What's new

Need Advice for Correcting a Deficiency in Technique

I've noticed that I sometimes have a slight tendency to rotate my pen clockwise when writing. With most pens, this doesn't prove to be a real problem, but with one in particular, my M200 with a 14k gold nib, it gets scratchy when I do that. I think what's happening is that the rotation causes the lower tine to lift as all the writing pressure is on jus that tine, and the inner edge of the opposite tine is exposed causing it to fell scratchy.

I'd like to correct this tendency rather than having the nib custom ground to an oblique. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Do you rotate right from the start and stay there, or does the pen keep turning slowly during your writing?

If the former, just hold it turned "too much the other way" to start, so your natural turn turns it to perfect writing position. Otherwise, I'd say get a "triangle grip" pen like a Lamy Safary so it gives you constant corrective feedback so you learn not to turn.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I don't think its so much the pen that's rotating as my wrist.
Yes, it is likely that you are not writing using your arm. If you learn to move your whole arm instead of just your wrist the problem will go away...BUT, it is something you need to practice and feels weird at first.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Sounds like something you can consciously work to perfect.

Reminds me of the old Henny Youngman joke.
The patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
"Then don't do that!"

Try consciously lifting your arm and repositioning it further down the line every few words, rather than writing s while line with your arm in the same spot.

I've been practicing using my arm and adjusting my grip to be more accommodating to that technique. Also, remembering to lift my arm and reposition so that my wrist doesn't bend to the right as I'm moving along the page seems to be helping. Writing like this is also more relaxing.

Top Bottom