What's new

I must have a pretty forgettable face

Went paint shopping last Thursday in a t-shirt and jeans; lady told me the $25 a gallon paint was of very good value for me and perfect for what I wanted to do.

Went back this evening after work in a shirt and tie and talked to the same lady; now only $60 a gallon paint was appropriate.

Sometimes you just have to laugh.

That's why I always car shop in crap clothes. One dealership didn't even approach me. Left and bought somewhere else the same day. Too funny. Wife still laughs about that.

Same thing happened to my dad when he went to buy a new car. Tshirt and jeans, showed up in our antique Chevy we were currently restoring and looking like a train wreck but engine was solid, no one cared or gave him the time of day. He went down the street a few days later after work, people helped him and he bought the car. He then drove it to the first dealership and just let the manager know what happened and how he'd never support anyone going to the dealership for being that discriminatory.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
She's not a good salesperson. Everyone knows you start at the top and work your way down.

That's why I always car shop in crap clothes. One dealership didn't even approach me. Left and bought somewhere else the same day. Too funny. Wife still laughs about that.

I had this same experience at a local Subaru dealer the other month. Cargo shorts and a t-shirt, walked around the showroom, looked at a forrester and outback for at least 15 minutes, didn't get the time of day. Left and bought from another carmaker's dealership...

I had this same experience at a local Subaru dealer the other month. Cargo shorts and a t-shirt, walked around the showroom, looked at a forrester and outback for at least 15 minutes, didn't get the time of day. Left and bought from another carmaker's dealership...
Nice

She's not a good salesperson. Everyone knows you start at the top and work your way down.

I think my sarcasm was lost in text.

I'm heavily tattooed and have gotten completely snobbed at cigar shops, especially in Scottsdale, when I walk in wearing shorts, flipflops, and a T-shirt - it's freakin hot out here during summer. But when I've walked in after work wearing my scrubs with the tats covered, everybody is more than happy to help, by steering me towards the $20+ sticks. The one I go to now helped me find what I like regardless of my appearance or price of the cigars I'm looking for. Obviously by my nick here, I like my cigars, and have supported it rather nicely. News flash - most people in scrubs are working joes, not surgeons.

I once read a car salesman wanted the guys who show up on a Tuesday in cargo shorts and a t-shirt. He said those ones didn't work for anyone, they worked for themselves and had their own rules, therefore they had the money to afford the luxury cars he was selling.

I'm amazed at how little car salespeople (and other sales people) know about their products or cars in general (in my experience).

We drove the 250 miles or so to buy a Forester in Chicago because the Subaru dealership here is filled with pretentiousness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think my sarcasm was lost in text.

I'm heavily tattooed and have gotten completely snobbed at cigar shops, especially in Scottsdale, when I walk in wearing shorts, flipflops, and a T-shirt - it's freakin hot out here during summer. But when I've walked in after work wearing my scrubs with the tats covered, everybody is more than happy to help, by steering me towards the $20+ sticks. The one I go to now helped me find what I like regardless of my appearance or price of the cigars I'm looking for. Obviously by my nick here, I like my cigars, and have supported it rather nicely. News flash - most people in scrubs are working joes, not surgeons.

I did not even see your post above until I read this and got to thinking "what's he talking bout?" So I scrolled up to look.

We drove the 250 miles or so to buy a Forester in Chicago because the Subaru dealership here is filled with pretentiousness.

I think this was the same issue I ran into. I have tattoo's as well, which didn't likey help. I don't get why a Subaru dealership would be pretentious... It's not like they are a Mercedes or Ferrari or Lambo dealer... even if they were there is no reason to be pretentious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to a Ford dealer, bought an explorer, base model, don't need all the bells and whistles. Salesman asks about my credit, was it ok. I simply said, "I'll give you 20, you figure the rest out !". I got a look of disbelief, as if an old fart in jeans & t-shirt couldn't possibly have that for a down payment. He asked again and I replied "yes, 20 thousand" all of a sudden there were no more attitude problems- I probably should have gone elsewhere. Next time I surely will.

In the towns just off the Navajo (maybe others as well) Reservation, it was not uncommon for them to walk into the Chevy or Ford or Dodge dealer to buy a new truck. The experienced salespeople knew that these customers might or might not have good credit but it didn't really matter. Most of them paid cash.

And I had a good buddy, a mechanic and gas station owner. Always looked a mess and drove a 1965 Dart... carried about $3K in his pocket all the time and kept $15K in the floor safe at home.

A snotty attitude would just lose you the sale.
Books and Covers... you just can't tell.

Top Bottom