What's new

What broken bones taught me about shaving.

The weekend before last, I fractured my right distal clavicle and severed a ligament playing soccer. For the true fans out there, we did not win (the worst part about it all). Unfortunately for me, I am right handed and my employer requires me to shave daily. I simply could not lift my right arm past my hip and needed to adjust. So I went to shave using my left hand, which I had never tried before;I almost regret not trying sooner. Not understanding how the shave would feel, I focused on my blade's contact with the utmost intensity. After my first pass, I checked for nicks. Fortunately, I couldn't find the slightest of nicks. I went for my second pass and then a touch up round. A few days before, I had read a post concerning baby powder as the final step. Not wanting to leave anything to chance, I applied rose water witch hazel, my AS, dried my skin and then, with a badger brush, applied the baby powder. The shave could not have been better. My face was smoother than I had anticipated. I was also irritation free, which I found fascinating given the circumstances. Then it hit me. Why were my shaves amazing all week long, with no irritation to speak of? It may have been the baby powder but I credit the success to the technique. I was so concerned with cutting myself with my left hand that I greatly reduced my normal pressure. My pressure was as if I was brushing my pinky finger's nail across my arm hair without touching my skin. What appeared to be a catastrophe waiting to happen, really, became a valuable learning lesson. To everybody new to wet shaving, when the gentlemen that have been around a while say "use little to no pressure", they really mean it. I'm just sad that it took a fractured bone to really understand what they meant.

Cheers!

The weekend before last, I fractured my right distal clavicle and severed a ligament playing soccer. For the true fans out there, we did not win (the worst part about it all). Unfortunately for me, I am right handed and my employer requires me to shave daily. I simply could not lift my right arm past my hip and needed to adjust. So I went to shave using my left hand, which I had never tried before;I almost regret not trying sooner. Not understanding how the shave would feel, I focused on my blade's contact with the utmost intensity. After my first pass, I checked for nicks. Fortunately, I couldn't find the slightest of nicks. I went for my second pass and then a touch up round. A few days before, I had read a post concerning baby powder as the final step. Not wanting to leave anything to chance, I applied rose water witch hazel, my AS, dried my skin and then, with a badger brush, applied the baby powder. The shave could not have been better. My face was smoother than I had anticipated. I was also irritation free, which I found fascinating given the circumstances. Then it hit me. Why were my shaves amazing all week long, with no irritation to speak of? It may have been the baby powder but I credit the success to the technique. I was so concerned with cutting myself with my left hand that I greatly reduced my normal pressure. My pressure was as if I was brushing my pinky finger's nail across my arm hair without touching my skin. What appeared to be a catastrophe waiting to happen, really, became a valuable learning lesson. To everybody new to wet shaving, when the gentlemen that have been around a while say "use little to no pressure", they really mean it. I'm just sad that it took a fractured bone to really understand what they meant.

Cheers!
It should be a rare day when we don't learn at least one new thing. Glad you found something good out of the situation. Hope you heal quickly and get back to soccer.

It's great that you found a silver lining in your fractured clavicle "dark cloud."
A "no pressure shave" is indeed a goal for which we all strive.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery !

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Great transition to lefty shaving. I can barely scratch my head with my left hand.

Great post and a good lesson learned. Many years ago, I damaged a nerve in my upper arm which paralysed my right hand. I was shaving with carts at the time, so that didn't get much worse than it already was. I worked as a motor mechanic and had to adapt to doing everything left handed for several months before the nerve started to reconnect. In that time, by far the most difficult thing was brushing my teeth. On more than one occasion I managed to get toothpaste IN MY EYE! I can't recommend it.

Get well soon!

Excellent post! You also provided me a great reminder to view difficult circumstances in a different light.
I pray you heal quickly and are able to pursue the joy of soccer again soon.

I'm very predominantly right handed and yet, for some reason I shave very, very well with my left hand. I also have major nerve damage going to my right arm from breaking my neck in a motorcycle crash. So, maybe my left hand shaving prowess is only in comparison to my compromised right hand. Either way, I get some great shaves

Interesting. I struggled for a long time with the right side of my neck. It was constantly irritated with all kinds of weepers. I ha e had no problems with the left side of my neck. I am right handed. I tried everything to improve the shave on the right side of my neck. Then I tried shaving that area with my left hand. At first I was apprehensive but the end result was magical. An irritation and weeper free shave.

Kudos on giving your non-dominant hand a try.

Top Bottom