What's new

Merkur HD slant too agressive for me

I have the Merkur HD 89C slant. My skin is irritated too much when using sharp blades like feather blades. I am looking for a razor that has a smaller gap. My Merkur is just too agressive for me. Does anyone have any ideas? When I use blades that are not as sharp, Astra Superior Platinum for example, the blade pulls too much on my beard.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
I personally find Persona Lab Blues are a delight in my Merkur Slant.

I would experiment with different brands of blades, until you find the perfect match. Also maybe try a different and thicker lather for a little more cushion?

The Merkur slant is not super aggressive. On a scale of 10 with 5 being average I would rate the Merkur HD as a 5 or 6, and I would rate it's crooked brother as a 6 or 7. I find the differences between the Slant and the HD to be small. Both are outstanding razors.

Last edited:
For me the Merkur Slant is already one of the mildest slants out there. So I think it might be a lack of technique/ wrong blade. I found the Iridium Polsilver to be sharp(not as sharp as the Feather) and mild, but clearly YMMV!

There's much more in play than gap when to comes to aggression but that's its own thread.. The merkur slant has a different angle than the hd. Try some kai or polsilver or gillette blue in it. Feathers are a ridiculously rough blade sharpness aside.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I find that a mild razor (like a tech) is fantastic with a Feather blade. A razor like the slant works better with a blade that's more average like Derby.

I'm having a feeling that you don't have the best angle for that razor figured out yet. Try a more shallow angle and see how that works for you. Feathers can be pretty harsh sometimes.

I suggest you try some different blades before giving up on the razor.

For me any new razor means that I must revisit my blade choice. My experience is that sharp blades work best in mild/ moderate razors and vice versa. Combining an aggressive razor with one or the sharpest blades would not work for me.

As others have said, try some different blades in your slant razor. I use Lord, Personna Labs and Medical Prep blades, and Personna Reds with my slant razors.

BTW, I assume you are talking about the 39c razor.

I'm having a feeling that you don't have the best angle for that razor figured out yet. Try a more shallow angle and see how that works for you. Feathers can be pretty harsh sometimes.

What is a more shallow angle? The handle of the razor next to the face, or further away?

Bob

I personally find Persona Lab Blues are a delight in my Merkur Slant.

I would experiment with different brands of blades, until you find the perfect match. Also maybe try a different and thicker lather for a little more cushion?

The Merkur slant is not super aggressive. On a scale of 10 with 5 being average I would rate the Merkur HD as a 5 or 6, and I would rate it's crooked brother as a 6 or 7. I find the differences between the Slant and the HD to be small. Both are outstanding razors.

I think this rating is exactly right.

I have a different slant and it took a couple blades to dial in. The polsilver works well for me where a derby or crystal didn't. The Asta sp also was nice. Watch your pressure.

Go with an astra sample and more importantly adjust your technique. I have the Stirling Factory Seconds Slant (patterned after the Merkur 37c [Dame head as the 39c]) and it's very mild! Watch your technique and go lighter on the hand.

Top Bottom