What's new

Soap for very sensitive skin

So I recently took my first fore into the world of shaving soaps and bought some RazoRock Classic soap. I want to like it, but it burns the hell out of my skin and makes me break out in blotches. I've used it three times now and each time is worse. I used it this morning and my face is still burning. So I need a good soap for sensitive skin that also isn't heavily scented. What do you recommend? I would prefer if it's something readily available from a Canadian retailer.

Thanks!

Haslinger soaps are available from IB and aren't heavily scented. Can't really go wrong with any of them. I use the Aloe Vera variant with no issues, but others swear by Honey or Sage or Seaweed. Proraso White is nice as well. Mild scent and mild menthol.

The Haslingers sheep milk and lanolin is good for sensitive skin, unless your allergic/sensitive to lanolin.

Try the Nivea sensitive and/or original creams. Very good performing, easy on the skin, and readily available at Canadian Wal-Marts, shoppers drug marts, pharamsaves, and London drugs. Will cost $3.50-4.00 and $3.00-3.20 on sale. If u get the cream get some sensitive skin after shave balm also. Great stuff.

Haslinger soaps are available from IB and aren't heavily scented. Can't really go wrong with any of them. I use the Aloe Vera variant with no issues, but others swear by Honey or Sage or Seaweed. Proraso White is nice as well. Mild scent and mild menthol.

Thanks!

The Haslingers sheep milk and lanolin is good for sensitive skin, unless your allergic/sensitive to lanolin.

Try the Nivea sensitive and/or original creams. Very good performing, easy on the skin, and readily available at Canadian Wal-Marts, shoppers drug marts, pharamsaves, and London drugs. Will cost $3.50-4.00 and $3.00-3.20 on sale. If u get the cream get some sensitive skin after shave balm also. Great stuff.

I don't know if I'm allergic to lanolin.

I've used both the Nivea shaving creams for over a year, but I find they don't quite lather up enough for DE shaving. They're great for cartridges and disposables, but don't quite cut it for DE.

Nivea cream's don't lather enough for you. That's crappy. I find I get tonnes of lather from them same as Proraso creams. YMMV as they say. Another good cream for sensitive skin is the Proraso blue. I have the blue, green, and white and find the blue best for my skin, which is sensitive also. You can get the blue from Italian Barber, Badger shaving supplies, mensessentials, or fendrihan. All Vanadian based.
Baume-be cream is also very good for sensitive skin and there is a Canadian vendor out of BC that carries it, can't remember the vendor name though...
best of luck.

Nivea cream's don't lather enough for you. That's crappy. I find I get tonnes of lather from them same as Proraso creams. YMMV as they say. Another good cream for sensitive skin is the Proraso blue. I have the blue, green, and white and find the blue best for my skin, which is sensitive also. You can get the blue from Italian Barber, Badger shaving supplies, mensessentials, or fendrihan. All Vanadian based.
Baume-be cream is also very good for sensitive skin and there is a Canadian vendor out of BC that carries it, can't remember the vendor name though...
best of luck.

Thanks! Maybe I just need to work on my lathering technique? I find Nivea lathers a bit thin...maybe less water?

I've seen the Proraso stuff at Shopper's Drug Mart as well.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Some of you may find this a bit gross, but as a nurse I'm immune to gross, so here is my 2 pennies: not sure if you have it in The Great White North, but Cetaphil is a mild hypoallergenic soap. It's used extensively on diaper rash on incontinent folks. Worth a try, and if it doesn't lather to your liking, maybe someone you know can use it for a facial cleanser/makeup remover.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Also, I had great success with Paul Mitchell special tea tree shampoo to shave with. And one I could nearly guarantee to smell bad but feel good would be a pine tar based soap.

Some of you may find this a bit gross, but as a nurse I'm immune to gross, so here is my 2 pennies: not sure if you have it in The Great White North, but Cetaphil is a mild hypoallergenic soap. It's used extensively on diaper rash on incontinent folks. Worth a try, and if it doesn't lather to your liking, maybe someone you know can use it for a facial cleanser/makeup remover.

Yep, you can buy it here. I thought it sounded familiar actually!

Try Imperial Barber Grade Products. The have a great shave soap, and it's 100% unscented - there's literally no smell at all. They do tout an impressive "skin-healthy" ingredients list. Looks like Menessentials carries it ... pretty sure they're a Canadian retailer?

Thanks! Maybe I just need to work on my lathering technique? I find Nivea lathers a bit thin...maybe less water?

I've seen the Proraso stuff at Shopper's Drug Mart as well.

Try soaking your brush then squeezing the water out till it's just damp, not dripping, add about a 3/4 to 1" snurdle (yes that's actually what it's called according to the much wiser gentlemen than I on B&B) of Nivea cream and then face lather. If you find face lathering too hard on your skin bowl lathering will work just as well. Once you have some good lather going just add a touch of water at a time until your lather has a wet sheen to it. You don't want it to look airy or fluffy. You want it more wet/dense looking.

You wont find anything but Proraso green or white at a local pharmacy likely. If you do let me know which one. I tried getting shoppers drug mart to bring in Proraso red and blue but they never have.

Good luck.

I had the same reaction to RazoRock Classic. Cella did the same thing to me also. Turns out that my skin doesn't get along with those almond/marzipan scents. Halinger Aloe is lightly scented and a great soap to boot. Em's place has a soap called "Skindicinal" that I really like. It's glycerin based but a great soap. Good luck in your search.

Haslinger is very mild and does an awesome job, in any of the scents. Just be careful if you get the lanolin one, my skin isn't always great and it turns out lanolin reactions aren't pretty.

You don't necessary need something specially made for sensitive skin. Razorock is known to pour too much fragrance in some of their soaps.

I highly recommend Saponificio Varesino. I also have problems with some soaps that give me burn (even from Razorock), but I never had problems with SV soaps. They are very mild on allergens used in their soaps.

DR Harris could be another option, I recommend Windsor, as it's not heavily scented, I personally did not have any problems with DR Harris soaps as far as burning sensation go. As a matter of fact, their Naturals soap burned my face, that's supposedly made for sensitive skin.

For a more budget soap, Tabac could be a good pick. I rarely heard someone having burning sensation from it, and it's a good soap.

Midnight and Two and Tallow & Steel are both excellent soaps from Canadian makers. Both use essential oils instead of fragrance oils and both use excellent ingredients. Essential oils are more expensive but much less likely to cause a reaction. I'm not sure if you'd have a reaction to either but unfortunately you won't know until you try. You could always shoot them an email and ask them what they think and what they might recommend.

When choosing a soap do avoid things that are common for people to have a reaction to like Almond, Citrus and Cinnamon. I suspect you may have fallen victim to the Almond in the RazoRock soap.

Midnight and Two and Tallow & Steel are both excellent soaps from Canadian makers. Both use essential oils instead of fragrance oils and both use excellent ingredients. Essential oils are more expensive but much less likely to cause a reaction. I'm not sure if you'd have a reaction to either but unfortunately you won't know until you try. You could always shoot them an email and ask them what they think and what they might recommend.

When choosing a soap do avoid things that are common for people to have a reaction to like Almond, Citrus and Cinnamon. I suspect you may have fallen victim to the Almond in the RazoRock soap.

Thanks! I'll look those up.

Yeah, it's probably for the best if I stay away from the RazoRock soaps from now on.

Top Bottom