What's new

New pen

Is it common for a new pen to be a bit scratchy at first then smooth out after several pages? I bought a metropolitan fine nib. This is what it seems like it is doing.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
It shouldn't be true but often at the lower end pens nibs may need some tweeking. Test a few things. Write a few straight and curved lines and note if the scratchy feeling is most noticeable in certain directions. Also get a loupe and look at the nib. Is one tine higher than the other? Also make sure you are not rotating the nib on the paper.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Above is correct but you may also be simply getting used to how it writes and finding the sweet spot. Sometimes newer pens need to get the ink flowing well, which adds lubrication.

Congrats on the new pen!

Can cheap paper cause the scratchiness? I bought a note pad for the dollar store. I new this cheap paper but didn' want to spend to much if I did not like journaling. I do like journaling. I have since bought a Rhoda note pad. It should be here tomorrow. At least the ghosting through will stop.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Can cheap paper cause the scratchiness? I bought a note pad for the dollar store. I new this cheap paper but didn' want to spend to much if I did not like journaling. I do like journaling. I have since bought a Rhoda note pad. It should be here tomorrow. At least the ghosting through will stop.

Usually cheap paper will not cause scratchiness but does often cause fibers to get caught in the slit leaving blobby writing.

The note pad arrived and I have given it a trial run Ink does not ghost through and has a smoother texture. The pen does seem to write smoother. I might just be wishful thinking but I am happy believing in that wish.

The note pad arrived and I have given it a trial run Ink does not ghost through and has a smoother texture. The pen does seem to write smoother. I might just be wishful thinking but I am happy believing in that wish.

If you have a loupe have a look at the end of the nib, which should be aligned and look like 00, If the tines are lined up then look for an exceptionally smooth or polished stone, or a piece of flint would be ideal, even polished aluminium. With ink in the pen, smoothly make little circles on the stone, and figures of eight, small semi circles as ((( and ))), imperfections in the surface should soon disappear.

I got the nib nice and smooth. I used an Arkansas oil stone the smooth side with very light strokes. In a few different patterns. Then I did a few strokes on leather. I finished up writing a few pages in my journal. After all of this the scratchiness is gone. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I now like pen.

Top Bottom