What's new

Can you smell the musk in Clubman Musk?

Can you smell the musk in Clubman Musk?

• I smell it.

• I can't smell it.

• I gave details below.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I recently sampled all of the Clubman Aftershaves. One of the surprising things I found out is that I can't smell the musk or I only smell a little bit of it to me.

Clubman Musk smells like watered down regular Clubman to me.

Citrus Musk just smells like citrus with a tiny bit of laundry clean to me.

There is also supposed to be a hint of musk in Lime Sec that I don't smell either.

I know that some people can't smell some musks. I'm just wondering how common it is with the Clubman products.

Clubman Musk smells like watered down regular Clubman to me.

Same here. I get virtually no difference between the two, other than musk seeming milder / more dilute.

Citrus Musk smells like it has a lot more than just citrus to me though, so I might be smelling musk in there for all I know. I can definitely detect a lot more going on in Citrus Musk than in Lime Sec, for example.

I tried Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve, Bay Rum and Musk last year
The only one left in my rotation now is the Special Reserve
I didn't like the Bay Rum or the Musk

I especially didn't like the scent of the Musk, if it didn't say "Musk" on the label I'd have never guessed that it was musk in a million years.
That stinky stuff reminded me too much of cheap ladies' perfume - I could imagine "cheap ladies" wearing it while they stood on street corners "hawking the mutton" to passing kerb crawlers !!
I like Jovan Musk, I like Old Spice Musk, I like Aqua Velva Musk - I wouldn't use Pinaud Clubman Musk again if it was free !!

As an afterthought............

YMMV

Last edited:
White or xylol musk has a sweet smell. I. Believe that is the musk in the Pinaud products. Smells similar to me anyhow.

I have grown to like clubman musk. I think it to be quite different than the very Lavender Clubman.

I'm disappointed with what I've been reading here that people are saying that the musk smells like the original scent. I've been wanting to try the musk but if it smells a lot like the original scent, that would be a deal breaker. The original scent is so sweet and cloying that I didn't like it even after wanting to like it. I did kind of like the original several hours after applying it when the overwhelming stench cloud finally died down. I really like the citrus musk. The thing about the citrus musk is that it has two stages. When applied, all you can really smell is the citrus. When the citrus starts dying down, then the musk starts asserting itself though it's pretty subtle. I just wish it had more staying power. So the musk doesn't smell like the citrus musk once the citrus scent goes away?

I sampled the whole Clubman line with my wife yesterday & she & I liked the Bay Rum best & that is what I bought.

Slawman

I agree that the Musk seems very watered down. Not the traditional musk scent I'm used to. However, I like the citrus musk

I agree that the Clubman musk just smells like diluted Clubman. I smell no actual musk in it. And I love musk aftershaves, so it was a big let down in that regard.

Also, there's no vanilla scent in Clubman Vanilla.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
No, so I added some AV Musk. :tongue_sm

Now it smells like Clubman Musk ... should. Allegedly it has "white musk" which is more pure and fainter smelling, as I think I recall.

AA

I'm disappointed with what I've been reading here that people are saying that the musk smells like the original scent. I've been wanting to try the musk but if it smells a lot like the original scent, that would be a deal breaker. The original scent is so sweet and cloying that I didn't like it even after wanting to like it. I did kind of like the original several hours after applying it when the overwhelming stench cloud finally died down. I really like the citrus musk. The thing about the citrus musk is that it has two stages. When applied, all you can really smell is the citrus. When the citrus starts dying down, then the musk starts asserting itself though it's pretty subtle. I just wish it had more staying power. So the musk doesn't smell like the citrus musk once the citrus scent goes away?

Citrus Musk is a nice sent. I didn't run out to buy a bottle, but it was pleasant. I smell a tiny amount of fresh laundry that is a type of musk in Citrus Musk. I don't smell that in Culbman Musk.

I agree that the Musk seems very watered down. Not the traditional musk scent I'm used to. However, I like the citrus musk
+1 Of the 3 scents with musk notes, Clubman Musk, Citrus Musk, and Lime Sec, I strongly prefer Citrus Musk.

I agree that the Clubman musk just smells like diluted Clubman. I smell no actual musk in it. And I love musk aftershaves, so it was a big let down in that regard.

Also, there's no vanilla scent in Clubman Vanilla.
There is a faint tonka sweet hay note hiding in there. I agree it doesn't smell like Vanilla. I love it anyway.

No, so I added some AV Musk. :tongue_sm

Now it smells like Clubman Musk ... should. Allegedly it has "white musk" which is more pure and fainter smelling, as I think I recall.
AA

I love AV Musk. I finished an entire bottle in record time. I think it probably smells great blended with Clubman Musk.

Thanks again to everyone that responded to this thread! I'm glad that my nose isn't too far off here.

Top Bottom