Tofu, Tofu, Tofu

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Now what?

$IMG_2415[1].jpg

I looks real...I think?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What would you like to do with it? There are all kinds of different ways you can prepare it.

I'm thinking a Thai curry vegetable tofu soup. I've eaten tofu lot's of times, just haven't made any at the house....It wasn't on my bucket list.

Last edited:
I'm thinking a Thai curry vegetable tofu soap. I've eaten tofu lot's of times, just haven't made any at the house....It wasn't on my bucket list.

That sounds like a good thing to do with it. It'll absorb a good amount of the flavor from the soup. If you want it to absorb more, you can drain it about an hour before you are planning to cook it, slice it thick, and gently press it or just let it sit in a colander so that some of the water comes out of it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That sounds like a good thing to do with it. It'll absorb a good amount of the flavor from the soup. If you want it to absorb more, you can drain it about an hour before you are planning to cook it, slice it thick, and gently press it or just let it sit in a colander so that some of the water comes out of it.

Should I apply a weight?

Last edited:
Should I apply a weight?

You can, but it isn't necessary. I've never purchased medium hard, so I don't know how easy it crumbles. My experience is only with firm (highly recommended) the vacuum pack stuff that doesn't need refrigeration (only useful if the you need to make a dip or some other really smooth thing).

I mostly use tofu to add to a vegetable stir fry when i've no left over meat to throw in. You can put a weight on top to squeeze more water out but i usually have firm tofu and no water comes out.

Cube to ~1/2". Fry it to a nice crisp outside, single layer in a wok, my wok will do half the block in a single layer.

Wipe out the wok add all the tofu back into the scorching wok, flavour with soy sauce and sambal oelek. Remove from wok and add to other dishes. My wife and daughter will put it in a salad, people will just steal cubes as fast as you can finish if you let them.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
dave

The cubes are best freshly made as they have a crispy hard outer crust, as leftovers they taste the same but the crust is gone and it's the same texture throughout, disappointing but in a mixed crunchy vegetable stir fry not an issue. I've done stir fries three nights a week for a couple decades now and never tire of the variety and variations in every bite. And my favourite way to use any leftover meats.

dave

edit, Friday's

Last edited:
If you coat them with a cornstarch, you'll get a lasting crust. It won't be crispy for leftovers, but I know people seem to like it.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Short cut Hot and Sour soup.

2 quarts of chicken stock
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 vinegar
Heaping table spoon sriracha
Mushrooms . . . even sliced white button will do but maybe cloud ears . . . as many as you like
Bamboo shoots
chopped up left over pork or chicken
1/4" strips of tofu
Once everything is boiling drizzle in a beaten egg . . .a la egg drop soup.
Thicken if you like with up to 3 tbsp of corn starch mixed with 3 tbsp of water.
Garnish with chopped green onions

Short cut Hot and Sour soup.

2 quarts of chicken stock
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 vinegar
Heaping table spoon sriracha
Mushrooms . . . even sliced white button will do but maybe cloud ears . . . as many as you like
Bamboo shoots
chopped up left over pork or chicken
1/4" strips of tofu
Once everything is boiling drizzle in a beaten egg . . .a la egg drop soup.
Thicken if you like with up to 3 tbsp of corn starch mixed with 3 tbsp of water.
Garnish with chopped green onions
Looks delicious! I normally use lemon juice, but vinegar is more like a restaurant.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I was in one of the largest tofu factories (outside of Shenzhen) once. Have not been able to eat it since...

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Toss it in the trash and get yourself some red meat to eat instead!

This is still an option.

I was in one of the largest tofu factories (outside of Shenzhen) once. Have not been able to eat it since...

You would feel the same about beef, pork and chicken in a butcher shop in Mexico City.

I enjoy tofu but never go out of my way to order it. I will follow the thread curious to see what you make!

I'm leaning toward making the soup.

We first used tofu to make an apple/tofu spread for toast but that recipe is long lost. Was a tasty alternative at breakfast.

We freeze/thaw/crumble a block of tofu and use that to make Shepherds Pie. Mushroom gravy using portabellos, shiitakes, buttons and dried porcinis, potatoes loaded with heavy cream, butter and salt, mashed potatoes that i'll even eat, vegetables... works well.

proxy.php

proxy.php
dave

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
You would feel the same about beef, pork and chicken in a butcher shop in Mexico City.

Nope LOL grew up with our butcher shop in our 'front yard'. Rendered the fat out back. Worked in packing plants too.

Nothing wrong with the cleanliness of the tofu plants or workers, it was just the smell of curdled bean sprouts. Poor ventilation. Hot and humid. It was just too much.

Steam it under a damp towel in a microwave. Sprinkle a few sesame seeds and serve with kim chi or your favorite dipping sauce.

Top Bottom