What's new

New Guy from Porter Ranch, California checking in and saying hi.

Hello to all from Sunny and Hot Southern California.
If anyone has any advice on how to determine which way the grain flows on a beard, I'd be most appreciative. I keep rubbing my hand across my face but everything seems to run in different directions. It makes shaving with the grain a real problem for someone with extremely sensitive skin.
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Hello to all from Sunny and Hot Southern California.
If anyone has any advice on how to determine which way the grain flows on a beard, I'd be most appreciative. I keep rubbing my hand across my face but everything seems to run in different directions. It makes shaving with the grain a real problem for someone with extremely sensitive skin.
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Your grain might just flow in a bunch of different directions!

If work/wife will allow it, try to let your beard grow for a couple of days. It becomes much more apparent which way your grain goes in different areas when you can see the individual hairs.

Thank you for the suggestion. After I let my beard grow, if it truly is running all over the place, where do I start?

Try to break your beard down into sections and plot out where the grain is in each section. If you find that the sections are too small for your razor, you are just going to have to be careful. There is nothing wrong with shaving against the grain for your first pass, it is just harder. I have a little patch by my Adam's apple that grows straight sideways. I have never been able to shave it with the grain because it just doesn't work with my neck/razor. I still get great shaves, I just have to be more careful there.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Welcome to B&B from another Cali native! I have the same problem as [MENTION=67261]Parjay[/MENTION]. I just exercise a little more caution around my adams apple as it runs in three different directions. Usually by the second pass it's at a SAS or better.

~ When in doubt...Post it in
Badger&Blade ~

Welcome to B&B.

I have the same problem with my beard. My beard, particularly on my neck, grows in many different directions and in some places swirls. Accordingly, WTG and ATG are meaningless to me. It would be practically impossible for me to do a WTG shave on my neck since I would be changing the razor direction every two inches. So, what I do is to pick the way a majority of my beard grows and that becomes my WTG or first pass. The opposite becomes my ATG or final pass and the two other directions become my XTG or second or third passes. To get all my whiskers I have to do a four pass shave. Because part of the first pass is XTG and ATG it is essential that I use a very light touch and watch the angle.

They key to success is keeping a very light touch and using the correct angle. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you. For information about blade angle, look here in the wiki.

Welcome aboard! Some good suggestions above. In addition, check some of the threads on beard mapping.

Top Bottom