What's new

Hey New Member here. Shave help!

Hey I just joined the forums this month-
I can get a very close shave on my face with two WTG passes but my neck is too sensitive for more than one pass!
I feel that it is a little strange to have a close shave on face but some stubble on neck.
Any advice?

Thanks!

What Im working with:
Wet Shaving for one year
Tabac
Gillette Super Speed
Personna Blue (fresh blade per shave)
I shave every third day

You may be having a problem with your technique.

Putting too much pressure on your razor will result in cuts, nicks, and irritation. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I find that using the correct grip can make a big difference. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can so that it stays on your face and without it falling from your hand. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you.

Finally, look here for blade angle.

Putting too much pressure on your razor will result in cuts, nicks, and irritation. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I find that using the correct grip can make a big difference. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can so that it stays on your face and without it falling from your hand. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you.

Perfect answer [emoji651]

Sometimes it takes a while to learn the right technique.

Ok great advice, I'll work on that. Do you guys recommend stretching the skin more flat or pulling the skin around the Adam's apple to an easier spot?

Also, check your growth pattern on the neck. You make assumptions on which way with the grain and against the grain is, and on the neck you can be in for a few surprises. On the lower third of my neck, around the Adam's Apple and up towards the ears, WTG is an up stroke with the razor. ATG is down. Sounds strange, but it's true. I think a lot of folks have a weird growth pattern on their neck, with whiskers going every direction. Run your fingers carefully over your neck and really study which way the whiskers go. My shaves improved dramatically after I learned this.

Don

Also, check your growth pattern on the neck. You make assumptions on which way with the grain and against the grain is, and on the neck you can be in for a few surprises. On the lower third of my neck, around the Adam's Apple and up towards the ears, WTG is an up stroke with the razor. ATG is down. Sounds strange, but it's true. I think a lot of folks have a weird growth pattern on their neck, with whiskers going every direction. Run your fingers carefully over your neck and really study which way the whiskers go. My shaves improved dramatically after I learned this.

Don

I know I do. East to west is actually against the grain on the lower part of my neck. South to north on the upper part.

The neck, and under the jawline, is tough to get to.
Try re-mapping your beard. You may have change of growth direction along strange part lines.
Light touch. Handle the razor by the end of the tip, ensuing you are guiding it and not pushing it.
Perhaps use light blade buffing over select areas instead of full passes.

Ok great advice, I'll work on that. Do you guys recommend stretching the skin more flat or pulling the skin around the Adam's apple to an easier spot?
The left side of my neck, and an inch long "battlescar" from a Fatip Grande when I was developing my technique just right of centre on my Adam's apple are my trouble spots.
I pull and stretch the skin around the Adam's apple SE and SW and stretch the skin as tight and flat as possible everywhere else.
It isn't 100% foolproof, but it helps and I get a DFS every time - besides at 46 I think my days of getting a BBS every time are long gone !!

I just move my head so that the skin is stretched a bit flat. Whatever you do don't press the razor down on to the skin and never never give in to the temptation to go quickly over "that bit that needs just a touch more work" without first wetting and lathering it. Take it easy using short strokes and no pressure. You may find that 3 or 4 WTG passes is the best option for you.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Plenty of good tips above.

[MENTION=112253]Firebird1993[/MENTION] Welcome to Badger & Blade! We are happy you found us. When talking about shaving your neck, there us definitely a learning curve. It will take a little practice, but you will get there. Also, remember that what you see in the mirror as stubble others probably won't notice. So when you are tempted to "dig" in and get those stray whiskers...don't! Good luck and welcome to Badger & Blade.

:thumbup1:

Welcome!

In in answer to your question: There is no requirement that you do multiple passes. Most likely the issue is either too much pressure or poor razor angle. Best bet is to read through the wiki. Keep at it and you will get there!

I noticed the tongue in cheek 'rank' on my forum posts is M3 remission. I think M3 is at least better than fusion right??? :thumbup1:

Top Bottom