What's new

Going Straight: I Can't See (Help?

I don't think I'll ever want to use a straight razor on an every day basis, but I would like to be able to shave well with one and maybe use it as a Sunday-go-to-meeting razor, celebrate the first of the month, or something like that.

So on the advice of some folks here (thanks!) I bought a beginner's kit, including a "sight unseen" razor from Whipped Dog. Larry hooked me up with a shave-ready vintage Bismark razor, leather strop, balsa strop, and some other things for a great price. [Great guy btw].

I've researched technique and watched some Youtube videos. Trying to mimic the grip and techniques I've seen, I've been "shadow-shaving" in the mirror with my new razor, keeping the blade from making contact while mimicking the motions.

My problem is I can't see the blade against my face very well. My when "shaving" my right side with my right hand, my right hand obscures the view out of my right eye. Corresponding problem on the left side. With a DE safety razor, I shave my whole face with my dominant right hand, and I'm comfortable with parts of my left side being obscured from view. But the blocked view while holding the straight razor is more extensive. And [gulp] it's a straight razor. Is that just something you get used to, or am I holding the razor incorrectly?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

I have the same problem. I have found out however that the cheeks are not a problem, the chin and upper lip is where i cut myself and luckily i am able to see these areas as i shave them. Other than that, there is nothing else to say (i think) than to just get used to it.

There are two solutions to this common problem, in order: 1) leap of faith; and 2) practice, practice, practice. Blind spots occur. With practice we know where to place the razor, even without a clear view. But you'll need to spend some time in front of the mirror working the angles out. Once a month may not get you there anytime soon.

As Larry said practice,practice, practice.... I know that sounds like a lame answer but it took me months and months to work out a 3 pass technique i was happy with and what works for one guy may work for the next 10 guys as you will have to find what works for you, for me i normally do with WTG going down for the first pass the the second pass is XTG from ears to nose (Cheeks only) then my last is ATG from neck up to cheeks.

I have a couple of blind spots shaving. Really just by my ears when I am holding the razor and stretching the skin. I do switch hands to hold the razor depending on the pass and location. At this point I just kind of got used to it. I still really take my time at those areas though, just to be safe. I switched from a square point to a round point which has cut back on the small nicks here and there. Just remember to go slow and light where you can't see to minimize errors :) Since you are not planning to use one daily, maybe look into those practice razors people sell. They just don't have an edge, so you can actually run them on your skin maybe.

I'm not bothered by blind spots. Proper technique and angle will keep the razor from cutting you. You can feel the blade on your skin when you are actually shaving, so looking at it isn't that important. I only really worry about my ears. As long as I'm confident the razor won't hit my ears, I don't really need to see anything else. If it weren't for ears and a worry about uneven sideburns, I think I could manage blindfolded.

Yup...more muscle memory than anything. Try moving your head into a different position. You know there are no rules in this game other than stretch your skin enough...try different blade paths.

One thing for sure is this takes serious practice and being a once in a while straight user while learn will lead to an incredibly long learning curve....i suggest you give it a good go every day till your comfortable then lay back....YMMV but....

Thanks a lot guys. This is all very helpful. I'm going to work with a butter knife for a bit then binge-shave daily with the straight for a month or so. The idea that we beginners can't develop muscle memory by occasional use makes a lot of sense.

I'm cheered knowing that I'm Type O positive, which is the most common blood type, and that the hospital isn't that far away. Plus I figure we have that extra ear for a reason.

You'll find over your first dozen shaves or so that the blind spots get a lot smaller as you learn to angle your face toward the mirror a little differently. It's hard to articulate, but it happens.

Also, consider growing your sideburns down to the middle or bottom of your ear ;)

Top Bottom