What's new

I won a Proraso Red PIF. Here are my impressions

A couple of weeks ago I won a PIF, generously provided by [MENTION=111353]Chango[/MENTION], for a tub of Proraso Red shaving soap. I have been using it for a week now and it is definitely a keeper. I have mostly face lathered with it, with one bowl lather. Here are my impressions:

The soap itself is semi-soft and comes in a bright red 150ml tub that is barely large enough to hold the puck. The tub is the only thing that I do not like about the product. It’s very flimsy and there is almost no room to load the brush in the tub without making a mess. I did try using it as a lather bowl the first day with pretty comical results. A slightly larger and heavier plastic bowl would be a big plus. The current bowl, IMO, cheapens a really high quality product.
The soap has a earthy, musky sandalwood scent. I wasn’t sure if I liked it at first, but for me it smells better on my face than in the tub. It has definitely grown on me. For those interested here’s a list of ingredients:

Water, Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Lactic Acid, Fragrance, Shea Butter, Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Pentaeythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Citronellol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Coumarin, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Sandalwood Oil

I used a no name Japanese boar brush with this soap. It loads up on the brush quickly and easily, I soak my brush in hot water while I shower and just shake it out before loading it up. Face lathering is easy. The soap turns into thick, creamy slick lather very quickly and easily. This soap is definitely user friendly. The lather provides good cushioning and is very slick. Using my Van der Hagen razor with Personna Red blades every day, the razor glides across my face. My beard is fast growing and dense, with I would say average coarseness. I was able to get near BBS shaves with two passes every day. (I don’t do ATG) No cuts, nicks or weepers for any shave. It rinses well and leaves my face feeling slippery and smooth.

And that’s the high point of the product. All of the moisturizers, especially the shea butter, leave my face feeling well moisturized and very soft. There was no need for a post shave balm. Also there is little to no sting using aftershave with this product, it offers the face great protection. The moisturizers may be too much in hot and humid weather, the first day I used it was close to 90 degrees with high humidity and my face felt kind of damp all day, but once the heat and humidity dropped it was great. This will be a great winter soap.

Overall this is a winner. I will buy another tub when this is finished and I will transfer it to a mug when I do, so I can mug lather. I’m also going to try the other Proraso soaps. At $10 a tub this soap is a great bargain.

Wait until you try one of the creams! Most people seem to prefer the cream to the soap. I do love the scent of Proraso Red. They did a wonderful job on the product.

Proraso green tub was one of my first soaps that I've finally finished the tub on recently. It's really nice soap. I've tried the red aftershave but not the soap. The AS smells wonderful and I've been pairing it with Art of Shaving sandalwood tallow soap. My next Proraso will be the red cream.

IMHO you can't go wrong with Proraso

I bought Proraso Red, White & Green Soaps as a job lot on eBay and liked all 3
Then I won a job lot of Red, White, Blue & Green Creams at auction on eBay, and like a lot of people I preferred them to the Soaps, so much so that the Soaps fell out of favour for a while, I even used to mix them in a bowl 50/50 with the equivalent Cream as a megalather version of a superlather to use up the Soaps and make the Creams stretch.

Now I've got a Hammered Copper and a slightly smaller but heavier Hammered Brass Shaving Mug from Turkey, I'm switched from a die hard face latherer to a die hard bowl latherer and the Proraso Soaps have taken on a whole new lease of life

If you think face lathering with Proraso Soap is good - just wait 'til you try bowl lathering with it !!

I've had a tub of the Red in inventory for a while. I've been working down other stuff.
I look forward to whenever its turn may finally come up.

Good to hear you enjoyed the soap! Proraso is awesome. I've yet to run into a soap that tears me away from the Green

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Yes, Proraso is a solid choice and a reliable barbershop grade product. Always a winner in my book.

Top Bottom