What's new

What does this usually mean? (Work related)

I think I know what it means, but I thought I would ask anyhow.
Basically, we have been told that experienced people were going to be weeded out, all the while complaining that production and quality has fallen.
So, what sense does it make to complain about quality and performance, and at the same time saying they want to get rid of experience and hire clueless people?
When I first started this job, almost all new hires made it, now, about 70% wash out, and maybe half of the 30% that make it get fired for messing up too much after about 6 months.
Oh, this is a factory/production job, if it matters.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It don't matter, lol! I'm a nurse. RN. Got weeded out after doing the work of 2 nurses for over 3 months. Replaced me with 2 LPN's immediately. But karma's a kick in the pants: that place now has a horrible reputation, and I have the best job I've ever had!!!

Were you told this officially, or just heard it through the rumour mill? Sounds like there are two different agendas at work, two groups making decisions but not coordinating their strategy.

Sounds like a place I used to work at. I was one of the higher paid experienced ones that got laid off. Best thing to ever happen to me! My health, mood, and outlook on life improved 1000 fold within 24 hours.

I agree with what others have said. It sounds like management created a bad work environment by trying to cut costs in bad ways.

Like above, polish the old resume. But from experience, things like this usually happen when there's too many unnecessary middle men, and their usually first to go.

Sounds like a place I used to work at. I was one of the higher paid experienced ones that got laid off. Best thing to ever happen to me! My health, mood, and outlook on life improved 1000 fold within 24 hours.
+1 ... the reason they go after the senior employees is because they are the highest paid among the whole staff. Get rid of them and replace them with a rookie who might be working for half the hourly rate.

It happened to me on a previous job.
Its happening to me now on my present one.

Luckily I'm fully vested and qualified for the retirement plan.
I can pull that plug anytime I want to.

I'm ready.
My checkbook isn't.

It means the bean counters are trying to cut expenses by eliminating the most expensive personnel. Too often bean counters think employees are cookie cutters and have no concept that experience goes out of the door with the older employees. It also means that older employees can offer their services as consultants when things don't work out as planned.

I have seen this happen twice in the same company, and it may be happening at my place of employment.

Top Bottom