What's new

Feather Artist SS Vs Real Straight

Gentlemen, I am neither a Shavette nor Straight Razor user, but I like looking around what other folks are using and I have gotten curious how the Feather Artist SS compared to a real straight razor?
I've read that the design of the Feather SS (different to all the other shavettes) comes very close to a straight but is that true?

compared to other shavette systems, absolutely. it is pretty close. Feather type systems (Kai and CBJ too, but I haven't used them) are even more unforgiving of poor technique than straights.

to get a cut/weeper free shave with one requires even less pressure, good angles, and no slips.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
The Feather will provide (IMHO) the ultimate straight shave. Maybe too sharp for some. Maybe not forgiving enough. Lots of other things that some may not enjoy in shaving. For me, I want the sharpest, straightest edge that I can get and I judge my traditional straight razor edges against a Feather.

The Feather AC system is the second closest to a real straight without the honing and stropping, etc. The closest is the ones that take the Weck blades. Both are not as forgiving as a straight, as mentioned above, however as in all razors, the blade should be respected and you should go slow at first until you build your technique. this can be said for DE and SE as well. If you're a half hour late because you overslept, you pick up a cartridge razor and not one of these. Once you get to know the Feather (or Weck), you will never get a bad shave.

An actual straight razor somehow seems to know the difference between stubble and skin. The shavette razors are a bit sharper and will cut anything in their path.

I prefer a straight razor but it sure is nice to trade all of that blade maintenance for just the simple task of switching a replaceable blade.

I started with a CJB (which takes Feather Pro blades) and got used to that before trying a straight razor. It just takes practice and patience. You're going to get a few cuts with either one starting out but, unless you do something incredibly careless and stupid, it's no different from a small cut that you'd get from a de razor. Just take your time and watch a lot of videos to see what others that are more experienced are doing. Start with just your cheeks and once you get that down work on learning how to get the other parts of your face.

Used feather artist club, straight razor, and also a SE razor with a feather artist club blade. As said before, feather is sharp. Definitely less forgiving that a SR, but if you go very lightly it will give a fantastic shave. The best description is that it's all about stubble reduction on the passes vs elimination with one pass and stragglers with rest of passes

You can always start off with a pro guard blade, that will help but not eliminate weepers.

i thoroughly enjoy my feather and kai's, mostly use them with Feather Proguards.
these shavettes, IMHO, seem more forgiving than my straights.
maybe due to my use of the Proguards. Or perhaps due to the slight lip over the exposed edge.
in any case, the blades are amazingly sharp and hold an edge for many shaves.

$feather proguard-4990-Edit.jpg

I love my Feather SS kamisori. I have a hard time keeping straight razors sharp enough to cut down my whiskers ATG without irritation (I have very sensitive skin), but that's no problem with Feather Pro Supers. They pop the hairs off almost as soon as you touch them, and all it takes is the lightest touch to keep the blade in contact with your skin. It is 100% less forgiving than a real straight with regards to nicks and cuts, but once you figure out the angle, it's not too bad.

My SOTD today. :)

proxy.php

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you have never used a straight before any which one you choose will give you cold sweats the first time you attempt your shave. It's actually pretty exciting and just by attempting it IMO validates your man card for life :lol:

My opinion is that a shavette makes it much easier to learn to straight shave since it will always have a shave ready edge on it. Conversely because it always is in that state it encourages habits that would absolutely decimate the edge on a conventional straight. Habits such as high blade angles etc. Variety is the spice of life and I believe everyone who straight shaves has tried both systems at least once.

Choose one and get to shavin'! :)

I prefer my regular straights over the Feather. For beginners, however, there is one clear advantage the Feather has: you can remove the blade and practice figuring out shaving angles and such much more easily/safely. It's a great razor, imo.

I recieved a TI straight in the mail yesterday. Before I hone a new razor, I will clean, strop and shave to see where the edge is. This one was sadly lacking, so instead of going downstairs to get another straight and strop it mid-shave, I just reached over and grabbed my Feather RG and completed the shave. Excellent shave.

I own a KAI Captan, Feather SS DX folder and the same razor in Kamisori style. All are excellent. Whilst in the den shaving, I prefer the standard western or Kamisori straight. I enjoy honing them and seeing how far I can optimize the edge. The maintenance has become part of the experience that I enjoy. But if I am rushed or traveling, the Feather SS or KAI Captain always gets the nod. I have gotten exceptional shaves with them.

I have a feather DX, a Weck and several straights. The feather DX provides me with the closest shave, albeit very unforgiving. I use original Weck blades and strop them, but the blades, while wider and more straight like, are not as sharp as the feathers. The straights require better technique beyond the zero pressure requirements of the shavettes. Rotated in conjunction with my aggressive DEs, I enjoy the variety.

Top Bottom