What's new

Been using an Omega Boar 10005 for a year. What would be a nice second brush?

I really have no idea what to look for. I like this brush and will continue to use it, but I don't know what would be a nice alternative. I knew nothing about brushes when I bought this one....it was in a drug store and gave it a try.

I'm flexible with price, but most likely $20-$30 or under.

Is a RazoRock synthetic worth trying?

Definitely!!!
Maggard also has that type knot.... so does Stirling... take your pick. RazoRock does have the cooler handle choices.

Semogue boar is another one to consider...

Or a good Badger, but they can set you back a good bit financially

When I first started in this venture I bought two badgers. In the last year I bought a boar. My two badgers have now taken a back seat.

But if you need another brush, follow the suggestions that have been mentioned.

I have badger, boar, and synthetic brushes. Badger is really my favorite, then boar, then synthetic. However, that does not mean synthetics aren't good, because they work great and I'd highly recommend you get one if your budget is to stay under $30.

With your budget as a consideration I would have to highly recommend a Razorock plissoft synthetic brush. They work great, are super soft but still have backbone, and dry quickly so are versatile for use as a travel brush. I have an omega 10066, a razorock plissoft, and a Rudy Vey 3 band silvertip badger. The first two were under $20CAD and the last one about $120USD. Now I wouldn't trade the Rudy Vey by any stretch but the other two do everything the RV does. After all they build lather and get it on your face. Once you have a more extensive budget and are looking for a great badger brush I would highly recommend contacting Rudy Vey.

Low budget for badger (my personal favorite) so I would pick a different brand of boar or consider horse. My preference is natural hair!

The 10005... how many Omega boar models are there? Seems like I could learn about a new one each day for a year on the forums if I looked for them.

Well anyway OP you have plenty of options. I'd say a synthetic or horsehair for variety.
Likely in that price range for badger you'll find pure or best grade. I'd say wait and pay a bit more to get a 2 band, high mountain or silvertip if you want a badger.

Though I have an Omega 10083 and it's used as much as my silvertip and Envy White. It just seems to hold the perfect amount of water without shaking or squeezing to perfectly lather anything. Big, soft tips, nice backbone lather monster for $11.

how many Omega boar models are there?

A lot, probably over a hundred, but there are about 7-8 types of knots for most of them, but with different handles. Hair is the same grade, the construction of the loft differs. You have small ones, that are about 23x45-50 (10005, 13564, 40033), the medium ones, around 24x55 (10066, 11126 ), the pro ones, 27x55 (Proraso, 83, 108), 27x60 (49), 27x65 (48), and two variants, dyed and undyed for some of them.

The producer does not really give dimensions for each brush, so you will see those differing from one store to another.

The 10005... how many Omega boar models are there? Seems like I could learn about a new one each day for a year on the forums if I looked for them.

Well anyway OP you have plenty of options. I'd say a synthetic or horsehair for variety.
Likely in that price range for badger you'll find pure or best grade. I'd say wait and pay a bit more to get a 2 band, high mountain or silvertip if you want a badger.

Though I have an Omega 10083 and it's used as much as my silvertip and Envy White. It just seems to hold the perfect amount of water without shaking or squeezing to perfectly lather anything. Big, soft tips, nice backbone lather monster for $11.

I didn't even know what it was. I saw it in a drug store and thought I'd give it a try. It's still my one and only brush.

When I looked it up online, it said it's a 24mm knot.

The Omega Pro 49 boar is awesome. The Razorock 22mm Disruptor synthetic is awesome for me as well. Both are lather hogs & splay nicely on my face. You can google a brush of your choice & get lots of user reviews on it.

I didn't even know what it was. I saw it in a drug store and thought I'd give it a try. It's still my one and only brush.

When I looked it up online, it said it's a 24mm knot.

Looks like a 10066 knot in a wooden handle.

Have you narrowed down what your next brush will be at least some?

For horse: I'd go with Vie-Long 04312

Synthetic: a RazoRock Plissoft

Boar: an Omega 10049 or Proraso brush. Think 10083 is same as Proraso. I'll let someone else chime in on Semogue as there's plenty of models of those as well.

Badger: TGN or Whipped Dog are good value. TGN finest or silvertip or WD High Mountain or silvertip.

Looks like a 10066 knot in a wooden handle.

Have you narrowed down what your next brush will be at least some?

For horse: I'd go with Vie-Long 04312

Synthetic: a RazoRock Plissoft

Boar: an Omega 10049 or Proraso brush. Think 10083 is same as Proraso. I'll let someone else chime in on Semogue as there's plenty of models of those as well.

Badger: TGN or Whipped Dog are good value. TGN finest or silvertip or WD High Mountain or silvertip.

For now I'm going to put it on the back burner. The brush I have serves me well. I like all the suggestions though. If I do get another, I'll either try the RazoRock synthetic, or another Omega boar.

For now I'm going to put it on the back burner. The brush I have serves me well. I like all the suggestions though. If I do get another, I'll either try the RazoRock synthetic, or another Omega boar.

Nothing wrong with that! I'm not a collector myself just hanging around B&B stuff just kind of ends up in my possession.:lol:

I'm up to a 3 brush rotation that I'm happy with and have no desire to add more. An Omega 10083 boar, Frank Shave 26mm silvertip badger and Envy White 24mm fan in a stainless handle I turned.

The 10083 I've been using since May, the silvertip was PIFed to me shortly after and the Envy White just because I wanted to turn the aforementioned handle.

Nothing wrong with that! I'm not a collector myself just hanging around B&B stuff just kind of ends up in my possession.:lol:

I'm up to a 3 brush rotation that I'm happy with and have no desire to add more. An Omega 10083 boar, Frank Shave 26mm silvertip badger and Envy White 24mm fan in a stainless handle I turned.

The 10083 I've been using since May, the silvertip was PIFed to me shortly after and the Envy White just because I wanted to turn the aforementioned handle.

I had been looking at the Italian Barber website, and every time I do I start thinking of things I could add to get free shipping, but I really don't need anything right now, so I'm backing away. Sure, there's stuff I'd like to have, but I feel better having less stuff.

I had been looking at the Italian Barber website, and every time I do I start thinking of things I could add to get free shipping, but I really don't need anything right now, so I'm backing away. Sure, there's stuff I'd like to have, but I feel better having less stuff.

That would work well. Next time you need to order some soap or blades or something add one of the big Omega's to your cart. They're only $9 - $12 and should be different enough from your 10005 to be worth using.

From left to right here's my 10083 next to the 10066 which I bought to put in a starter kit PIF. I lathered it one time to start break in and the 10083 felt a bit denser and a little more backbone even though it has a longer loft. Still has nice soft tips and great for bowl lathering. It's large splay makes it messy on face but I still face lather with it. Next is that Envy White I mentioned already then the Frank Shaving silvertip. Last is a TGN finest fan in an aluminum handle I made for my Dad. I used that as well and it was hard to give away. Little softer and less backbone than the Envy White. Somewhere between it and the silvertip for softness and backbone so it was great all around.
20160722_190539.jpg

That would work well. Next time you need to order some soap or blades or something add one of the big Omega's to your cart. They're only $9 - $12 and should be different enough from your 10005 to be worth using.

From left to right here's my 10083 next to the 10066 which I bought to put in a starter kit PIF. I lathered it one time to start break in and the 10083 felt a bit denser and a little more backbone even though it has a longer loft. Still has nice soft tips and great for bowl lathering. It's large splay makes it messy on face but I still face lather with it. Next is that Envy White I mentioned already then the Frank Shaving silvertip. Last is a TGN finest fan in an aluminum handle I made for my Dad. I used that as well and it was hard to give away. Little softer and less backbone than the Envy White. Somewhere between it and the silvertip for softness and backbone so it was great all around.
20160722_190539.jpg

Those all look really nice! I'll read up on each one when I'm not so tired!

This one caught my eye.

http://www.italianbarber.com/collections/brushes/products/omega-10019-100-boar-bristle-shaving-brush

Top Bottom