What's new

Beginner brush

RazoRock Plissoft synthetic .... $ 10.
Way better than any badger or boar at your price point.
Badgers worth buying will cost considerably more than $ 20.
If you must have a boar, the Semogue 610 or 620 is an excellent brush at around your price.
Good Luck !

+1 on the above advise. Also, the Razorock Disruptor 22mm brush is fantastic & is as good as my Badger. The Omega Boar is awesome as well for around 12 Bucks.

Synthetic - Pretty much any Plisson-type brush, Razorock, Stirling, Maggard, Fine.
Boar - Omega, and I would recommend dyed ones, like 11775, 11126, 81052, 11574, 10275. Due to the bleaching/dying process, they are softer and a bit broke in right out of the box, so they can be easier to pick up as a fist brush. They will perform better than the undyed ones on first uses, and they won't have such a bad smell either.

The cheapest good badger brush I know of is the Whipped Dog silvertip, which was $25 when I bought one a few years ago, so I reckon the advice to get a Plissoft synthetic is good if $20 is your absolute limit.

I guess I should have said reasonably priced. I dont mind spending more then $20 just not looking to break the bank.
The cheapest good badger brush I know of is the Whipped Dog silvertip, which was $25 when I bought one a few years ago, so I reckon the advice to get a Plissoft synthetic is good if $20 is your absolute limit.

Synthetic - imo any Plisson type knot and you won't be disappointed. If I knew three years ago what I know now I would only use synthetics. Still enjoy the others from time to time though.

What he said.....I got the monster a few weeks ago and its absolutely fantastic.It came out to be a bit under 20 after shipping.

RazoRock Plissoft synthetic .... $ 10.
Way better than any badger or boar at your price point.
Badgers worth buying will cost considerably more than $ 20.
If you must have a boar, the Semogue 610 or 620 is an excellent brush at around your price.
Good Luck !

Any Plissoft type synthetic. I have the 22 MM from Maggards. It was my first brush and is still my go to brush. $9 I think.

Synthetic. Especially any of the Razorock plissoft brushes. I just got a Maggards synthetic brush. Also nice but not quite as soft as the Razorocks. Also Razorock brushes are around only $10

I have to agree that one of the synthetics mentioned above will suit you best. Don't let the low price fool you. These are great brushes that will make lathering easy. I started with a Semogue boar. I love that brush, but if I had to start over I would get a synthetic. I have two synthetics from Stirling and the ease of using them makes lathering a pleasure. Good luck and welcome.:001_smile

I vote for a Whipped Dog Silvertip Badger brush set at 10mm deeper for some more backbone/ Or ask Larry for his advice & maybe get a High Mountain Badger Brush from Whipped Dog? If you bowl lather or face lather also matters for the right backbone in the brush/ what about how soft the tips/ etc:/ Larry will help you by giveing his personal advise for what your best choice should be. I highly recommend his brushes for they are great & affordable! Plus very fast service & shipping.
Type in: www.WhippedDog.com to see his web site & his name is Larry Andreassen. His personal web:[email protected]

I tried a Plisson synthetic & it was way too soft for me & I gave it away cause it was too hard to lather with for me. Just ask & tell Larry at WD you are a beginner & starting out & he can help alot! His web site is almost self explanatary. (Mis-spelled) He even sells synthetic brushes which are very good for I own one too. He also has Boar brushes.
Happy Shaving & Welcome aboard!
God bless! Scotty

Last edited:
Top Bottom