What's new

TAOS Soap discriminating tallow vs new formulation by appearance

Hello good sirs,

Is there an easy and surefire way to discriminate by appearance old tallow versus new formulation Art of Shaving soap pucks? I'd like to pick up some of the old tallow sandalwood and want to make sure I'm buying the correct product. I don't trust all vendors to know the difference.

Thanks,
Handjam

The soap also has a different imprint compared to the old formula. The AOS logo is larger and enclosed in a circle. It is a little difficult to appreciate from this photo, but the new soap is also significantly more yellow and less brown in color than the old formula. Scent is essentially the same from a "sandalwood" component, but the clay note is gone.

View attachment 691309

Older tallow formula AOS pucks looked like this with no oval stamped on the puck.

$wm_normal_aos_sandalwood1.jpg

If you're looking at a soap in the box the old tallow versions say made in Italy while the newer versions say made in U.S.A. I'd still open the box and look for the proper imprint but if you stumble upon some old stock at an AOS store you'll be able to quickly tell from the boxes without opening them all up.

Not that I am aware of. The only one left on the market is Sandalwood.
You might want to post WTB, a few member should still have some stashed away. :)

Top Bottom