between the drying cycle.

You need more drying time. After use, place it on a southerly facing window sill for some good sun exposure.

Let it dry in a brush stand, bristles down, in a dry place for at least 2 full days. Your bathroom might be too humid for it to dry completely.

Also, make sure you have cleaned out any soap and squeezed or shaken out the water before you hang it to dry. I found my large silvertip absorbs water and takes longer to dry than my cheaper smaller brushes. So I shake/flick it in the shower to get water out before hanging it on my stand.

Clean the brush and allow it to dry, thoroughly, then consider investing in an inexpensive boar or synthetic brush to allow the Kent to dry completely between shaves.
Good luck.

Do not get rid of your brush. A good cleaning will make it as good as new. I clean a brush as follows. First, I wet the brush under warm water. I then take some dishwashing soap such as Dawn and add a few drops to the brush. I rub the soap into the brush and rinse it out. Next, in a cup I make a solution of one to two ounces of white vinegar, a few drops of liquid glycerin (this is optional - it just seems to help the solution a bit), and warm water. I stir the mixture and then put the brush in the solution using a gentle pumping motion. I let the brush stay in the solution for about 15 minutes, take the brush out, rinse under warm water and let it dry.

As others have said above, let any brush air dry in the open before putting it away. If you have only one brush and want it to dry faster, take a hair dryer and use cool air to dry it.

Would be my suggestion.

It sounds as if you have been putting the brush back in the case when it was still damp. That is a no-no. If you are using the brush daily, it will need to stay out somewhere in order to air dry.

This.... Maybe dip it in boiling water. I've done it and not lost any finish on my brush

Please, stop boiling your brushes, and stop recommending others to do so. Thanks! :mad3:

I agree with you about recommending boiling a brush. Its not recommended. You can ruin a brush by doing so.

I would recommend a vinegar/water solution and plenty of dry time.

As others have recommended, soak and clean it with dish soap and then hang it in a stand upside down to dry. Then let it rest for a week or so. Maybe wash it again and dry thoroughly. Don't use it every day. Rotate your brushes so they dry completely after each use. That way mold won't have a chance to grow and you get some variety in your shave routine. I run through a mix of 4 badgers, 2 boars and 2 synthetics. You don't have to spend a lot. A really good Omega boar can be had for $11 and a good Razorock Plissoft synthetic can be had for $10. Happy hunting.

Top Bottom